VAFA General Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go (yet) again. VAFA umpires are paid more than in most other leagues, there's no need to offer more coin (sorry Pazza!). I've umpired with nuffies who did it purely for the cash and had no interest in the game. You do not want them appointed to your matches! There just simply are not enough people willing to put their hand up and do the job, but no shortage of moaners happy to blame the administration as illustrated above.

So, 10571z, when are you going to have a go? Kill two birds with one stone - reduce the shortage of umpires and earn some extra tax-free!

I see that Xavs playing St Kevins tomorrow, I bet that St Kevins will be all over Xavs team sheet to tally up points to ensure that Xavs are playing fair.

Any one on this thread have contact with the big house at EP that can comment on outcome of De la game.

Surely Xavier needs to be penalised 4 points!

People complain about the best umpires in the country (The AFL’s).

True. And then they complain that VAFA umpires aren't up to that standard, and when VFL/AFL guys run a VAFA game, they complain about all the "tiggy touchwood" free kicks and demand the whistles be put away.

An arm chair opinion has low credibility

:thumbsupemoji:

The biggest concern is the 2 hour course required to become a umpire in the reserves. Many simply can’t control games. But they are free for the VAFA so that’s the main bonus.

True again. But what can you do? Raise the bar higher and even fewer people will want the gig. At least once a new ressies umpire has had a taste, there is every incentive (and I like to think encouragement) to take it further. That's how I got my ticket. Regularly umpiring the kids on Sunday, got asked to cover the ressies a couple of times and I approached the seniors umps to ask about training, not because I was interested in umpiring on Saturday, but because I wanted to learn enough about the game that my kids wouldn't lose games because of my stuffups. How little did I know? I'd been going to Elsternwick on Thursdays for five weeks before I realised it had absolutely nothing to do with the WRFL... and I loved it. First appointed game was an U19s Ormond-SBMT thriller decided by a point. Figured if all VAFA games were going to be like that then I'd stick around.

The WRFL div3 umps I now see weekly are in the main umpiring at that level for a reason, it is a real relief when a senior/coach/mentor gets rotated down. Yes the WRFL supplies umps for both ressies and seniors. More often than not they are doubling up. This is where your two hour course comes in - what is preferable, having your own bloke running around in the seconds and a fresh ump in the ones, or having the main game umpired by someone of average skill who is exhausted by half time and does not have the fitness to keep up with the play and maintain concentration and decision making ability for the second half? Note I'm not blaming the umps, but the policy that puts them in that position. Interested in your views on this.

Last edited:
Been asked to put out a few general comments by some of the members of our hopefully successful women's team and supporters this Sunday.

All seniors men's finals are played at 2.00 on Saturdays and Sundays.

Why are Div 1 & 2 women playing at the ridiculous starting time of 9.00am Div 4 at 10.30 - for those that travel fair distances to watch much less the players it is a real smack in the face. LET'S SHOWCASE THE EVENT at a time when we normally don't play. In fact why are the men's finals offered at a variety of grounds and not the women?

Please don't reply that there are no available grounds because most grounds like Parade and other venues if the VAFA bothered to look are available this weekend. We went to watch the potential opposition last Sunday and parking was impossible at Mentone! What do they think it is going to be like for the grand finals?

The real reason is that it suits the VAFA employees - lets throw them all together on one day and it is done. Only have to pay one set of gatekeepers and we can sit on our arse and pat each other on the back. Might take a day off in lieu as well. Real poor effort in acknowledging the achievements that the competition has made.

Imagine asking the divisional senior men to play their grand finals on Mentone 2/3 [midget ovals] at 9.am and 11.30? Would it happen? Of course not.

Lip service BUT the VAFA can say we run the largest women's comp in the world - correct but hardly the happiest!

Been asked to put out a few general comments by some of the members of our hopefully successful women's team and supporters this Sunday.

Why are Div 1 & 2 women playing at the ridiculous starting time of 9.00am Div 4 at 10.30 - for those that travel fair distances to watch much less the players it is a real smack in the face. LET'S SHOWCASE THE EVENT at a time when we normally don't play. In fact why are the men's finals offered at a variety of grounds and not the women?

Please don't reply that there are no available grounds because most grounds like Parade and other venues if the VAFA bothered to look are available this weekend. We went to watch the potential opposition last Sunday and parking was impossible at Mentone! What do they think it is going to be like for the grand finals?

