VAFA General Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random question & random stat for Jascave.

Question- when will VAFA resume uploading old AF copies onto website?Valuable resource & saves trips to EP.

Stat - 6 wins is a good marker for safety, but how about Marcellin in 1984. Relegated on 8 wins & 2nd spot was on 10 wins.

Are Thirds finals usually played at the higher finishing team's home ground or at a neutral venue?

Absurd to think that the VAFA have sent nothing formal re: scheduling, with the first final only five days away.
Higher for this week in Thirds Div 1-4. Neutral for prelim and GF.

I see that Xavs playing St Kevins tomorrow, I bet that St Kevins will be all over Xavs team sheet to tally up points to ensure that Xavs are playing fair.

Any one on this thread have contact with the big house at EP that can comment on outcome of De la game.

Surely Xavier needs to be penalised 4 points!

Did a resolution to this issue ever come to light? Did HQ ever get around to making a decision. If they haven't they need to considering the impacts at both ends of the ladder

In theory, it's only the top flight umpires who are expected to travel anywhere. Lower echelons are appointed to grounds closer to home if possible.

But you aren't attracting decent umpires to join the league, therefore increasing the talent pool. Plus there is still the issue of travelling to Elsternwick for training so you are basically saying we can increase umpire numbers by appealing to those who don't want to train, don't want to improve and just show up, umpire poorly and go home.

But you aren't attracting decent umpires to join the league, therefore increasing the talent pool. Plus there is still the issue of travelling to Elsternwick for training so you are basically saying we can increase umpire numbers by appealing to those who don't want to train, don't want to improve and just show up, umpire poorly and go home.
There should be multiple hubs.

Latrobe, Elsternwick and maybe somewhere in the east.

Having a central hub for a league that covers the entire of Melbourne is laughable.

There are multiple hubs. It's just difficult to have high-level coaches to cover Elsternwick, Bulleen and out West concurrently.

Quality comes with numbers, and as long as the rhetoric is "umps don't know the rules, the AFL should stop meddling" instead of "I'll give it a crack", as well as more and more jobs requiring commitment over extra-curriculars, the numbers won't come.

Appreciate the comments Max. Indeed it is hard for us to have any sort of schedule in terms of Saturday work but now 7 of the 10 grand finals are on a Sunday including ours. Trying to emphasize that the women's are treated "at finals time" poorly. All clubs were asked whether they wanted a Sunday VAFA women's comp and it was soundly defeated. So why now? When we went to watch to see who we would play there were massive numbers [car park can't handle it - we had to stay in car for 20 mins waiting for a spot - will be worse this week].

Our women's team has a number of players that work shifts (eg nurses). They can change their shifts fairly easily if they know a week or 2 in advance. Was very disappointing to find out that the VAFA had made the decision to have finals on a Sunday about a month before the first week of finals, but hadn't thought to advise clubs.

What was the crowd numbers like? It does cost $ to put on a final, so its not unprecedented to charge an entry fee however whilst women's footy is in such a developmental stage they should be doing everything possible to encourage participation both from a player and spectator point of view, and having prohibitive entry fees seems an odd way to do this.

I personally don't mind paying if I get delivered a good product. What I got was lack of parking, mud and no stands. It's a pity when many players have family coming to see them for the first time and they experience the worst spectator conditions of the year. Also was especially difficult for elderly supporters

There are multiple hubs. It's just difficult to have high-level coaches to cover Elsternwick, Bulleen and out West concurrently.

Quality comes with numbers, and as long as the rhetoric is "umps don't know the rules, the AFL should stop meddling" instead of "I'll give it a crack", as well as more and more jobs requiring commitment over extra-curriculars, the numbers won't come.
Well anything would be better than clubs providing their own.

High level or not I can’t see how “it’s diffucult” become an excuse.

I personally don't mind paying if I get delivered a good product. What I got was lack of parking, mud and no stands. It's a pity when many players have family coming to see them for the first time and they experience the worst spectator conditions of the year. Also was especially difficult for elderly supporters

How much did the ammos charge for womens finals? should be gold coin donation at best, considering aflw is free!

