David Bowie - RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

12507242_10156286555625276_7542810261273314184_n.jpg

It's so extraordinarily depressing to see musical legends pass on. First Lemmy, now David Bowie.

My favourite era of his was probably 1971-1974 (so around his glam era). I'll be sure to check out his new album - no doubt it's pregnant with more poignancy than before.

RIP.

This one hits hard. This man is a game changer.

70s - Elvis Presley
80s - John Lennon
90s - Freddie Mercury
00s - Michael Jackson
10s - David Bowie

That's as good as we had in the 20th century, that's absolute elite company for popular culture.

I am finding myself listening to Stevie Wonder heaps. I think this goes to show we've got to appreciate the true visionaries and artists in an era where celebrity is clouding an incredible art form.

McCartney & Wonder are truly the only two alive today that could cause me to be as shattered as I was by the deaths of MJ and Ziggy.

I'll be watching the original Zoolander tonight, loved him in that.

It was 1973 and we were driving back from Perth across the Nullabor before they sealed the road. It was a crystal clear night with stars twinkling in their millions. We were able to pick up a radio signal from somewhere and then Space Oddity came on. It was so beautiful and ethereal out there under the stars and that memory has stayed with me to this day and still takes me back to that night every time I hear that amazing song.

Strangely enough my other favourite Bowie song is a cover, I absolutely love his version of Sorrow. He completely makes it his own and leaves the original in his giant shadow.

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring".
David Bowie

http://www.bowiedownunder.com/

This is a cracking website, something for all the yesteryear tour nerds much like myself. It's incredible to think people camped out for a week for tickets, and then people tripled that – almost a month of queueing – to get front row seats for his MCG show. Bloody hell. That is the stuff of legend, but also of legends.

I still think sometimes the world is a good place for just a little while when stars align. Some good people aren't afforded good things, but sometimes they are. Makes it more special, really. I know that when Heroes came across the radio, the weird half-hot and half-rained out day ended up a yellow one... it was weird, like cellophane was everywhere, or right in your retina. My friend on an island off SA said the sky went pink when he heard about it. All of the meteorology aside, how rare is it that a musician or any artist gets to go out with a genuine, final statement? A genuinely goodbye that they can craft? Good on him, good on the world for randomly working in a randomly alright time for a random dude.
Look at that 1978 setlist:

Melbourne Set List:

1. Warszawa
2. "Heroes"
3. What In The World
4. Be My Wife
5. The Jean Genie
6. Blackout
7. Sense Of Doubt
8. Breaking Glass
9. Fame
10. Beauty And The Beast
11. Five Years
12. Soul Love
13. Star
14. Hang On To Yourself
15. Ziggy Stardust
16. Suffragette City
17. Art Decade
18. Alabama Song
19. Station To Station
20. Stay
21. Rebel Rebel

Unreal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one hits hard. This man is a game changer.

70s - Elvis Presley
80s - John Lennon
90s - Freddie Mercury
00s - Michael Jackson
10s - David Bowie

That's as good as we had in the 20th century, that's absolute elite company for popular culture.

I am finding myself listening to Stevie Wonder heaps. I think this goes to show we've got to appreciate the true visionaries and artists in an era where celebrity is clouding an incredible art form.

McCartney & Wonder are truly the only two alive today that could cause me to be as shattered as I was by the deaths of MJ and Ziggy.

I'll be watching the original Zoolander tonight, loved him in that.
Springsteen?

Blown away by this news, a true legend. Flicking through Facebook the next day it hit me how many different songs were put up as a person's fave, just goes to show how diverse his music was.

So glad I went to the exhibition in Melbourne just a few months ago.

I just feel very sad, but not shocked. I've attended 3 funerals in the last year, so death is no stranger to me.

Bowie was the music of my late teens/early 20s at uni, combined with a good whack of drugs.

Hard for me to pick favourites, but they would be from albums from the start to Heroes.

Saw Bowie twice live, first in 1978 and also the later Let's dance tour.

Here's how the 1978 concert I saw started.

Go full screen, full volume and turn out your lights, the train is coming

Station to Station, just love that track. Starts with a train sound effect, then the music kicks in sounding kind of like a death march, building up, and then Bowie comes in "The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers' eyes" What a start to a tune!

Station to Station, just love that track. Starts with a train sound effect, then the music kicks in sounding kind of like a death march, building up, and then Bowie comes in "The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers' eyes" What a start to a tune!
A brilliant train sound made on guitar by (I think) Earl Slick. Apologies if you knew this.

My favourite track and favourite album of his!

The next line is just as great and profound too - "Here are we, one magical moment. Such is the stuff from where dreams are woven."

Got a real shock when I picked up the paper the other day to see him on the front page. Very sad news. Really like a lot of his songs, but China Girl, Modern Love and Lets Dance off Lets Dance are just some of my all time favs. Just love them and also the live concert footage of them from back then.

RIP David. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsu:

"The stars are never sleeping,
The dead ones and the living"

Hit the nail on he head here in The Stars (Are Out Tonight). There's even a few more tracks on The Next Day that could now be interpreted as signalling the beginning on the end, not to mention the one long death note that is Blackstar. Stayed up with my housemate until 4am on Monday night, spinning Blackstar four or fives times and throwing back some whisky. There's some truly haunting stuff on there. Where the heck did Monday go?

Hunky Dory, Low, Diamond Dogs and The Next Day will always be my favourite albums. Hard to play favourite tracks, but these top the pile for me:
Subterraneans
The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Andy Worhol
We Are the Dead
Lady Stardust
Cracked Actor
Heathen (The Rays)
Beauty and the Beast
Be My Wife
Suffragette City
Aladdin Sane (1913-1938-197?)
Modern Love
The Bewlay Brothers

Last edited:
Have just discovered that Bowie narrated a version of Peter and The Wolf in 1978. It's available on YouTube and goes for nearly half an hour if you're interested. They played this version on ABC Classical FM Radio 2-3 days ago.

Have just discovered that Bowie narrated a version of Peter and The Wolf in 1978. It's available on YouTube and goes for nearly half an hour if you're interested. They played this version on ABC Classical FM Radio 2-3 days ago.
It's also available on CD and Vinyl.

Here is a picture of my most prized Bowie memorabilia.

Bowie9.jpg

R.I.P David Bowie. Despite only being 23, he has had a resounding impact on my musical tastes. An absolutely incredibly talented musician and a true entertainer in every sense of the word. An absolutely devastating loss to the music industry, and even more tragic it was only a couple of days after his 69th birthday. I shall always be proud to have shared a January 8 birthday with you and Elvis, David. May you rest in peace, and your legacy live on!

My Birthday too. Devestated at his passing. Had just bought the latest album on Sunday with my 'birthday money'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back