Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a classic case of where no one really deserves high numbers of votes.

Brayshaws game was pretty ineffective for best on the ground
38 possessions 60 %DE
4 clearances
7 clangers
3 score involvements

CC was clearly the BOG in my eyes in a tight game
its a wierd one as 1 coach had brayshaw as best, the other as third best.
And the other had Young bog, and the other coach didn't give him a vote.

And 2 of Weiters, Curnow & Clark got 4 votes from one coach, and nothing from the other.

A mixed bag.

Definitely have to agree that if the umpires had been more diligent/honest then Freo would have won the match and they did look the better team a lot of the time. It was only our backline that kept us in it as Freo just didn`t punish us enough on the scoreboard thanks to Weitering and his mates, but please Vossy when Marchbank returns play Kemp up forward as he just panics too often and turns the ball over, and in the backline you usually get punished for that!!! I think he is a good athlete and would love his extra height and dash up forward (especially now that Elijah may miss a few games) and he can really take a speccie, but dropping speccies in the backline or dragging the ball under you in front of the oppositions goal can really hurt the team in a close game......I actually feel he would be a good foil for Harry & Charlie and give the team a point of difference as we need more goalkickers when the other two are held and Kemp does have some flair to his game, but it can also hurt you!!!
We didn't punish them on the scoreboard, second quarter and third quarters 9 points kick a couple of those and we win comfortably

This is a classic case of where no one really deserves high numbers of votes.

Brayshaws game was pretty ineffective for best on the ground
38 possessions 60 %DE
4 clearances
7 clangers
3 score involvements

CC was clearly the BOG in my eyes in a tight game
8 votes for that effort by Brayshaw is a joke.

ineffectual or what!

Watching the post match interviews - is it just me or does Matty Cottrell sound like Damian Oliver ?? :)

Waiting for him to say 'Mr. Voss told me to play in front'

Last edited:
Lol Channel 9 Perth. Real reliable source of truth. Pearce and Ryan were the two most annoyed at Ryan. They hear what was said.
Exactly why did they rally around him…the AFL know what he said and AS IF he was talking in the third person !! He ain’t that smart

First post here.

Firstly on the last minute or so of the game. As a nuffy supporter if roles were reversed, I reckon I too would be screaming blue murder had we have lost on a touched mark.

Having said that, I expect the media to be more professional than that and look at the game in its entirety. Freo got a number of free kicks in front of goal. I concede the majority were there, but there were a couple I'd call controversial to say the least.

Furthermore, in a game of footy, that would be a number of marks paid that would have scraped the fingernails, flicked the hair and were missed. If they want to run through the entire game and carefully check each mark to ensure not a single one was touched in anyway shape or form and if they were, did that lead to a goal, lets have a discussion about that. These things happen.

Some go way, some don't go your way. We seem to have done well of late in the close ones, but it wasn't too long ago where none of them went our way. It is in part experience and being better prepared to handle those situations and yes there is an element of luck. The luck component will turn eventually so we need to make the most of it.

As for the dissent free, that is 100% on Jordan Clarke. It was stupid,undicsiplined and selfish by him. If one of our players did that (and I reckon Nic Newman was dangerously close to conceding a 50 for dissent earlier in the game) I'd be ropeable with the player and would expect Voss ro read him the riot act. Not our problem in this case.

That's for Freo and J-Lo to deal with. Anyway, with 40 odd seconds on the clock and fact they'd only kicked 9 for the game (and a number of those from free kicks), whilst not impossible, the likelihood of them kicking a goal and winning the game would be slim from there.

My main observation from this game and the other 3 season is that we are in far better shape from playing style than we were 12 months ago when we were just travelling. I'd expect our clearance work to get better though.

Having said that, I think there are too many who do too little over the 4 quarters leaving others to pick up the slack. I know the small forward role is the hardest in footy and I know both Corey and Orazio are coming back from injury, but I don't think either of them get involved enough.

Orazio makes basic errors like the one which gave Freo back the lead in the last when he left his man. I believe Owies need to get more involved too but he is at least hitting the scoreboard.

With Jesse at least another week away, Jack M further and Fog out this week, they'll all need to step up. I love Ollie Hollands. His running capacity and courage are admirable. However, his kicking is a real concern. Not sure it is up to standard at this point. Brodie Kemp - love that he always backs himself but for mine for every good things he does, he is doing 3 bad things. Needs to cut those errors down considerably.

Have no stats to back this up, only going by naked eye so happy to be corrected but seems to me Saad is playing with a lot less risk. Taking less running bounces (though took a few more this game), taking the safe option with the kick as well. Not sure if that is a decision he has made or coaches call with Gov and Zac W assigned to take the game on more.

Oh yeah and Cerra kicked a ripping goal early in the game, but on the whole been well down on last seasons output.

Having said all that, all in all, far more positive start to the season and looking forward to seeing the great man back next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well clearly he asked the wrong umpire !
Just plain lying now

Funny as the head of the AFL seemed pretty sure what was said.... And that it wasn't suitable to be repeated on morning telly.

Absolute lies from out West to try save face.

Funny as the head of the AFL seemed pretty sure what was said.... And that it wasn't suitable to be repeated on morning telly.

Absolute lies from out West to try save face.
Yes !

Remember when Tom Alvin was adjudged holding the ball when tackled by his pony tail and was adjudged the correct decision because the pony tail was below the shoulders.

:rolleyes:
I do not remember that.

It’s not that the holding the ball free kicks were incorrect.
It’s that they only paid them one way, and 3 of them within 15 meters of goal.
None of our tackles were rewarded, despite having many more tackles than them, and all the blatant holding the balls and throws not being penalised.
Correct. It was almost as if the holding the ball rule did not apply to Alex Pearce. He would just pick it up and burrow into a tackle like he was playing rugby!!!!

There should be a thread of things we are still cranky about
Sounds like someone is still cranky there isn’t a thread about still being cranky about things …

Back