Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and dont forget the 30 metre tap to Keogh or, Sheldon cant remember which one .. waiting in the goal square, .I'm not sure if that was measured from 10 rows back or not though.

Wes Lofts lost all credibility 12 months earlier in the 69 Grand Final when Bill Barrett kicked 8 goals on him ... Mostly in the second half with 4 goals in the last quarter when Richmond put Carlton to the sword.

Checked AFLtables website, in 1969 only 2 wins separated 1st and 5th teams at the end of the h&a season.
Bill Barrot 8.0, it was at Princes Park in the second last round of '69. We led at 3 quarter time but was then overrun in a shootout. In hindsight it was a crucial game for our chances of a back to back premiership win. A win to Carlton would have meant Richmond missing the finals (final 4) instead of going on to win the flag and an inexperienced Hawthorn making the finals.

Hey Miles,

I played a season of superules in 1995 which I enjoyed as we played against many ex AFL players at reasonable grounds like Victoria Patk and Skinner reserve.

One day we were playing against Oak Park (I think) who had quite a few ex AFL players including Harmesy. Our ground was known to be windy and cold and on this day really muddy. Harmesy rocks up with a T shirt, shorts and thongs on a day that was about 6 degrees. Goals were at a premium and the ball weighed a ton. Still remember organising the defence when he had a shot from 50+ out and saying "I'll cover the line" as it sailed over my head for a goal.

Good bloke and stayed for a few afterwards.

There was a rumour that he was a Tigers supporter and continued to barrack for them after playing for the Blues but hoping that was incorrect.

Hi BigFrizz36,

That is a great memory to have!! I am jealous. Harmes is my all-time favourite player, even above Jezza, Crosswell, Kouta, Kernahan etc....the whole lot of them. He had just such a vast array of skills and as you mention here his long kicking was next level.

You know with the whole "Harmes barracked for Richmond" scenario, it doesn't worry me. I am sure that support was in some way due to Len Smith being his grandfather. The fact he only played for Carlton is all that is important. He could still support Collingwood, Richmond, East Wagga Kooringal & Corowa-Rutherglen for all I care, the fact is he only played for The Blues.

Last edited:
Hi BigFrizz36,

That is a great memory to have!! I am jealous. Harmes is my all-time favourite player, even above Jezza, Crosswell, Kouta, Kernahan etc....the whole lot of them. He had just such a vast array of skills and as you mention here his long kicking was next level.

You know with the whole "Harmes barracked for Richmond" scenario, it doesn't worry me. I am sure that support was in some way due to Len Smith being his grandfather. The fact he only played for Carlton is all that is important. He could still support Collingwood, Richmond, East Wagga Kooringal & Corowa-Rutherglen for all I care, the fact is he only played for The Blues.
I'd drop off Corowa Rutherglen though. Big player exodus this year with 23 leaving apparently, and they were o.k. only last year. Not sure how East Wagga Kooringal are travelling .

It took a little time, but I finally tracked down a copy of the book, and it's a Carlton Tragic's delight, and I am definitely of that ilk and vintage.

Many thanks to Miles for his work, and I'm even more impressed he found a publisher. I wonder was it difficult?

A great book, both in terms of writing and photographs.

It took a little time, but I finally tracked down a copy of the book, and it's a Carlton Tragic's delight, and I am definitely of that ilk and vintage.

Many thanks to Miles for his work, and I'm even more impressed he found a publisher. I wonder was it difficult?

A great book, both in terms of writing and photographs.
Hi Kismet,

I am glad you found it rewarding! The main aim was to find those rare photos as it depressed me that most of the visual records from that period of Carlton's history have gone missing. For example, there was a super picture of Nicholls holding the cup after the 1968 GF on the front page of The Sun in '68. That is no longer available in print format. There is one similar to it in the book though...but still.

In terms of the publishing, I didn't find it too difficult as I started writing articles way back in 2001. So that is 20 plus years of obstacles or "challenges" if we put it in more optimistic terms. Remember the Inside Carlton magazine that went out to members? I had a few articles in that mag. There was an article on Carlton's best finals players, Brian Kekovich, Bernie Evans & his suspension for the '87 GF & a few others. There were a few pieces for Inside Football as well from the early 2000s and some other bits and bobs.

Hi Kismet,

I am glad you found it rewarding! The main aim was to find those rare photos as it depressed me that most of the visual records from that period of Carlton's history have gone missing. For example, there was a super picture of Nicholls holding the cup after the 1968 GF on the front page of The Sun in '68. That is no longer available in print format. There is one similar to it in the book though...but still.