The real reason is that it suits the VAFA employees - lets throw them all together on one day and it is done. Only have to pay one set of gatekeepers and we can sit on our arse and pat each other on the back. Might take a day off in lieu as well. Real poor effort in acknowledging the achievements that the competition has made.

Imagine asking the divisional senior men to play their grand finals on Mentone 2/3 [midget ovals] at 9.am and 11.30? Would it happen? Of course not.

Lip service BUT the VAFA can say we run the largest women's comp in the world - correct but hardly the happiest!
You can just use parade for example if they don’t want it.

Would I open up my club (when I was involved) to make barely anything from the canteen? Probably not...

It’s a lot of effort to open a ground and run the day.

As for midget ovals no offence but they would suit women’s football as probably allows for better scoring.

I’d suggest directing this question to the actual VAFA not bigfooty

Ive been involved with Women's football for the last couple of years. The times that the girls play at is all over the shop, just not finals, but that is the way it is.

The comp as a general rule is run very well.

Senior men play their games at 2.00pm 99.99% of the time. So there finals are set accordingly.

My team played
40% at 9.20am
50% at 12.00pm
10% at 2.00pm

This makes it hard for players to work on Saturday and arrange shifts given the time variables. Last year we had game moved from 9.20am to 12.00pm with 2 days notice, I lost 4 players.

That is more the issue. Playing times need to be set with no chance of changing.

Finals will be played at whatever time, the girls will be there having a red hot crack.

Max "wish we were playing finals" Leader

Ive been involved with Women's football for the last couple of years. The times that the girls play at is all over the shop, just not finals, but that is the way it is.

The comp as a general rule is run very well.

Senior men play their games at 2.00pm 99.99% of the time. So there finals are set accordingly.

My team played
40% at 9.20am
50% at 12.00pm
10% at 2.00pm

This makes it hard for players to work on Saturday and arrange shifts given the time variables. Last year we had game moved from 9.20am to 12.00pm with 2 days notice, I lost 4 players.

That is more the issue. Playing times need to be set with no chance of changing.

Finals will be played at whatever time, the girls will be there having a red hot crack.

Max "wish we were playing finals" Leader

Appreciate the comments Max. Indeed it is hard for us to have any sort of schedule in terms of Saturday work but now 7 of the 10 grand finals are on a Sunday including ours. Trying to emphasize that the women's are treated "at finals time" poorly. All clubs were asked whether they wanted a Sunday VAFA women's comp and it was soundly defeated. So why now? When we went to watch to see who we would play there were massive numbers [car park can't handle it - we had to stay in car for 20 mins waiting for a spot - will be worse this week].

Appreciate the comments Max. Indeed it is hard for us to have any sort of schedule in terms of Saturday work but now 7 of the 10 grand finals are on a Sunday including ours. Trying to emphasize that the women's are treated "at finals time" poorly. All clubs were asked whether they wanted a Sunday VAFA women's comp and it was soundly defeated. So why now? When we went to watch to see who we would play there were massive numbers [car park can't handle it - we had to stay in car for 20 mins waiting for a spot - will be worse this week].
Most Prem A finals are played on Sunday. Just the way it is. My big issue is that some orf these grounds are way too big for Women's football.

Good luck to your team on Sunday. Lucky bastard. Wish my team was still playing.

You can just use parade for example if they don’t want it.

Would I open up my club (when I was involved) to make barely anything from the canteen? Probably not...

It’s a lot of effort to open a ground and run the day.
I was going to say the same thing. We offer the Garvey each year for finals and whilst we make a bit of pocket money from the canteen, it's more work that you'd think. I wouldn't have a clue how much food to order for a women's final. Could be heaps, could be very little.

My suggestion would be to go up to the new RMIT facility in Bundoora. The new women's team was started there with much fanfare from the VAFA at the start of the season, and the ground is in superb condition. It doesn't have a fence, so you couldn't charge, but is the standard of footy more important than revenue ? I'd like to think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to Mentone fields yesterday and what a joke 12 bucks to get in and 5 for the car , there is nowhere else to park in the area . Wonder where that money goes .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Went to Mentone fields yesterday and what a joke 12 bucks to get in and 5 for the car , there is nowhere else to park in the area . Wonder where that money goes .

