Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL footage wasn't as clear cut. But this fan footage shows the ball deviate quite a bit off the freo defender

We will take it. After all their sooking seeing this just made me chuckle.

I like how all the commentary assumes that a play on call (if made) would have seen Carlton NOT kick a goal. At he same time lots of people like to make the distinction between finals football where (presumably)umpires 'put the whistle away' and in particular I've noted over teh years that the put the whistle away seems to be most obvious in the final 5 or so minutes in finals.

Poor umpire(s) who happen NOT to be in teh position to actully see a split-second deflection as they are busy looking at everything else around the scene and elsewhere..

Still- happy to be on the receiving end of some good luck- whilst not convinced it would have made any difference to the outcome anyway- field position is everything in these situations - just as likely to have scored as not from a play on.

Definitely have to agree that if the umpires had been more diligent/honest then Freo would have won the match and they did look the better team a lot of the time. It was only our backline that kept us in it as Freo just didn`t punish us enough on the scoreboard thanks to Weitering and his mates, but please Vossy when Marchbank returns play Kemp up forward as he just panics too often and turns the ball over, and in the backline you usually get punished for that!!! I think he is a good athlete and would love his extra height and dash up forward (especially now that Elijah may miss a few games) and he can really take a speccie, but dropping speccies in the backline or dragging the ball under you in front of the oppositions goal can really hurt the team in a close game......I actually feel he would be a good foil for Harry & Charlie and give the team a point of difference as we need more goalkickers when the other two are held and Kemp does have some flair to his game, but it can also hurt you!!!
Absolute codswallop.

They got 6 goals from frees right in front of goal - half, at least, wouldn't be given most days....

Freo fans - who is ordering one of these - limited edition :laughv1: :laughv1: :laughv1:

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Man that Clark poster looks like it was made in the early 2000s lol
By someone's "talented nephew who knows about this Corel Draw program".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo football is a blight on the AFL. Rubbish, flooding garbage. If you wanted to show a foreigner footy you would never show you them a Freo game.

They can suffer for the way they lost. Trailer trash.
A coach will employ whatever game plan he can, to bring out the best in the players he has been given. Yeah, it was a tussle and dour to watch but they have lost some good cattle over the past few years, so for Longmuir to turn it around so quickly he has done well.

Their discipline in carrying out that plan, if they can continue it will cause a few teams problems. 80 tackles we applied, not many were rewarded because as soon as they are tackled, they hold onto the ball for dear life to cause a ball up and then kill teams with their clearances. Very uncontested game by them, chip and mark, chip and mark which took away our scoring strength in turnovers. They played their game and so did we, a bit of individual brilliance from some of our players got us home.

I agree, not fun to watch and will be tougher when the ball gets greasy, but we had to man up to take their game away from them.

The ending was unfortunate, not the result, but the way it happened, but when you look at the game as a whole and not just the last 5 mins, I'm pretty sure there were tenfold more player mistakes than umpire mistakes

I like how all the commentary assumes that a play on call (if made) would have seen Carlton NOT kick a goal. At he same time lots of people like to make the distinction between finals football where (presumably)umpires 'put the whistle away' and in particular I've noted over teh years that the put the whistle away seems to be most obvious in the final 5 or so minutes in finals.

Poor umpire(s) who happen NOT to be in teh position to actully see a split-second deflection as they are busy looking at everything else around the scene and elsewhere..

Still- happy to be on the receiving end of some good luck- whilst not convinced it would have made any difference to the outcome anyway- field position is everything in these situations - just as likely to have scored as not from a play on.
You watch the vision and there is Carlton play on his own running goal wards on Cotterell's left. There is a defender and another Carlton player right behind Cotterell. It's not unreasonable that the Carlton player receives a handpass and has a shot or handpasses and blocks the freo defender out.

The whole media storm over this is just rubbish and every "idea" theorized as a fix will make things worse.

A coach will employ whatever game plan he can, to bring out the best in the players he has been given. Yeah, it was a tussle and dour to watch but they have lost some good cattle over the past few years, so for Longmuir to turn it around so quickly he has done well.

Their discipline in carrying out that plan, if they can continue it will cause a few teams problems. 80 tackles we applied, not many were rewarded because as soon as they are tackled, they hold onto the ball for dear life to cause a ball up and then kill teams with their clearances. Very uncontested game by them, chip and mark, chip and mark which took away our scoring strength in turnovers. They played their game and so did we, a bit of individual brilliance from some of our players got us home.

I agree, not fun to watch and will be tougher when the ball gets greasy, but we had to man up to take their game away from them.

The ending was unfortunate, not the result, but the way it happened, but when you look at the game as a whole and not just the last 5 mins, I'm pretty sure there were tenfold more player mistakes than umpire mistakes

Acres and Cerra come to mind. :p 👏

Coaches' Votes

8 -
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
5 - Hayden Young (FRE)
4 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
4 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
4 -
Jordan Clark (FRE)
3 - Caleb Serong (FRE)
1 - James Aish (FRE)
1 - Luke Ryan (FRE)

Coaches' Votes

8 -
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
5 - Hayden Young (FRE)
4 -
Jordan Clark (FRE)
3 - Caleb Serong (FRE)
1 - James Aish (FRE)
1 - Luke Ryan (FRE)
Geez Crippa and TDK stiff!

Geez Crippa and TDK stiff!
Especially Crippa. It surprised me he's listed as only having 3 clearances, but I reckon there were more than a few times the only reason the ball got out of a cluster **** was because of him, he was a man possessed at times and used absolute brute strength.

Coaches' Votes

8 -
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
5 - Hayden Young (FRE)
4 -
Jordan Clark (FRE)
3 - Caleb Serong (FRE)
1 - James Aish (FRE)
1 - Luke Ryan (FRE)
This is a classic case of where no one really deserves high numbers of votes.

Brayshaws game was pretty ineffective for best on the ground
38 possessions 60 %DE
4 clearances
7 clangers
3 score involvements

CC was clearly the BOG in my eyes in a tight game

This is a classic case of where no one really deserves high numbers of votes.

Brayshaws game was pretty ineffective for best on the ground
38 possessions 60 %DE
4 clearances
7 clangers
3 score involvements

CC was clearly the BOG in my eyes in a tight game
I had Weitering BOG, but I can't believe that one coach gave no votes to either Weitering or Curnow.

Back