In terms of the publishing, I didn't find it too difficult as I started writing articles way back in 2001. So that is 20 plus years of obstacles or "challenges" if we put it in more optimistic terms. Remember the Inside Carlton magazine that went out to members? I had a few articles in that mag. There was an article on Carlton's best finals players, Brian Kekovich, Bernie Evans & his suspension for the '87 GF & a few others. There were a few pieces for Inside Football as well from the early 2000s and some other bits and bobs.

Now I know why I recognised your name!

Your book brought back many memories, as the '68 was when I started following our club. Some years ago I got to know Percy Jones and Wes Lofts at Perc's old pub in Elgin Street. Wes had a formidable intellect, and for someone known for his ruthlessness on and off the field, was a very caring and generous individual. He didn't talk much about past footy glories (although he always had a slight grin when talking about Peter Hudson fainting from 'sunstroke' when they played against each other), but did enjoy any philosophical cut and thrust. He would've appreciated your work.

I distinctly remember being at York Park (Launceston) watching North Launceston play in the NTFA Grand Final the day of the 1970 VFL Grand Final, because I remember cracking the sads as a 10 year old about how far down we were and getting told off by my mother for being happy when I had heard on the portable radio we had that McKenna went down (I think in the second quarter). Mum was a Pies supporter, so that contributed to her response.

However - for years, I thought that can't be right, there is no way that the NTFA Grand Final would be scheduled on the same day as the VFL Grand Final. So I thought I must have been imagining things. And sure enough, when I looked it up (I have a scrapbook from that season), the NTFA Grand Final was indeed played the preceding Saturday to the VFL Grand Final. So I put it all down to my memory playing tricks on me.

However, there's a twist. Upon even further investigation, it turned out that in the NTFA Under 19s finals that season there had been a draw. The replay set the finals series back a week. So the Under 19s Grand Final was played at York Park on the Saturday of the VFL Grand Final, and because it was a stand alone game it was obviously played later on in the day, conflicting with the VFL.

So my memory was correct after all.

By the way, North Launceston won that Under 19s Grand Final. One of the premiership players in that side was one Tony Pickett.

By the way, my mother died less than 18 months after the 1970 Grand Final, at the age of 40 in January 1972.

So because of that there will always be part of me that wishes in hindsight that Collingwood had won that day. For her.

Last edited:
Now I know why I recognised your name!

Your book brought back many memories, as the '68 was when I started following our club. Some years ago I got to know Percy Jones and Wes Lofts at Perc's old pub in Elgin Street. Wes had a formidable intellect, and for someone known for his ruthlessness on and off the field, was a very caring and generous individual. He didn't talk much about past footy glories (although he always had a slight grin when talking about Peter Hudson fainting from 'sunstroke' when they played against each other), but did enjoy any philosophical cut and thrust. He would've appreciated your work.

Hi Kismet,

My only encounter with Wes Lofts was oddly outside a cafe in South Yarra. He must have lived in Toorak I guess. I was wearing a Carlton woolly pullover and it had the Carlton logo on it. He stared at me for ages. He had a stare that cut through you.

The Lofts vs Hudson battles were really talked up by the newspapers at the time. So many photos in the newspapers from that time featured their contests. They loved it. I guess their first battle - Hudson's first match - gave a fair indication of what was to come. Hudson's guernsey was ripped off and he kept wearing it despite it dangling over his shoulder. There was another match against Essendon where the Essendon supporters only booed when Lofts was near the ball. I think the perception was that he sometimes played...how do we put it... with a different rule book to the umpires.

Yeah Miles - well done - i bought your book - had it about 2 weeks - just flicked through it - mainly looking at the pictures - intend to read it over the Xmas break

I reckon for any book to be top shelf - doesnt matter what topic - i think it is a 50/50 split - the words are very important - but youve got to have great photography as well - and i like yours

Just a couple of final points - i see one of your opening pictures is courtesy of Neil Chandler - he seemed to be Carltons perennial 19th or 20th man in alot of those big finals back in that era

I see you have mentioned re Wes Lofts - that he kept Doug Wade goaless one day - thats a pretty good effort

I alluded to - that i went to a Carlton v Geel game at Princess Park around 70-71 - i might have gone to 2 games around that time frame - but another memory from that - is in the last qtr of the 2nds ( you know - you get their midway through the last qtr ) this huge roar kept going up when a certain Carlton player touched the ball - and i thought what in the hell is happening here - and it was Serge Silvagni- a fan favourite - and my take/memory on that is - he hadnt been dropped - or coming back from injury - instead - he had retired at the end of the previous year - might have been Carltons runner for a while - and then he decided to make a comeback mid season - i might be wrong on that - but i dont reckon i am .

