Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

They are good choices. Crane and Stewart had a lot of courage. There is a quote in the book from Robert Walls about Gary Crane. I went with the traditional spelling of "Gary" by the way in the book, but I think he prefers "Garry".

Anyway, the quote from Walls is: "I reckon I played with and coached only two players who were totally fearless, players who passed the courage test on every occasion. They were Gary Crane and Ken Hunter. Both unhesitatingly and unflinchingly went for the dangerous ball when it was their turn to go."

The improvement Carlton got out of Crane from 1967 to '68 was immense.
Cliff Stewart was my science teacher at Princes Hill High.

Cliff Stewart was my science teacher at Princes Hill High.

Was he tough on you? Detentions for being rude/late to class etc?

A courageous player, but things didn't work out for him in '68. He had a good game against Essendon in Round 14 of 1968, but factors/injuries etc conspired against him in terms of making the finals team.

Was he tough on you? Detentions for being rude/late to class etc?

A courageous player, but things didn't work out for him in '68. He had a good game against Essendon in Round 14 of 1968, but factors/injuries etc conspired against him in terms of making the finals team.
Ha ha he was mate, he liked handing out lunch time detentions but he never went for the strap as it would mess up his cool blond hair in a Ricky Nelson style, but he was a great teacher and had respect from all of us.

Ha ha he was mate, he liked handing out lunch time detentions but he never went for the strap as it would mess up his cool blond hair in a Ricky Nelson style, but he was a great teacher and had respect from all of us.

Ricky Nelson. Jeepers, you have some obscure pop music knowledge there.
The Beatles finished off his career ...along with more talented types such as the Everly Brothers. Then again, maybe poor management was to blame. I have gone off topic here.

Damn, I cannot enter the competition but do not care.
Cannot wait to spend the money on this and read it.
What's the best place to buy it so creator of book is more rewarded?

Thanks Footy Fan 1978, I hope you enjoy the read. There are over 170 photos in it, so hopefully it grabs your attention in terms of the visual content as well.

Collins Bookstores, Readings and Dymocks Chadstone, Prahran and Camberwell have it....amongst a few others.

Thanks Footy Fan 1978, I hope you enjoy the read. There are over 170 photos in it, so hopefully it grabs your attention in terms of the visual content as well.

Collins Bookstores, Readings and Dymocks Chadstone, Prahran and Camberwell have it....amongst a few others.
Thanks heaps. Dymocks Chadstone it is then.
I think the pictures I will love. I was not around so it fantastic to see what went on then.

Hi Miles

Got the book yesterday. It looks fantastic and you should be proud of your work. Going away for a week or so in a weeks time and will read it then. Great photos.

Bluebaggers (and other people of the navy blue persuasion), there is an article on Brent Crosswell via this link.

The question I posed in the book is :
“What does my team need to obtain premiership success? Is there a formula?”

Well, in 1968, the formula for Carlton was (i) a significant improvement from at least four existing players; (ii) one player who thrived in a new playing position; and (iii) a newcomer/rookie who made an immediate impact.

Perhaps when you look at Carlton in 2023 you can see significant improvement in 2023 with certain players.
Cerra? O'Brien? Carroll? Motlop?
A new playing position for an established player?.... Zac Williams or someone else?
A newcomer?.....can a draftee make an immediate impact?

In 1968, the magic formula was achieved and premiership success came to Carlton.

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to share the below snippet from Barassi's Blues. I think it's quite similar to Carlton's current squad.

All football supporters ask the question: “What does my team need to obtain premiership success? Is there a formula?”

Well, in 1968, the formula for Carlton was (i) a significant improvement from at least four existing players; (ii) one player who thrived in a new playing position; and (iii) a newcomer/rookie who made an immediate impact.

