Review R1: Port v St kilda Review

Remove this Banner Ad

ROBBIE GRAY JUST MADE ME 1300 BUCKS YOU ****EN BEAUTIFUL campaignerS!!!!!!!
Kind of...

Took advantage of a $50 deposit, $150 (split into three) bonus bet promotion. Now have to turnover the $50 bonus bet + the $1250 of winnings, twice, at odds of 1.5 or more.

So what happens when we play like that in the first 3 against a quality top 8 or 4 side? We were lucky to not be further behind at every break. We were lucky they tired more then we did. Obviously a good side will bury an opposition when given a look, and we did. But if this is a preview of our season we are in for another frustrating year.
Remember we were all hoping those crappy losses were hiccups and things would improve last year. So while I'm happy we came away with a 5 goal win at the end of the day I'm not going to get excited because we should never have been in that position against a lower ranked team like St Kilda for three quarters of football. And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way to the Saints.
Round 1 form is a fickle beast, I suspect that hitout today will prepare us better for next week rather than coming off a soft game against a rabble of an opponent.. St. Kilda have shown some glimpses of quality under Richo not just today, they are capable of causing a few upsets this year IMO.

Why the **** has our midfield turned to absolute s**t the minute we lost Walsh and Richardson? ****s sake.
Individually they all have their games but it doesn't seem like they all put it together well. Lobbe also not playing as well isn't helping.

It's not even the loss of clearances that bothers me so much as the way we lost them. They waltzed out after one handball, no pressure at all on them.

We played so dangerously. It wasn't exciting, it was ******* rubbish. Strongly considering cashing out my port premiers bet if we aren't looking top s**t by round 4 or 5.

I am gonna say it....

I love the new out of bounds rule....and the 90 cap

Its suits us ...and our fitness and pisses off paul roos/ross lyon game plans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 football... Doesn't have to be convincing, just need to get the points and work on the deficiencies. Every team would have things to work on, its always better when you get the 4 points despite playing poorly.

I thought we played poorly for large parts, credit to St. Kilda they pushed us for three and a half quarters and our fitness carried us home, but we were poor. In the first quarter alone I reckon 3 of their goals came as a direct result of our unforced execution mistakes... Ebert going laterally from the wing and hitting a wide open Saints player on the tit - goal... Broadbent kicking the ball about 8 inches off the ground, into an opponent, goes the other way - goal... I want to say the other one was Pittard missing a target (but I can't remember it exactly, and at any rate, would have to be about the only missed target by Jasper all day, I can't think of many)... Ken basically said that in his presser, but so many of our mistakes were punished in the first half, I don't think we'll be that bad on execution going forward, came across as a very Round 1 skill display.

I've been really big on keeping the faith with Lobbe all pre-season, and I did think he showed a bit more than we've seen in his pre-season performances. He created a contest, got his hand to the ball a few times, and ran out the game well, certainly showed improvement on pre-season form... BUT he is a worry to me, a major worry... If a relative no-name ruckman such as Hickey can put up that kind of a performance on him then I shudder to think about what guys like Natanui, Goldstein, Gawn, and (especially next week) Jacobs will do to him. Our midfielders really need to be able to set up more defensively at centre square stoppages so that we don't get burned by the more accomplished ruckmen in the competiton. I'm keeping the faith with him, he is capable and I am sure he will come good, but I'll be worried about his performance all season... Not sure if that was contradictory or not, but there it is...

More positively, I thought Robbie Gray and Sam Gray were brilliant through the middle and up forward. Robbie is silk, absolutely an elite, and always stands up when we need him to. Sam Gray has been a great find from right under our noses, it is amazing what happens when you play a midfielder as a midfielder. Brad Ebert had a great game as well I thought, I didn't even realise he had kicked 3 goals until I got home and watched the replay.

I thought the backline held up well, a lot of the over the top cheap goals we conceded were on the break due to our mistakes upfield in positions which are tough to defend against even if we had the best defenders in the land, short of not making the original mistake which resulted in a turnover there isn't heaps they could do. I thought Pittard was brilliant, showing what those who kept the faith with him saw all along. I loved Hombsch's game as well, early in the game especially he was wonderful in his intercept marking and his spoils.

