Play Nice The CAS Appeal thread - update: appeal fails (11/10/16)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the appeal specifically against the verdict or the penalty? Typically appeals against a punishment also open the gate for an increase in that punishment, I'd be interested to know if that's possible here

Is the appeal specifically against the verdict or the penalty? Typically appeals against a punishment also open the gate for an increase in that punishment, I'd be interested to know if that's possible here

No. Its an appeal against the decision based on 'errors of law' and 'lack of jurisdiction'. That is what has been announced so far. Nothing has actually happened to this point of time

No idea as details have not come out

No, as the players got the max penalty, two years.

The longer they drag it out, the more notorious they become, even if they eventually get off. No one remembers much about the Carlton salary cap cheating but we all know the details of the Bombers' case to the nth degree because they keep it in the news. With RDT etc now open and Hawthorn going for an extraordinary fourth in a row we should all have better things to do than talking about these schmucks, I wish they'd just go away.

The most hilarious part is if they'd bent over on day one the punishment would have been so minor. They've dragged it on so long that they're almost self-flagellating now.

Slobbo Robinson made a comment on SEN yesterday that if the players seek an injunction then they would be free to play until the appeal is heard.

Same goes for the decision on Jab Watson's Brownlow.

I'm glad we don't have the same rules for criminal justice.

"Yes, you're in jail for robbing a bank but now that you've appealed we'll let you out until you've had your next day in court!!

What an absolute load of crap it is that insurance will be paying for this appeal for Essendon.

No legit insurance company in the world would provide a policy that provides for an action like this.

I think when the article mentions insurers it means 'insurers', essentially wealthy benefactors and coteries prepared to pay the cost and in a very loose sense providing 'insurance'. In actual fact it is charity.

"But admiration goes to the players. They could’ve laid down and accepted the CAS finding or stood up and fought for their lives"

Absolute gag.

Making drug cheats out to be heroes, what an embarrassment.

Yes heroic brave all of those things.

It's all legal wrangling now, everyone knows they screwed up but everyone wants to blame everyone else and take no responsibility.

I think we should just wipe the entire club off the map, they have no integrity, no remorse, nothing. They stand for all that is wrong in modern society.

Either that or get a broom through the place and say in no uncertain terms they screwed up and they are starting a new chapter based on a completely different culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we thought the 360 meltdown after CAS was epic.

I honestly couldn't give two figs about the players' side of things in this...not that I cared all that much to begin with.

But FMD...I CANNOT WAIT for Robbo's reaction if this appeal goes nowhere. I am expecting the seal to finally break and tears to ensue.

But FMD...I CANNOT WAIT for Robbo's reaction if this appeal goes nowhere. I am expecting the seal to finally break and tears to ensue.

Tears of despair at the injustice of it all.

It's so unfair on the players, not just the Essendon players, but it casts a slur on everyone who has ever pulled on an AFL jumper.
The AFL is our national game, it is what the Anzacs fought for.
The players would never deliberately cheat. It is not the Australian way.
You only have to talk to Jobe, to James, to know they are decent honourable people who the system and others have let down.
But really what else would you expect; a Swiss Court looking after the interests of CAS rather than the wronged players.

It is a sad day for the players, for the AFL, for sport in this country, but also, even more importantly a sad day for Australia.

Gee, if the appeal is simply based on jurisdiction, mainly whether the CAS can hear the appeal "de novo", this could be the shortest court case in history. Can't believe they're that stupid as to base their appeal on those grounds. Everyone knows CAS appeals are "de novo" and nothing in the AFL anti-doping code says otherwise. Essendon go from one bumble to another.

Gee, if the appeal is simply based on jurisdiction, mainly whether the CAS can hear the appeal "de novo", this could be the shortest court case in history. Can't believe they're that stupid as to base their appeal on those grounds.

I think the question is going to be asked as to whether CAS should be ruling on an Australian sporting competition in a sport largely limited to Australia.

Tears of despair at the injustice of it all.

It's so unfair on the players, not just the Essendon players, but it casts a slur on everyone who has ever pulled on an AFL jumper.
The AFL is our national game, it is what the Anzacs fought for.
The players would never deliberately cheat. It is not the Australian way.
You only have to talk to Jobe, to James, to know they are decent honourable people who the system and others have let down.
But really what else would you expect; a Swiss Court looking after the interests of CAS rather than the wronged players.

It is a sad day for the players, for the AFL, for sport in this country, but also, even more importantly a sad day for Australia.

Now that you've posted an actual Robbo transcript, how about having a crack at a parody...

I think the question is going to be asked as to whether CAS should be ruling on an Australian sporting competition in a sport largely limited to Australia.

AFL signed up to the WADA code. They are bolund by it. Plus it's a part of the AFL rules as a document known as the AFL Anti-doping Code. That'd be seen as binding. Reading Chip on the SEN site though and he said the appeal about how the appeal should've been conducted.

Last edited:

Does not make any sense.

What about a sport that is played in about 12 countries?

What about a sport that is played in about 50 countries?

What about a sport that is played in 100 countries?

Does not matter.

Rules is rules, once you sign up the rules is rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back