#baggersareback

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will most probably buy the book - sounds like it will be a good read - pictures should be good also - and i hope you dont mind me contributing to the thread

But i did go to the 68 GF i was only young - and i also went to all 4 finals in the 70 series

And i only give honest opinions - not sugar coated rubbish

Its amazing how your memory works for any experience - but the 68 GF it was close - but very average - very dour game - the 2 things which stick in my memory - were where we were seated - hff Punt rd end Members side - and way up high - incredible - it was like we were sitting on the top of a sky scraper building - and open to the elements . The 2nd thing i can remember - and i can picture this now - about 3-4 minutes after the game - a couple of Ess trainers - lifted up and carried on their shoulders Ken Fraser the Ess capt - for a lap around the boundary line - so their supporters could give him a bit of a clap - he didnt play - he badly hurt his knee the week before - he couldnt walk - but i can still picture that now

As to 1970 - that was far more exciting - and in my view re the whole final series - a book on that would be more exciting than 68

Ok the GF - has been done to death - everyone has seen it 100 times - my only comment - Coll should have been 12-14 goals in front at h/t with reasonably accurate kicking but they werrnt

However the 1970 Second semi - and to be perfectly honest - i think both the Carlton and Coll historian/librarian whatever are both asleep at the wheel - because that 2nd semi was a fantastic game - excitement plus - and i rate it - in probably the best 3 games i have ever been to . From memory it was about 17 goals to 16 - Coll by about 8-10 pts - so that suggested there wasnt much between the 2 teams . Peter McKenna kicked 9 i think and Alex Jesaulenko kicked 8 - plus the Lee Adamson - Syd Jackson incident . So that sensational 2nd semi wetted the apetite for the rematch in 2 weeks ( Carl easily beat StK in the PF - just as Stk had done to Sth Melb in the 1st semi )

However much to my angst - they havent shown that 2nd semi - no vision has been shown - and alot of football supporters/followerrs are missing out on a great game

And there is vision available - and why i say that - on the Geel board this year - ( it may have been the non Geel thread - but i dont think it was ) someone put up for some reason ( maybe Full forwards were being mentioned ) Peter McKenna - Part 1 - of the highlights of his career - so i decided to watch it

And what i quickly realised watching it - was there was quite a bit of vision from that 2nd semi - where he kicked the 9 goals

And what i noticed from a Carlton perspective - was Wes Lofts who was a good FB - probably played for Victoria -but im pretty sure he wasnt injured - i just think Barassi just sacked him from the Carlton side because he couldnt handle McKenna - and of course it was no problem for Barassi to make big/gutsy decisions like that - so Wes Lofts didnt play in the 70 series

But what i noticed - in that 2nd semi John Gould the hbflanker - he played FB on McKenna - but no joy - because he had the 9 goals kicked against him

And in the GF Barassi put Kevin Hall who was a mobile tall utility type player at FB on McKenna

So there are just a few views on 68 and 70 - and it would be great - if someone got/obtained vision of the whole game of that 2nd Semi Final

They are some excellent observations Goggin Our Best! It is good to get your outlook on it all.

For me, the 1968 GF was the building block from which further success was possible. If the Blues hadn't have won in '68, would the heroics of 1970 really have been possible? '68 was the foundational stone for 1970.

The 1970 2nd semi, I agree with you. For many years, I thought it was the best game (or up there in the top 5 at least) and for me it wasn't the goal kicking so much, but the endless contests. Contest after contest, players throwing themselves into each battle. The aim of the game today is to largely make it uncontested, but in those days everything was up for grabs.

Your point on Lofts was a good one in my opinion. McKenna, earlier in the year at Waverley, really kicked goals that were off the charts unbelievable. Lofts (after 10 plus years in the caper) was coming up against a full-forward who was at the top of his game. Lofts, at the same time, was coming to the twilight of his game. I like your point that Barassi was willing to make the gutsy decisions. Look at the photo of Barass and Lofts together after the 1968 GF. You know Barassi had real admiration for Lofts, but he had to make the calls for the team as a whole in '70. If he didn't, McKenna might have kicked 10 in a GF. There was a lot at stake.