Our women's team has a number of players that work shifts (eg nurses). They can change their shifts fairly easily if they know a week or 2 in advance. Was very disappointing to find out that the VAFA had made the decision to have finals on a Sunday about a month before the first week of finals, but hadn't thought to advise clubs.
I believe 1st round of finals were on a Saturday and the rest of the finals were on a Sunday last year. The same as it was this year. Same as it will be next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the VAFA ever let supporters know how much it is to enter grounds for finals? I feel like this is something that is done very poorly by the association.
Last year I went to watch the D4 final with my son and nephew, I was told I had to pay for my 14 year old nephew and I also paid a "Car fee" to park my car. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me and have been on the website to see a price list of sorts but nothing for this year.
It's bad enough friends and family get charged money to see their own players play in a final but to then charge them for a "per car" fee seems unreasonable and unfair. Particularly with a lack of public transport to get to grounds.

Does the VAFA ever let supporters know how much it is to enter grounds for finals? I feel like this is something that is done very poorly by the association.
Last year I went to watch the D4 final with my son and nephew, I was told I had to pay for my 14 year old nephew and I also paid a "Car fee" to park my car. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me and have been on the website to see a price list of sorts but nothing for this year.
It's bad enough friends and family get charged money to see their own players play in a final but to then charge them for a "per car" fee seems unreasonable and unfair. Particularly with a lack of public transport to get to grounds.
I think it's $10 this week.

Went to girls final at Mentone playing fields. No public transport so I paid for myself and my car to watch 2 hrs footy. No outside parking. Game was on oval 3 with no seating or shelter. What about pensioners? VAFA just wonder why you are not concerned.

I just received an email saying it's $10 this week, $5 for concessions, save $2 if you buy online.

I just received an email saying it's $10 this week, $5 for concessions, save $2 if you buy online.
maybe, well hopefully someone at the ivory tower (VAFA) actually reads big footy to ascertain general consensus on fan feedback as I read different league forum today and was very well written and informative. And also detail on this forum about ridiculous scheduling of finals for u23 and womens games!

maybe, well hopefully someone at the ivory tower (VAFA) actually reads big footy to ascertain general consensus on fan feedback as I read different league forum today and was very well written and informative. And also detail on this forum about ridiculous scheduling of finals for u23 and womens games!
Honestly I hope they realise how ridiculous it is having the u/23's comp in the first place, and I hope they start capping private school teams from having 3 under 19's sides.

Honestly I hope they realise how ridiculous it is having the u/23's comp in the first place, and I hope they start capping private school teams from having 3 under 19's sides.

the u23 sides would most likley consist of over agers also! therefore, like u18s, whats the point.

Why couldnt u23s be in clubbies sections and have designated areas so no need to travel.

Also, does clubbies have relegation/promotion or does same teams like Willi dominate year on year in lower sections?

the u23 sides would most likley consist of over agers also! therefore, like u18s, whats the point.

Why couldnt u23s be in clubbies sections and have designated areas so no need to travel.

Also, does clubbies have relegation/promotion or does same teams like Willi dominate year on year in lower sections?
There are no clubbies. It's 3's.

There are no clubbies. It's 3's.

In my opinion, the biggest issue facing the VAFA at the moment is what to do with the Divisions. Teams leaving for thirds (clubbies) comp have left unwanted byes in the fixture this season. The byes can be addressed for 2020 season by promotions/relegations however it may happen again in future. Lack of numbers at Division clubs is concerning. Stopping teams from fielding under 23s or three under 19 teams does not automatically translate to better /more even numbers in the Divisions. Some of the teams have struggled to field reserves sides (St John's, Swinburne) and it may be because of lack of success at reserves level. Some re-grading of reserves teams or modified rules at reserve grade may prevent some lob sided fixtures and ultimately stop teams going into thirds/clubbies recess which is akin to a clubs death.

In my opinion, the biggest issue facing the VAFA at the moment is what to do with the Divisions. Teams leaving for thirds (clubbies) comp have left unwanted byes in the fixture this season. The byes can be addressed for 2020 season by promotions/relegations however it may happen again in future. Lack of numbers at Division clubs is concerning. Stopping teams from fielding under 23s or three under 19 teams does not automatically translate to better /more even numbers in the Divisions. Some of the teams have struggled to field reserves sides (St John's, Swinburne) and it may be because of lack of success at reserves level. Some re-grading of reserves teams or modified rules at reserve grade may prevent some lob sided fixtures and ultimately stop teams going into thirds/clubbies recess which is akin to a clubs death.
I still can’t fathom what kind of person would want to play in the under 23s competition. Time for kids to grow up.

Certainly whispers of more VAFA clubs looking towards the NFNL. Be interesting if any are real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back