Charlie Dixon was good on debut, 3.3 and he played an average game, missed a few easy shots and had a presence up forward I don't reckon we've had since Tredrea. Some of the contests actually reminded me a lot of Tredrea, in that, he was held by Fisher all day and only got 1 in every 3 free kicks he should have gotten... Matthew Scarlett would've watched that scragging defending with a tear in his eye... Dixon provides that bail out kick for us, gives us a genuine target, and, even though some think we were too Charlie conscious when going forward, provided enough of a contest to bring others into the game... Loved his passion as well, expecting big things this season!

Disappointing about Matty White, especially after his interrupted season in 2015. Toumpas to come in for mine, I didn't make it out to Norwood on Thursday night to watch his game in person, but he is a more like for like replacement than anyone else I reckon.

Next week will be a tough game, which kind of goes without saying given it is a Showdown... Adelaide's first home match of the season, they'll be up for it, we need to make sure we are as well. I think we are a better side, and I reckon that they are too short down back to cover Dixon, Schulz and Westhoff (they struggled to contain Petrie, Brown and Waite, I don't see next week being too different, Talia aside they're not set for tall defenders), but Jacobs is a concern, especially with the exposed form of he and Lobbe so far this season. We've a better midfield, we've got a solid defence, and our forward line should be too potent for them, we just need to make sure we turn up and bring the required effort, because if we don't we'll get made short work of... Work rate and intensity must be there...

Anyway, 1-0 after Round 1 is all we could have hoped for. Good result, roll on Showdown!

That was classic Nicholls, but we did get awarded the free there, just not the 50.

On the replay at the qtr break, Wingard asked Nicholls about it and Nicholls said he he gave the Saints player the benefit of the doubt that he hadn't heard the whistle. It's not a great call, and it should have been 50, but it was one weak decision in a pretty good game overall.

The turnover was for Schulzy blocking a guy and putting him on his arse upfield.

If we get that sort of umpiring all year, it's going to be a good year for footy.

Finished watching the replay, middle of the last quarter there was that non-call in the forward pocket in front of the old scoreboard:

Saints player tackled by Westhoff (I think), textbook, arm pinned, Saints player drops the ball, was a throw every day of the week... Nicholls calls play-on... At the ball up Dixon tells/yells that the player dropped the ball, to which Nicholls replied something like "No, he didn't drop it, he tried to handball and the ball dropped out"...

Heard that line and was picturing you shaking your head muttering 'Classic Nicholls'

On the whole Nicholls wasn't his usual crap biased self... But, you know, Round 1 cobwebs, he'll get into the swing of reaming us every week before too long...

Wingard - Chad has kicked more goals, had more disposals and had more immediate impact than he did today. But, I don't think Chad has ever played such an all round match as he did today. He got his 20 touches, he kicked his 3 brilliant goals, but it was his 5 other score involvements and his massive 9 tackles that really impressed me today. He was maybe a bit slow in the first quarter, but after that he was everywhere and made sure he got involved as much as possible.

Wingard appears ready to take his game to another level this year. He was genuinely frightening in that hybrid forward/midfielder role. Nobody got near him all day. He just has no weaknesses. Pace, strength, skill, poise, smarts, goal sense, marking, tackling, you name it. He's just the perfect footballer.

Ken is delusional that has game plan doesn't need to change. The rules have changed ken..and they changed just to beat your defensive push game plan and the have succeeded. Leave the forwards forward and the backs back..don't be so stubborn.
Game plan isn't changing soon. We've been practising it for 5 months, it got us a win, and Ken is stubborn.

Round 1 football... Doesn't have to be convincing, just need to get the points and work on the deficiencies

Ah yeh, then what's the point of playing preseason games? Hinkley reckons we only need 2 preseason games...our performance in the first 3 quarters suggests we need more then the current 3 preseason games.

