Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Delusional if you think they weren't.

We lost by a goal.

In the last two minutes Cripps should have had a free kick that was paid all night for being held. If paid they don't get the goal that immediately follows from that stoppage.

Immedisfely following the goal they boot the ball out of bounds 20m away from the nearest Collingwood player. They'd paid that consistently all night.

The absolute best case scenario from the umpiring is that they robbed us of an opportunity to get the goal back and our dumb footy would have squandered it anyway.

If they're going to let Moore hold all night then they can give us the two goals they gifted because of the frees they paid against Williams.

Umpiring was more of a factor last week. Tonight we were just s**t. You can't put a loss where the opposition had 26 more i50's despite having 42 less disposals down to umpiring. Collingwood were just a high pressure, efficient machine tonight and we didn't bring the right intent and attitude that held us in good stead second half of last year to combat that. We were lucky it was only 6 points.

No need to be quiet about that. Hewett left his processing chip at home. Was slow of mind every possession. Couldn't make a decision.

Maybe that's symptomatic of a bad system ahead of him hard to tell on tv or just bad personnel up the ground. Or both.
It wasn't just Hewett. Walsh and Cripps were also incredibly ineffective.

We didn't have free men around the stoppage and struggled to get the ball to the outside. Collingwood outnumbered and out pressured.

It wasn't just Hewett. Walsh and Cripps were also incredibly ineffective

It's what happens when they're mauled and held all night.

But apparently, only Zac Williams holds.

The club needs to compile all the illegal holding that goes unrewarded and send the AFL a please explain. Cripps has been mauled for years and has very rarely received even the most obvious of frees. Opposition clubs know this and gameplan around it.

Just looking at cold hard facts.

And the fact is that for Collingwood to win you need the umpires to give you the world.

When they don't, you lose.

Here's another statistical fact:

Collingwood's scores from frees in chains throughout their premiership year is 17% higher than any other premier since Champion Data recorded the stats.

Tin foil hat s**t I call other supporters out on.

We lost because we weren’t good enough, end of.

We just sucked all round after quarter time.

What was most disappointing at the ground was the pressure. We were a mile off where we need to be, even where we were against GWS seems a distant memory. Some of the worst decision making in a long while, and it just seemed really lacksidasical. And when i thought we wouls fire up (eg half time)... nothing

I actually thought the backline held up pretty well all things considered. Cincotta was good, Young was good, and Williams.settled after a bad start (and then got injured, of course).

I even thought we set up with the right structure and even the right team selections. That is what probably allowed us to play like ass and only lose by a goal.

The 2 big questions for me are:
- what is the point of Durdin and Fantasia. Ok, they allow us to keep structure, but they are so far off the pace. At least Owies kicks goals.

- Cuningham. He's great when he gets the ball, but poor.defensively and doesn't get it much. I think we can carry one guy like that though

- why have our mids stopped going forward again? This killed us in our 9 straight losses last year but we got zero goals from Walsh, Cripps, Cerra, Acres, Hewitt, Pitto, Hollands combined. Collingwood got 2 from.Daicos, 1 from.Pendlebury, 1 from.Maynard etc.

And two steaming red hot takes:

- Charlie Curnow has not been healthy since returning and relied far too much on grappling/free kicks. The positive is that he has won 2 Colemans and i don't think been better than 70%. The negative is that we aren't getting the full package imo. Today, he really launched at a few rather than grappling Moore and maybe we are about to see it...

- Sam Walsh. In the last two seasons we are now 9-13 when he plays, and 10-1-0 (unbeaten) when he is injured. The way he is playing is just off, to me. He's great but not impacting games the right way and our midfield seems to bleed out the back of stoppages when he plays (exhibit a being the Adelaide game, and exhibit b being Daicos casually waltzing past him to kick the game winner today). I can't quite explain what he is doing to cause this, but at some point it becomes a thing, right?

Tin foil hat s**t I call other supporters out on.

We lost because we weren’t good enough, end of.

