Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe all the players should have a video of the last 3 minutes of this match put on their mobile phone,including Vossy!
It seemed to help Weiters,it may help others for next time we meet the Pies.
We need all the help we can get when it comes to playing big rival teams in big games.
So flat again after the loss tonight.

Looked much better when hewett was in the middle. Thought in the 2nd half hewett spent too long on the pine. Need more balance with hewett playing the defensive mid role, yes daicos still chopped him but at least daicos had someone on him.

Crippa, Walsh and Cerra too attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Heads up fellas. Played great v the Premiers. That performance would have beaten every other team last night. Carlton are there. You are there. Proven you are capable of challenging for the flag. So different from just 18 months ago.

It was a close loss. But wow, how good is Carlton now!!?? Very exciting time for the blues faithful!

Not going to sugar-coated it.
After quarter time, we were rubbish. Macrae had a plan to minimise the impact of walsh and Cripps by using blockers at stoppages and it worked. Voss had no answer for it.
De koning needs to learn how to kick straight coz his misses are a momentum killer.
Orazio just need to go away for an extended break and durdin , for someone to have zero, niet, nothing, no score involvements as a forward is really concerning. Even when Curnow was involved in wrestlemania, durdin should be at the bottom of that impact area . He was a ghost

I mean it in the sense of he'll gravitate to the ball isntead of anticipate the drop or next possession. You can see it in the daicos winning goal. They're next to each other and there's a fumbly contest so Walsh sucks towards it slightly and daicos stays outside. Of course there's luck in it but Walsh didn't need to suck in watching the ball. He had to stay man conscious. He wasn't.
Agree, the mindset needs to be different when you are in D50 compared to F50 or middle of the ground.

Walsh needed to be thinking defensively in that situation, especially when you are responsible for the most dangerous guy in the area.

Shout out, once again to JW.

Massacred Mihocek & busted his arse to keep a wobbly back 6 together.
Weiters didn't intercept last night, was their evil plan simply for Mihocek(decoy) to drag him away from the contest at every opportunity?
Where were our marking options when attempting to transition when we were trapped in defence in the second half?
It felt like they had their foot on our defender's throats who were unable to escape.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a sense we dont have a lot of on-field leadership/ tactical nous. We have some pretty poor decision makers but we definitely have the talent to be a contending side. It will be interesting to see if Voss can unlock the talent we have.
Cripps, weitering are great leaders

Gameplans that nullify our clearance advantage are working. Cats and Pies...even Crows muck us up by making our clearances messy or ineffective.

If they have the pace and rebound to hurt us we lose.

Not sure if this is fixed by getting gov and saad back.

I am over our poor small forward cohort though. Owies, Durdin and especially Fantasia are absolutely a liability as a cohort.

Im hopeful Fog Martin and Motlop make a difference here, but who knows how theyll be after long injuries.

Really frustrating.

Well coached vs poorly coached

Another year of the premiership window going to waste with a proven failed coach

I remember watching a video of him when he first came on board and he mentioned something along the lines of the players know the list the best so they will help determine how the team plays.

At the time I thought WTF.

You're the coach, the players should have no say in how systems and game plans are implemented.

Maybe this explains why we seem to have no plan B. Players can only play one way.

I remember watching a video of him when he first came on board and he mentioned something along the lines of the players know the list the best so they will help determine how the team plays.

At the time I thought WTF.

You're the coach, the players should have no say in how systems and game plans are implemented.

Maybe this explains why we seem to have no plan B. Players can only play one way.
That's literally what Geelong did in 2022. Scott got the leaders into a meeting and asked how they wanted to play

Back