A wins a win, but we weren't behind for almost 3 quarters because St Kilda lifted their game to match us at our best we were behind because of how poorly we were playing. That's worrying, round one or not.
After last seasons disappointment Id have thought the players would have come out firing with everything they've got and blown St Kilda or any opposition away early and maintained a healthy lead throughout the game.
But it was more like one of those frustrating games last year against poor opposition that weren't in contention where you felt like punching holes in doors.

Finished watching the replay, middle of the last quarter there was that non-call in the forward pocket in front of the old scoreboard:

Saints player tackled by Westhoff (I think), textbook, arm pinned, Saints player drops the ball, was a throw every day of the week... Nicholls calls play-on... At the ball up Dixon tells/yells that the player dropped the ball, to which Nicholls replied something like "No, he didn't drop it, he tried to handball and the ball dropped out"...

Heard that line and was picturing you shaking your head muttering 'Classic Nicholls'

On the whole Nicholls wasn't his usual crap biased self... But, you know, Round 1 cobwebs, he'll get into the swing of reaming us every week before too long...

My favourite was one of our guys, can't remember who Polec I think maybe, getting tackled high wasn't hurt but opponents arm was clearly over the shoulder/around the neck, no free, we then tackle Saints player and even the commentators called it as holding the ball...play on, Saints kick a goal.
It's round 1 but lucky I had other matters to attend to today and didn't go to the game otherwise I'd have been tempted to jump the fence and ping a shoe or two at the morons before getting tackled by a fat security guard.

Round 1 football... Doesn't have to be convincing, just need to get the points and work on the deficiencies. Every team would have things to work on, its always better when you get the 4 points despite playing poorly.

I thought we played poorly for large parts, credit to St. Kilda they pushed us for three and a half quarters and our fitness carried us home, but we were poor. In the first quarter alone I reckon 3 of their goals came as a direct result of our unforced execution mistakes... Ebert going laterally from the wing and hitting a wide open Saints player on the tit - goal... Broadbent kicking the ball about 8 inches off the ground, into an opponent, goes the other way - goal... I want to say the other one was Pittard missing a target (but I can't remember it exactly, and at any rate, would have to be about the only missed target by Jasper all day, I can't think of many)... Ken basically said that in his presser, but so many of our mistakes were punished in the first half, I don't think we'll be that bad on execution going forward, came across as a very Round 1 skill display.

I've been really big on keeping the faith with Lobbe all pre-season, and I did think he showed a bit more than we've seen in his pre-season performances. He created a contest, got his hand to the ball a few times, and ran out the game well, certainly showed improvement on pre-season form... BUT he is a worry to me, a major worry... If a relative no-name ruckman such as Hickey can put up that kind of a performance on him then I shudder to think about what guys like Natanui, Goldstein, Gawn, and (especially next week) Jacobs will do to him. Our midfielders really need to be able to set up more defensively at centre square stoppages so that we don't get burned by the more accomplished ruckmen in the competiton. I'm keeping the faith with him, he is capable and I am sure he will come good, but I'll be worried about his performance all season... Not sure if that was contradictory or not, but there it is...

More positively, I thought Robbie Gray and Sam Gray were brilliant through the middle and up forward. Robbie is silk, absolutely an elite, and always stands up when we need him to. Sam Gray has been a great find from right under our noses, it is amazing what happens when you play a midfielder as a midfielder. Brad Ebert had a great game as well I thought, I didn't even realise he had kicked 3 goals until I got home and watched the replay.

I thought the backline held up well, a lot of the over the top cheap goals we conceded were on the break due to our mistakes upfield in positions which are tough to defend against even if we had the best defenders in the land, short of not making the original mistake which resulted in a turnover there isn't heaps they could do. I thought Pittard was brilliant, showing what those who kept the faith with him saw all along. I loved Hombsch's game as well, early in the game especially he was wonderful in his intercept marking and his spoils.

Charlie Dixon was good on debut, 3.3 and he played an average game, missed a few easy shots and had a presence up forward I don't reckon we've had since Tredrea. Some of the contests actually reminded me a lot of Tredrea, in that, he was held by Fisher all day and only got 1 in every 3 free kicks he should have gotten... Matthew Scarlett would've watched that scragging defending with a tear in his eye... Dixon provides that bail out kick for us, gives us a genuine target, and, even though some think we were too Charlie conscious when going forward, provided enough of a contest to bring others into the game... Loved his passion as well, expecting big things this season!