Hi Gunny

Did predict parking would be impossible for Grand Finals. A $fiver to the security always works - round the back of the midget oval 3 pavilion as a hockeyroo!

What was the crowd numbers like? It does cost $ to put on a final, so its not unprecedented to charge an entry fee however whilst women's footy is in such a developmental stage they should be doing everything possible to encourage participation both from a player and spectator point of view, and having prohibitive entry fees seems an odd way to do this.

What was the crowd numbers like? It does cost $ to put on a final, so its not unprecedented to charge an entry fee however whilst women's footy is in such a developmental stage they should be doing everything possible to encourage participation both from a player and spectator point of view, and having prohibitive entry fees seems an odd way to do this.

Women's football in the VAFA is bigger than some male footy comps in and around Melbourne. It needs to be treated no differently than any other comp when it comes to finals and their costs.

Based on the cost of umpires (6 per game) and equipment (2 x footballs), not including ground rental, each game would cost approx $1,000. Given there was 7 games at Mentone Playing Fields that's a minimum cost of $7,000 the VAFA would like to recoup.

After looking at the results. The biggest detrimental effect on Women's football at this stage is rain. The scores in the morning games were well above average, but as the day went on, scores "dried up" :).

Max "Bring on pre-season" Leader

Are Thirds finals usually played at the higher finishing team's home ground or at a neutral venue?

Absurd to think that the VAFA have sent nothing formal re: scheduling, with the first final only five days away.
Your post is out of my wheelhouse.However, I am interested in seeing the return of Pendlebet as monopolies aren't a good thing as Hippbet is demonstrating.;)

A bit late, but will make a few comments on the umpiring.

They may be well paid, but there is a lot more travel involved in VAFA and no one umpiring in other leagues wants to move over and be forced to train at Elsternwick and travel from Williamstown to Ringwood or down to Mt Martha or out to Westbourne. You won’t attract umpires from other leagues paying a couple of dollars more. They could always follow country leagues and bring in travel payments for umpires.

For those mentioning smaller leagues covering all senior games with full compliments, that’s marvellous, maybe the VAFA can drop a few divisions and do that? A couple of years back we had 100 goal umpires. Still not enough, is there any league with 100 goal umpires anywhere? VAFA also provide goal and boundary to U 19 games, do these other leagues? I know EFL barely cover their 4 senior divisions each week.

As for field umpires, it’s only 4 reserves divisions with no field umpires. They cover 7 senior, 3 reserves, 10 women’s, 5 u/19s and 6 thirds divisions with field umpires. Could any umpiring group cover that many games?

In previous administrations they stopped major recruiting of umpires because it was hurting the budget.

As for quality, it is definitely there, some very good umpires running around lower than they should, look at other competitions and the quality in their top division is appalling. Yes it can drop away in the divisions, but what do you expect from umpires that are 70-100 on the List? How good is a footy clubs 70th players?

A bit late, but will make a few comments on the umpiring.

They may be well paid, but there is a lot more travel involved in VAFA and no one umpiring in other leagues wants to move over and be forced to train at Elsternwick and travel from Williamstown to Ringwood or down to Mt Martha or out to Westbourne. You won’t attract umpires from other leagues paying a couple of dollars more. They could always follow country leagues and bring in travel payments for umpires.

For those mentioning smaller leagues covering all senior games with full compliments, that’s marvellous, maybe the VAFA can drop a few divisions and do that? A couple of years back we had 100 goal umpires. Still not enough, is there any league with 100 goal umpires anywhere? VAFA also provide goal and boundary to U 19 games, do these other leagues? I know EFL barely cover their 4 senior divisions each week.

As for field umpires, it’s only 4 reserves divisions with no field umpires. They cover 7 senior, 3 reserves, 10 women’s, 5 u/19s and 6 thirds divisions with field umpires. Could any umpiring group cover that many games?

In previous administrations they stopped major recruiting of umpires because it was hurting the budget.

As for quality, it is definitely there, some very good umpires running around lower than they should, look at other competitions and the quality in their top division is appalling. Yes it can drop away in the divisions, but what do you expect from umpires that are 70-100 on the List? How good is a footy clubs 70th players?
The size of the league is no excuse for the severe lack of umpires. A league with 10 teams or 100 should have an administration and resources to suit.

You can’t just run a business and say you are too large to adhere to basic requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back