Autopsy Rolled over to Freo after leading by 41 at qtr time, what's wrong @ the kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you can't see that the coach can affect a game's outcome, then you'd better not give Bevo any credit for 2016. You can't have it both ways.
Of course they can but they can’t stop the other team overrunning everytime they’re not out on the ground it’s not basketball where you can have a time out the players have to grow a pair and step up and stop it

How are people still blaming Bevo? Yeah a few selections I.e Vandermeer were bad but again our players are mentally weak and s**t themselves when the opposition get a run on it’s not coaching it’s personal we don’t have it

He’s the coach mate, he’s literally employed to prepare the team mentally to play football. That’s his one job.

Again who are you picking over him? And Naughton behind the ball stops Brayshaw kicking one from 50?
There is no one else to pick because the guy who is clearly better than him is playing full back for Carlton.

Because the coach favours a battler like Gardner over Young.

Get it?

Last edited:
He changed the coaching panel the year after we won the gf. I think that was a red flag. I mean, I was willing to trust the guy, but it didn't work.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought at the time it was ridiculous and maybe showed a degree of arrogance. Didn’t work then and there’s been plenty more brilliant ideas that haven’t worked since.

Roarke took at least three strong contested marks including that ripper at the end. That was a very inspiring mark and goal. Roarke has some ticker and could have a good career all up? He is still improving. Ahead of all those battler types.

He’s the coach mate, he’s literally employed to prepare the team mentally to play football. That’s his one job.
They were 41 points up he can’t have prepared them much more we were in a winning position again for a reason what do you guys expect him to do when our best player continue to capitulate?

He’s coached a flag and a grand final this take is laughable. The players are soft mentally what changes could he have made?
On the back of “us against the world ra ra ra”. His match day adjustment are non existent.

Side note, the NOD holding the ball v.Dunks is one of the worst decisions of the year.

What would yours be he moved a few players around it didn’t work

Moving players? To do what? What exactly is the game plan? Do we play through the middle? Out wide to leading forwards? How do we defend-where do the defenders go? Its all haphazard headless chook stuff hope that Naughton, JUH, Wieghtman tack a pack mark, often beating each other to the same kick.

On the back of “us against the world ra ra ra”. His match day adjustment are non existent.

Side note, the NOD holding the ball v.Dunks is one of the worst decisions of the year.
I’m still waiting to hear what plan B and C he should’ve gone too?

I don’t blame Bevo alone, I blame the club for not seeing that we needed a robust coaching panel with numerous senior voices to challenge him. The lack of leadership, culture and heart is also a broader list management problem too. We let all of our senior leaders and players with character go and never replaced them. So vanilla now. Bunch of very nice footballers.

The only worry is that Bevo was the one against additional coaching appointments and leading our list management.

So the players who are the ones who are consistently the issue bare no blame? A coach can only do so much

So the players got us to the GF last year, Bevo didn’t do anything? Or is Bevo only credited with the good performances?

The team is set up to fail a lot. That’s on him, and those he chooses to surround the team with.

Maybe he’s got one more big effort in him, and he’ll bring the players along. I don’t believe that’s the case, and think (like he has said previously, I believe) that a decade at one club as senior coach is likely enough. I hope he moves on before he taints his legacy.

All of that said, I do agree that the players need to take some responsibility. Having got to a 40 point lead they should’ve been able to see that out if I took over as coach - and I was pretty drunk by then. There is an obvious lack of leadership among the group, that needs to be sorted out asap before we end up being disappointments for the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving players? To do what? What exactly is the game plan? To we play through the middle? Out wide to leading forwards? How do we defend-where do the defenders go? Its all haphazard headless chook stuff hope that Naughton, JUH, Wieghtman tack a pack mark, often beating each other to the same kick.
It was 44-3 for a reason it was working fine then the players stopped executing hence they’re the ones who deserve more of the blame how can they do it for a quarter and a half then not time after time?

I’m 51 lol.
Look I’m actually enjoying the club right now, best era ever.
I’ve played plenty of sport so I guess that helps to get over stuff I didn’t participate in.

I also enjoy music, that helps in heaps of life’s aspects.

Next year will start again soon enough.
I enjoy music too...best era ever, but same old. We are better than this. Now, what should I put on play list? Thank God I've Hit the Bottom or Best Thing? I played in a grand final and lost because I was hip and shouldered out of the game and not allowed to come back on. We are wasting it!!!

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

How are people still blaming Bevo? Yeah a few selections I.e Vandermeer were bad but again our players are mentally weak and s**t themselves when the opposition get a run on it’s not coaching it’s personal we don’t have it
I love your posts and generally agree with most of them. But at some point the buck has to stop with the coach and that feels like now. Yes the players have either played poorly or not executed what was asked of them but ultimately that’s the coaches job to eliminate that. If the players continuously can’t, or won’t, do what has been coached day in day out there is a problem. It doesn’t make Bevo a poor coach but it might indicate it’s no longer working.

