2013 Forecast:

FROM CARLTON FC

Carlton Football Club said:
Jumper No: 4
Height: 187.4
Weight: 77.6
DOB: 15/03/1989
Recruited From: Glenelg

A medium sized midfielder who is poised, well balanced and a skilled playmaker who had an outstanding year at Glenelg and finished in the top 3 in the Glenelg Best & Fairest. Was outstanding with the SA Under 18 team, winning All-Australian honours. Recruited from Glenelg in South Australia, originally from Plympton Football Club.
Draft history: 2006 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (Carlton) No. 1 overall.

Gibbs's thought on Captaincy said:
Nursing a dislocated thumb from match practice at training as well as the after-effects of celebrating Carlton's NAB Cup win over Essendon with a handful of his closest mates from Adelaide, Gibbs said one day captaining the club would be one of the greatest honours he could imagine. "For sure," Gibbs said at the Blues' family day last Sunday when asked if he would like to ascend to the top job.
"It would be a pretty big honour to captain an AFL side, especially one like Carlton who has such proud history. We'll see how we go, but who knows.
How he got into the leadership group said:
"But Denis said they had put it to every player and 94 per cent of them voted for him — and they've only known the kid for three months. They've got a new president and new board and they're going to throw a couple of kids in the deep end and reckon they're the future of the club.

The kid looks in for an exciting year. Hopefully he turns it on tonight and for the rest of his career in the Navy blue.
normal_74.jpg

Sorry Sublime.
To my confusion this is actually Sublime's buddy player. He can delete/take over my posts as soon as he gets on. sorry guys.

Thanks for the start Johnny. Feel free to help me with my job as much as you like ;)

I'll continue with this as soon as i'm not blind drunk and take 10 minutes to write this.
celebrating the win this week aye.
Well lets hope next week Gibbsy racks em up so you have something to write.

My 6yr old son was watching the footy with me & he said where's that guy with the fuzzy hair, he had me stumped but I figured out it was Gibbs.

Hopefully some of the guys will point him to a decent hairdresser, I don't think they have any in adelaide

From the Carlton Website

Bryce_Gibbs_large%20image.jpg

Bryce Gibbs

Jumper No: 4
Height: 187.4
Weight: 77.6
DOB: 15/03/1989
Recruited From: Glenelg

A medium sized midfielder who is poised, well balanced and a skilled playmaker who had an outstanding year at Glenelg and finished in the top 3 in the Glenelg Best & Fairest. Was outstanding with the SA Under 18 team, winning All-Australian honours. Recruited from Glenelg in South Australia, originally from Plympton Football Club.

Draft history: 2006 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (Carlton) No. 1 overall.

From Wikipedia

Pre-AFL

Gibbs has been an exceptional youth talent, leading to much speculation about his ultimate AFL drafting. In 2004 he won Glenelg's Under 17s Best & Fairest award, despite spending part of the season playing SANFL reserves grade. That year he also captained the South Australian under 16's team at the national championships.
In Round 7 of the 2005 season, at age 16, he debuted in Glenelg's League team and has been a regular ever since. Playing against grown men in the SANFL, Gibbs has excelled, coming third in the Club's 2006 best and fairest, and dominating recent ex-AFL players such as Damian Cupido during the season.
He featured prominently in the 2006 under-18 national championships and won All-Australian selection. He has also co-captained the Australian youth side against an Irish youth side in an international tournament in Australia in 2006.
Gibbs attended Brighton Secondary Schoolhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Secondary_School, where he sat his SACE in 2006.

AFL career

Despite his father's long career with Glenelg, Gibbs was ineligible to be taken by the Adelaide Crowshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Crows under the father son rulehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father-son_rule, much to Adelaide's chagrin. Gibbs was subsequently selected with the first overall pick in the 2006 AFL Drafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_AFL_Draft (held on 25 November 2006) by the Carlton Football Club, a selection which was widely expected.
Gibbs will wear the number 4 guernsey, formerly worn by club champion and administrator, Stephen Kernahanhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kernahan, a close friend and former Glenelg teammate of Gibbs' father. Gibbs was named in Carlton's leadership group for the 2007 AFLhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL season without having played a single AFLhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL match, which is the first time in history this has happened. Bryce Gibbs dominated Carlton's pre-season intra club matches, making many fans believe he and teammate Marc Murphy will carry the club for the next few years.

"Bryce Gibbs Cup"

Spectulation that Gibbs would be the #1 draft pick began early in the 2006 season. When Essendon and Carlton met in Round 16, the sides were firmly entrenched at the bottom of the ladder, with Carlton having lost its last seven games and Essendon a club-record fourteen. Speculation that the result would decide the wooden spoon (and hence the first draft pick) led to the game jokingly being dubbed the "Bryce Gibbs Cup" by some in the media. The game finished in a draw, a rarity in Australian rules football.

Bryce So Far

There has been alot of speculation and hype behind Bryce, even before he had even played a game. So far in his first 2 competitive matches (be it the NAB Cup) he has shown poise, decision making and disposal in his game time so far.

Its good to see he hasn't just been thrown to the wolves into the midfield, he's being eased into the game. He hasn't set the world on fire quite yet, but that will come with time.

The thing that has impressed me most so far would have to be just how cool he is with the ball while under pressure in closed spaces. Really amazing for a kid of just 17 years of age.

Did a few things last night that made me think wow!.