It's not tin foil hat stuff when the data so clearly supports the theory.

But eh, ban me. I'm done.

Just a very disappointing defeat. We had an opportunity to make a statement of intent here but it just wasn't availed off.

As disappointing as it is, i'm not going to call the year a bust just yet though.

Hopefully we see a strong response against both the Demons and the Swans.

Get two wins there and the situation looks a lot better. We're in the middle of a tough five game run of fixtures.

Coming out of it with at least three wins would still be a decent enough feat, considering the amount of playing personnel unavailable.
We’re not winning in Sydney and the Melbourne game is a fifty fifty

Not good enough today. Filth Pressure resulted in panic football and and the trusty old bomb and hack kick to a pack. Sitting behind the goals there was an instance in the last where the umpire awarded a free to them in our forward line before the ball was even back in the collingwood players hands the started spreading everywhere. The quick handball went out and they went coast to coast for a goal.

Young and to some extent Newman will take the free or mark walk back and nurse the ball for many seconds kicking to a pack on the boundary. Never see anyone running past demanding a handball, most likely cos they know they will never get the ball. It lets the opposition to structure up and reset their defensive plans.

Speed of mind and foot skills killed us tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are all prone to overreact at times including myself.
1000% 2nite was disappointing.
And it mite take another week oe but don't jump off.
First 4 weeks we led comp for pressure rating averaging over 200 well above comp average.
This has dropped right off last 4 weeks except the occasionally burst..we hit 261 in the 25 min 7 goal burst v GWS.
Its impossible to sustain 2000 plus fir an entire season.
So they all know what needs to be done. Doing this or changing that is irrelevant until they get their pressure right up.
So im a half glasses full on this..if you hit that rating even a very good side like GSW will.
Why half full?
1. GWS example..that pressure levels defeat even the best
2. Hitting those pressure markers combined with our talent means good luck trying to beat us
3. Nowhere near these Mark but yet in all 3 loses we were in the game and could easily won all 3

So why arnt we hitting those marks?
Maybe bit of mindset
Personell..def losing fog has hurt
Could it be something physical..with so many injuries are some guy playing bit hurt
I know some will throw up playing extra ru k but identifizieren buy it..2 ite H tdk and CC also went up v 3 talls in moore however and frampton..id argue our 3 are mire athletic and better on the ground than their 3 ..so even though we playing extra tall so r oppo to counters it..

This was really frustrating today. Frustrating because we got measured by a better side and just have to take it. It's why people are jacked off or alternatively feeling really flat.

Prior to this game and starting this season, all Blues fans felt if we play our best it will be the best. Today was a setback to that belief.

Yes we missed Martin, Saad, Motlop and I'd probably include McGovern. The others hmmf. But Pies missed 2 and lost a player mid game. The difference starts getting less. Mcstay vs doch/JSoS long term.

We sit with a strong stoppage game, strong forwards and a reliance on a couple of incredibly high rated players to pull us through. We are currently weak in defensive 1 on 1s (calamity), and weak against turnover teams who are finals contenders. It's not lost on me that we are in the mix against these sides. We just learnt we aren't better; just a 1 in 6 chance for a flag.

Credit needs to go to the Pies despite hating that fact. They lose initially then get the game on their terms quite often. It felt like we were strangled after qtr time. That is to their credit where most on here blame the players efforts. The life was squeezed out of our players with no successful avenue to turn too.

You cant have everything in a list like the Pies have no key forwards of note along with Cox and the ex Adelaide key defender who is shite mostly.

For us, we def will get our chance with this list but it is just that; a chance.

The only thing I'd like fixed is our defensive balance to fix the calamity of one on one losses, panic and a tendency to prefer zoning than body on body. Except for Weitering, our defence consists of rebound players who are less strong in one on one situations. Boyd, Saad, Newman, Williams, Mcgovern, Marchbank, Kemp and Young all prefer to rebound but are weakish on one on one defensive contests. They lose their man in one on ones, fall over and panic. They take turns doing it; some slightly more than others. Each player with def con 5 pressure can do it for periods but not week to week.