Disappointing about Matty White, especially after his interrupted season in 2015. Toumpas to come in for mine, I didn't make it out to Norwood on Thursday night to watch his game in person, but he is a more like for like replacement than anyone else I reckon.

Next week will be a tough game, which kind of goes without saying given it is a Showdown... Adelaide's first home match of the season, they'll be up for it, we need to make sure we are as well. I think we are a better side, and I reckon that they are too short down back to cover Dixon, Schulz and Westhoff (they struggled to contain Petrie, Brown and Waite, I don't see next week being too different, Talia aside they're not set for tall defenders), but Jacobs is a concern, especially with the exposed form of he and Lobbe so far this season. We've a better midfield, we've got a solid defence, and our forward line should be too potent for them, we just need to make sure we turn up and bring the required effort, because if we don't we'll get made short work of... Work rate and intensity must be there...

Anyway, 1-0 after Round 1 is all we could have hoped for. Good result, roll on Showdown!
Agree with you 99% , he led the unforced errors dept early , does it game after game , very costly at times.

Game plan isn't changing soon. We've been practising it for 5 months, it got us a win, and Ken is stubborn.

You need to listen to Ken's post match press conference. A game plan is fine if the players implement it but the crap that was handed up to 42,000 fans in the first half was not what the players had been practicing. If we dish up that garbage against a decent side we will get slaughtered, Ken knows that and I do not think he is happy about the failure to stick to what was practicsed. OK we won with one and bit quarters of reasonable footy but overall that was not an acceptable performance. Players running around chasing kicks instead of doing the disciplined thing and making position up field was pretty hard to watch.

Geez if the first half is our game plan we have no plan.

call it the biggest let down since finding out that Toobs had been discontinued

:eek:

Yeah I was packing it at the start but our fitness (and their lack of fitness, lets be honest)...

That was the biggest score we kicked since the 2014 elimination final.

Short review:

We were rusty early, but it was alright in the end. We'll be okay.

Longer version:

Credit to St Kilda, they've come a long way in a couple of years. They gave it a real crack, and I'm sure they're going to be a bit up and down this year, but they'll jag a few surprise upsets on yesterday's showing. For the first half, their field kicking seemed sensational. We were clearly trying to use the press to force turnovers, but then energy to run and good kicking skills meant that they created opportunities out the back.

I'm not too concerned about the number of Joe the Goose goals we gave away. I'm expecting that we weren't executing our gameplan, and the gaps in our structure gifted St Kilda opportunities. The clearance count concerned me. With Lobbe rucking for the foreseeable future, our midfield need to work harder to win clearances than if Ryder was in there. Boak being off his best didn't help either, and here's hoping there's nothing seriously wrong there.

Agreeing with others, I thought some of our defenders played outstanding. Hombsch and Pittard were outstanding. Carlile was consistent and reliable, as was Trengove. Most of the goals felt like they were structural issues, or midfielders not pushing hard enough to support our defence. Our defence started to click halfway through the third quarter, and we started to apply the screws to their run. It was clearly what we had been trying to do for two and a bit quarters.

Offensively, we looked potent. We scored at a consistent pace, and I felt like we looked a threat most of the time we went forward. Dixon got beaten early, but came into the game later. Looking forward to seeing the chemistry develop between him and our small forwards as they gain more experience playing together. Gray was outstanding (both of them). There were plenty of other strong individual performances, but we have to get more disciplined at our structures. There's a few players not playing at their potential yet, and it'll be a very important test next week to see where we are at. No point navel gazing too much - the game reminded me of when we played Carlton in Round 1 a couple of years ago. Nothing clicked for the first 2.5 quarters, but then we worked our s**t out and came away with the 4 points.

Thank god AFL.com.au didnt disable Smart replay
Its shitty quality videos but it's my source of downloading a copy of the games [for free]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back