I alluded to - that i went to a Carlton v Geel game at Princess Park around 70-71 - i might have gone to 2 games around that time frame - but another memory from that - is in the last qtr of the 2nds ( you know - you get their midway through the last qtr ) this huge roar kept going up when a certain Carlton player touched the ball - and i thought what in the hell is happening here - and it was Serge Silvagni- a fan favourite - and my take/memory on that is - he hadnt been dropped - or coming back from injury - instead - he had retired at the end of the previous year - might have been Carltons runner for a while - and then he decided to make a comeback mid season - i might be wrong on that - but i dont reckon i am .

You are right, I read an article a few years ago that mentioned Serge retiring after the 1969 grand final and Barassi convinced him to come back.
Serge came back in round 15 in 1970 against North Melbourne and played until the end of the 1971 season when both Barassi and Serge retired from Carlton.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Miles - well done - i bought your book - had it about 2 weeks - just flicked through it - mainly looking at the pictures - intend to read it over the Xmas break

I reckon for any book to be top shelf - doesnt matter what topic - i think it is a 50/50 split - the words are very important - but youve got to have great photography as well - and i like yours

Just a couple of final points - i see one of your opening pictures is courtesy of Neil Chandler - he seemed to be Carltons perennial 19th or 20th man in alot of those big finals back in that era

I see you have mentioned re Wes Lofts - that he kept Doug Wade goaless one day - thats a pretty good effort

Hi,

That is great that you like the visual element of the book. Thank you. It was the major aim - if nothing else was achieved at least there are now action photos of Brian Kekovich, Barry Gill and Ian Robertson amongst others in a footy book.

In my opinion, it is overlooked that Lofts had a good record on the power forwards of Wade, McKenna and Hudson from 1967-69. I agree with you, to keep Wade goalless in that match in 1968 was a significant achievement. 1970 was a tougher year for Lofts though. It was interesting when reading Wade's comments in another book recently that he didn't rate Lofts as one of his toughest opponents. Maybe he didn't appreciate Lofts' more robust approach towards nullifying an opponent? Not sure. Hudson did rate Lofts highly and I put those comments in the book.

I'm not from that time but remember a video of Fox Footy channel which would indicate your memory spot on.

15 minutes 18 seconds into this video Terry Wallace asks him how many roles he done at the club and he talks about how in 1970 he was the runner and then later in season, came out of retirement.

Loved reading this book Miles. Was a youngster at this time and some of my earliest favourite players came from this team and this era. It was great to read some details and see photos of these guys that I didn’t know or hadn’t seen before. Especially liked reading about Crane and Quirk who I remember as early favourites of mine. Will be buying a copy for my brother for Christmas.

Loved reading this book Miles. Was a youngster at this time and some of my earliest favourite players came from this team and this era. It was great to read some details and see photos of these guys that I didn’t know or hadn’t seen before. Especially liked reading about Crane and Quirk who I remember as early favourites of mine. Will be buying a copy for my brother for Christmas.

Thank you for the feedback.

To know that there are photos in there that passionate supporters haven't seen before is a great reward for me.

Here's a photo of Garry Crane with the book. He loved it by the way, which is an honour in itself. These guys, Quirk, Crane, Nicholls etc, started the Carlton run of success. They deserve more kudos.

p.s - thanks for buying another book!

Cheers - Miles

1671652813983.png

Hi Miles - had a quick leaf through of my Christmas Present Copy today - it looks fantastic and photos I’ve never seen - can’t wait to read the copy at my leisure- 1968 drought breaker side finally getting the credit it deserves - hope you have a lash at writing about number 17 :thumbsu:
Also got the book for Christmas and am well on my way through it. Not quite sure why, but my favourite picture is the one on page 7 of Ron Barassi walking through the race after a game in 1967 where he has a black eye

Last edited:
Hi Miles - had a quick leaf through of my Christmas Present Copy today - it looks fantastic and photos I’ve never seen - can’t wait to read the copy at my leisure- 1968 drought breaker side finally getting the credit it deserves - hope you have a lash at writing about number 17 :thumbsu:
Also got the book for Christmas and am well on my way through it. Not quite sure why, but my favourite picture is the one on page 7 of Ron Barassi walking through the race after a game in 1967 where he has a black eye

Hi Spuddie05,

That's a good choice. I like that one too. Channel 9 kept most of the last quarter of that match and you can get a feel for how cold it was with the footage... "storm clouds are coming in" said the commentator. It got quite dark towards the end.

Barassi features a lot in that last quarter - a kick in defence, a handpass off the ground to Goold, then involved in three plays, a solid bump, a chase and a kick. He had a king-sized determination to impact matches.

Hi Agro,

Hope you enjoy the book. The drought breaking premierships deserve particular credit. I agree. Number 17 could be the best ever one considering the lengthy time of the drought. Melbourne will probably never see a party as big as Carlton's 17th premiership celebrations.

Gees, he still looks in great shape!
robert walls said he was the most courageous player he had seen back in his playing days...........the days of clay, barrot, bourke v crane, robertson, quirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back