Last edited:
They are some excellent observations Goggin Our Best! It is good to get your outlook on it all.

For me, the 1968 GF was the building block from which further success was possible. If the Blues hadn't have won in '68, would the heroics of 1970 really have been possible? '68 was the foundational stone for 1970.

The 1970 2nd semi, I agree with you. For many years, I thought it was the best game (or up there in the top 5 at least) and for me it wasn't the goal kicking so much, but the endless contests. Contest after contest, players throwing themselves into each battle. The aim of the game today is to largely make it uncontested, but in those days everything was up for grabs.

Your point on Lofts was a good one in my opinion. McKenna, earlier in the year at Waverley, really kicked goals that were off the charts unbelievable. Lofts (after 10 plus years in the caper) was coming up against a full-forward who was at the top of his game. Lofts, at the same time, was coming to the twilight of his game. I like your point that Barassi was willing to make the gutsy decisions. Look at the photo of Barass and Lofts together after the 1968 GF. You know Barassi had real admiration for Lofts, but he had to make the calls for the team as a whole in '70. If he didn't, McKenna might have kicked 10 in a GF. There was a lot at stake.

Just quickly on Wes Lofts

At the twilight/end of his career - he played some games at Centre Half Forward for Carlton

And why i know that - it was either 70 or 71 - i went to a Carl v Geel game at Princess Park and he was playing CHF that day - i can vividly remember it for one reason ( and he did play quite well ) was because he kicked a stack of points

I was standing down behind the visitors end ( not the Heatley stand end - the other end ) goals - and he had multiple shots ( i reckon it was in the 2nd qtr ) and he missed the lot of them . And of course as an opposition supporter your hoping they are going to miss - i can remember one shot ( i can picture it ) he was 25-30 metres out dead in front ( set shot after a mark ) im thinking to myself - he cant miss this one - he just cant - but he did - and it didnt just miss - it went to his right hand side - right through the middle of the points - i can still see him shaking his head - ha - ha -ha

As I recall - Kevin Hall played on Peter McKenna in the 1970 Grand Final and McKenna was having a picnic in the first half - when he and Des Tuddenham ran in to each other and either one or both of them was concussed - which was the first piece of luck we had in that game - was probably the begining of the turning point in that game.

As I recall - Kevin Hall played on Peter McKenna in the 1970 Grand Final and McKenna was having a picnic in the first half - when he and Des Tuddenham ran in to each other and either one or both of them was concussed - which was the first piece of luck we had in that game - was probably the begining of the turning point in that game.
Tuddy was almost certainly lining up Hall, but got McKenna. Won the game for us really.

Just quickly on Wes Lofts

At the twilight/end of his career - he played some games at Centre Half Forward for Carlton

And why i know that - it was either 70 or 71 - i went to a Carl v Geel game at Princess Park and he was playing CHF that day - i can vividly remember it for one reason ( and he did play quite well ) was because he kicked a stack of points

I was standing down behind the visitors end ( not the Heatley stand end - the other end ) goals - and he had multiple shots ( i reckon it was in the 2nd qtr ) and he missed the lot of them . And of course as an opposition supporter your hoping they are going to miss - i can remember one shot ( i can picture it ) he was 25-30 metres out dead in front ( set shot after a mark ) im thinking to myself - he cant miss this one - he just cant - but he did - and it didnt just miss - it went to his right hand side - right through the middle of the points - i can still see him shaking his head - ha - ha -ha

Gee, you have a good memory there. What's the secret? Lots of Vitamin C?..

Yes, that match was in 1970. They got Southby in the following season to play FB...what a flawless transition! Walls was missing in a few matches in 1970, and they used Lofts at CHF in those matches. The interesting aspect about Lofts from my viewpoint is that opposition supporters really disliked him. There wasn't a Carlton player they booed more than Lofts. He had a reputation. Essendon supporters in particular were not fond of Lofts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back