So the players got us to the GF last year, Bevo didn’t do anything? Or is Bevo only credited with the good performances?

The team is set up to fail a lot. That’s on him, and those he chooses to surround the team with.

Maybe he’s got one more big effort in him, and he’ll bring the players along. I don’t believe that’s the case, and think (like he has said previously, I believe) that a decade at one club as senior coach is likely enough. I hope he moves on before he taints his legacy.

All of that said, I do agree that the players need to take some responsibility. Having got to a 40 point lead they should’ve been able to see that out if I took over as coach - and I was pretty drunk by then. There is an obvious lack of leadership among the group, that needs to be sorted out asap before we end up being disappointments for the next few years.
The players are the ones who hit the switch and turn off and fold up shop

Deep breath...

We seriously ****ed the dog at the selection table this week and Im not talking about West or any other fringe player. Im talking about going into a game on what was pretty clearly a boggy ground with a 3 headed monster tall forward line that was set up to fail.

As for the game itself it was the same old same old. We are great when teams let us play on our terms and we get to dominate the inside ball. We are god awful when our pressure drops away and teams come at us and the ball gets out wide. We are even worse when the ball is transitioning between the arcs either out of our forward line which it does with ease, because aside for JJ when he plays none of our small to medium forwards have a ground ball game or can apply pressure. Cody do you even tackle or understand defensive positioning Bro?

Then we have the complete cluster**** of our wingers this season. Seriously what do they offer our side. On paper you would think that a rotation of Hunter, BSmith and Treloar would be enough to cover for the likes of whoever else we rotate through there to plug up the gaping hole in our midfield. Alas, none of the can reliably deliver the ball inside 50 and none of them offer much defensively. Our most reliable winger, is a serious liability with his inability to mark the ball overhead, lay an effective tackle or kick the thing beyond 30metres at speed. Don't get me started on the stopping, pivoting and momentum murdering general slowness of play.

As for our defenders...I just cant do it and neither can they.

We've built a team that is possibly the only one dimensional thing in the known universe. We are way too reliant on contested ball beasts like The Bont, Dunkley and Libba to contain the ball with brute force in close, because once its out wide we are truly ****ed because this side is mentally fragile when teams inevitably get their hands on the ball. Just as we are physically week outside of the contest and are being hamstrung by a team that seems incapable of running out quarters or containing any side that gets out wide and around our awful loose wingers.

Anyways...If anybody thought we were still a chance at halftime then you clearly weren't paying attention to the vision from the rooms. Its summed up where the game was headed in a nutsack. Our side was sitting back on the tiers looking spent, listening to whatever it was that Beveridge was telling them. I'd like to think he was telling them to get their ****ing heads out of their arses and start tackling again. In stark contrast. Freo were all up on there feet banked around Langmuir listening intentently to whatever it was that he was telling them. I'd like to think that he was telling them that the dogs are mentally and physically weak that that one more tap on the top of the egg should shatter their fragile self belief into lots of little pieces.

Although I dont rate them very highly. I'll get behind Freo to win a very unlikely flag at least until Collingwood tip them out next week. Then I wont give a **** because Im going camping grand final weekend.

Beveridge needs to pull apart this team and his coaching philosophies and he needs to start doing it yesterday.

...and, exhale.

Last edited:
Our CEO has already said there is no pressure on the coach
Our CEO and President need to grow a backbone and put as much pressure on him as possible short of sacking him, Grant as well, they should be demanding answers as to why this year has turned out the way it has.

Bevo doing a fair bit of player blaming in his press conference. If you didn’t like them kicking the ball across the ground Bev maybe do something about it, since you’re on the boundary line ?
Surely not? This was lost at the selection table. Sorry, I don’t think we have a selection table, it’s Bevo’s battlers or you are moved on.

It was 44-3 for a reason it was working fine then the players stopped executing hence they’re the ones who deserve more of the blame how can they do it for a quarter and a half then not time after time?
Because freo’s coaching team changed the way the game was played. They went back to a possession game like did in round 21.

That’s why people are annoyed. Opposition coaches can pull moves to change the game, ours can’t

Of course they can but they can’t stop the other team overrunning everytime they’re not out on the ground it’s not basketball where you can have a time out the players have to grow a pair and step up and stop it
He had three quarters to stop it and didn't go close. You are very much in the minority being an uncritical supporter of Bevo. We shouldn't sack Bevo but a contract extension must not be a sure thing. The cheerleading from a minority is a bit bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back