He'll eventually end up being a Dal Santo like player in that they don't move that quick yet they still seem to be able create space for themselves so easily.

His kick into the foreward line though was a shocker of a shank :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kick into the foreward line though was a shocker of a shank :D

Ugh, tell me about it. I was right in the middle of a classic 'just watch this for class' spiel to one of my Kangaroos mates just as he was about to kick that one. Gee, i didn't cop it from him at all about it either :rolleyes: Never fails to happen when you give someone a wrap!

NAB Cup Final

Bryce wasn't all that prominent in this match. Had his standard couple of cameos but other than that wasn't sighted all that much but again, you could see small glimpses of what he will become. Seems as though he's slowly learning to play with the big boys, so hopefully by about round 6 he'll really start to mature at AFL level.

Exactly right Sublime.

I don't want any Carlton supporters to be unrealistic about Bryce. We simply cannot expect him to step in and stand up straight away like Murph did last year. He doesn't have the body for that.

I have no doubt that he will be an excellent player but we must give him time. Remember, Cooney didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first season. In fact, it took him a long time to get accustomed to AFL footy, and only got nominated for the NRS in round 22 of his debut year. Now, I think Bryce will pick it up a bit quicker than Cooney did, but that's not the point. Now, Cooney is a very good player.

Patience is needed. Bryce won't become great overnight, it will take time, and we should all be prepared to wait. Because it will happen that he becomes a very good player. Of that I have no doubt.

Murph didn't set the world on fire in last years pre-season either.
Great interview with BG's mum and Dad at half time - saying he is in awe of he guys he is with at the club.

Similar sentiments from heath Shaw on SEN today, saying b4 he went to the Pies Bucks was his fav player, then one day he was standing next to him, getting changed in the same room, kicking the footy to each other etc......very overwhelming for a young 17y.o.

Probably similar to BG meeting sticks, getting the number 4 and then sitting with Stevo, Red, Kouta, Murph.

Once he believes he belongs, look out.:thumbsu:

Murph didn't set the world on fire in last years pre-season either.
Great interview with BG's mum and Dad at half time - saying he is in awe of he guys he is with at the club.

Similar sentiments from heath Shaw on SEN today, saying b4 he went to the Pies Bucks was his fav player, then one day he was standing next to him, getting changed in the same room, kicking the footy to each other etc......very overwhelming for a young 17y.o.

Probably similar to BG meeting sticks, getting the number 4 and then sitting with Stevo, Red, Kouta, Murph.

Once he believes he belongs, look out.:thumbsu:

Uncle Sticks to Bryce... (he grew up with STicks and his family)

He's such a young kid, had his 18th bday last week, he’s got the whole 'deer in headlights' look about him. I heard his parents chat about him during the NAB Final saying he can’t believe the speed of the game and he's in awe of all the players at the club. For me all I need is those glimpses of greatness he shows, he needs time to mature and to grow as a player. Long term we will surely reap the benefits of Bryce Gibbs.

I agree with all of the above in that we need to give the kid some time to adapt to the level of AFL. He has admitted that the speed of the game has taken him by surprise - it won't take long for him to adapt :)

At times throughout the NAB Cup, Bryce looks very nervous, particularly when lining up for goal. Don't worry guys.... his first goal IS coming!!! :D

I agree with all of the above in that we need to give the kid some time to adapt to the level of AFL. He has admitted that the speed of the game has taken him by surprise - it won't take long for him to adapt :)

At times throughout the NAB Cup, Bryce looks very nervous, particularly when lining up for goal. Don't worry guys.... his first goal IS coming!!! :D

He's been building up for it BG :) I reckon perhaps... third Quarter Richmond, Rnd. 1.

Once he kicks his first goal, i think we'll see a more confident boy :)

Just ran some numbers on Gibbs in the GF Sat night. While he had a quiet game, its the little things he does which are very impressive - the so called 1%ers. Very mature team oriented player.

1stQ
  1. Kick - centre clearance, 50m kick hits Fishers hand overhead 10 m out sl angle - Fish drops the mark. Great kick though.
  2. Kick - free kick for high tackle after gathering loose ball on F50. Gets a little close to man on the mark, but drill a 60+m drop punt from 50 into the front row, sl pull to left. Amazing distance for 18y.o.
1% - spoils kick in to make contest. OOB
1% - hard run to assist Stevo on HFF, locks ball in for contest, Wiggo eventually arrives and kicks OOF when pushed while kicking.

2nd Q
  1. Handball - picks up loose ball on F50, tavkled and spun but holds onto ball to put it into space to the advantage of Ackland - I50 and goal to Scotty
Missed mark - poor disposal from Walker, should have hit him
Missed mark - easy mark at CHF. Should have held it.

3rd Q
  1. Handball - centre sq, receives from Stevo, passes to Bentick, kicks to Stevo - searing daisy cutter hit Red - goal
4th Q
1% - Shepheard his man off the ball to create contest, helps gang tackle JB when he takes possession - free kick Murph
1% - Puts his body on the line with JB running out on lead, slide in front of JB, taps ball on to O'hAilpin, stands up to shepheard JB as Carlos clears with kick
1% - Shepheards two BL players at CHB to allow Murph to run onto loose ball and kick off ground to F50.

He's not racking up possies, that will come. But all these thing are good signs, especially putting his slight frame in front of a rampaging Brown and winning twice - takes courage.
Great stuf BG:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back