We need one smaller player who can hold his feet but have reasonable speed. Our top 6 opponents have more than one defensive player who is so strong through the hips/legs that they can hold their ground. We just have Weitering. That builds pressure on the side and the mix is wrong.

Not to confuse this weakness for the other one we have with HFFers, mids and wingers trailing back defensively. There are two separate problems.

Above is only my wish list. Our side still gets its chance because we have Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Charlie, Saad, Weitering and Mckay who can all win matches for us with the others contributing.

I still think it was a huge mistake to drop Kempy. Huge mistake. He must come back in next week and stay in. Along with Gov.

Young and Fanta exiled to the twos until they can prove they are worthy of a spot - Young seems far too contact averse and Fanta just can't get near it atm.

And is it just me or does Charlie just seem to go to pieces in the big games? From the little I've seen (I was at work during the game) and from what I've read, He was terrible. This loss really hurts bad. Especially to the Pies. I texted my little brother - who lives in Melbourne and is a fully paid up Melbourne Nut / Supporter - that his mob must be absolutely licking their lips at the prospect of playing us next Thursday. Bad enough that after tonight I have to cop my Collingwood mate in my face for the next week but to add my little brother to that if we lose Thursday....would be bloody unbearable.

Absolutely love this club and always will but it's so damn tough sometimes when we play like we did tonight.

Vossy: Marshall the troops for a Thursday night 4 point exorcism.

This.

At the start of the year, I actually disagreed with everyone's predictions and thought we would just miss finals, forcing Voss to realize that the gameplan and list balance has some big problems that need addressing.

I know we've got a big injury list but I'm still leaning towards that outcome being a strong possibility, although we have matched it closely with some of the best, so I hope I'm wrong.
Despite tonight, we're still way too good to miss the 8. We will improve. In the next month potentially Marto, Jesse, Saady, Marchy and Gov all come back. That will propel us big time towards September and, if we can have a decent run with injuries, there's no reason we can't still get inside that top 4 and stay there. Keep the Faith brother.

Feels like we’ve seen four or five different versions of this team which makes it seem like the gameplan is being made up as we go. Ideally, you’d want to be able play in a manner befitting the moment/team, but the styles are too different to think that’s what happening.

Injuries playing a part, but they need to figure out this stuff pretty quickly.

With us all wanting #17 so badly…

Maybe we’ve been oblivious to the possibility, a top 5-8 team is our ceiling ATM…

The way we are playing currently - definitely and would be lucky to make the 8 unless we begin playing better.

Last year at this same point we were 4-3-1, only half a game better off than this year and there are a fair few similarities.

A) winning early games in spite of not playing overly well

B) most of us thinking this was a good sign as imagine what it will be like when we actually do begin to play better

C) we don’t end up playing better and begin losing games

Last year was more slow stodgy ball movement and we ended up this stagnant mess which couldn’t score. This year we are trying something different, being faster with ball movement and improving our transition game, but now we are too easy to score against, so looks again like a teething issue with the game style.

Geez. Punches thrown in our bay tonight between Carlton and Collingwood supporters. Absolutely not on. It’s fine to be passionate.. but at the end of the day, it’s a game. Hate to see that behaviour. In the grand scheme of things, that’s is absolutely not worth it
Parden the interruption. Sorry to hear that. Its embarrassing for both sides to see that sort of rubbish happening, I hate Carlton as much as any Pies man should, but I will sit next to anyone at the footy and show respect. As you say, its only a game. There is much more important s**t going on in life in the grand scheme of things.

Another poor effort, only getting our game going in fits and starts. Poor team defence. Poor decision making. McRae had a plan and he outcoached Voss tonight.

We have Melbourne and Sydney ahead. Our season is on a knife edge.
It most certainly is on a knife's edge, so we better wake up fast.

Back