Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Wes Lofts was the Tom Hagen to George Harris (Don Corleone).

;)

That's an interesting comparison. I think you are saying that Loftsy was the brains behind a lot of the machinations of the club after retirement...

On page 78 of Dan Eddy's book, Larrikins and Legends, he refers to Lofts making the move of putting Harmes into the centre in the 1979 GF. Just that one move was enough for him to be thought of fondly by all Blues supporters. "Wes Lofts made the move and Jezza didn't want to go at first," Fitzpatrick is quoted as saying in the book.

That's an interesting comparison. I think you are saying that Loftsy was the brains behind a lot of the machinations of the club after retirement...

On page 78 of Dan Eddy's book, Larrikins and Legends, he refers to Lofts making the move of putting Harmes into the centre in the 1979 GF. Just that one move was enough for him to be thought of fondly by all Blues supporters. "Wes Lofts made the move and Jezza didn't want to go at first," Fitzpatrick is quoted as saying in the book.

I also believe Lofts was instrumental in getting Ian Rice to the club as President after the Harris/Jezza bust up in during the 79/80 off season, during the early 80's Rice oversaw the administration/financial side of the club whilst Lofts oversaw the football operations, which Lofts continued to look to do even when John Elliott took over as President in 1983.

Robertio, Thylacine & Arr0w, You shouldn't mention Wayne Harmes as he is still my favourite player even after all these years, and you have forced

me to waffle on about him.

From my viewpoint, I have never seen a player who had ever facet of the game covered like Harmes.

Tackling - He tackled Gary Ayres and threw him to the ground with contempt in the 1982 qualifying final. Ayres was not a small player. Can you

remember another player doing this to Gary Ayres?

High marking - his mark in the centre square of the 1981 g/f or the boundary line one vs South in 1979.

Long kicking - there hasn't been a more stylish long kick (in my opinion) than Harmes. It was all style but at the same time he put a hell of a lot of

power into his kicks. Sometimes it looked like he wanted to pop the bladder of the ball. 1979 vs South - he kicked a drop punt from within the centre

square than went through for a goal.

Handpassing - 1986 vs Essendon at the MCG. They have footage of it on The Front Bar.... "You see Tommy Alvin 60 metres away, run for this

Tommy, run!" said Dave Hughes. "That was unbelievable," said Mick Molloy. It wasn't 60 metres, but at least a 30-metre handpass. It was every bit

as good as Polly Farmer's handpass in the 1967 GF.

taking on a legend in the finals

Harmes had the job on Kevin Bartlett in the 1982 GF. It was the first time two Norm Smith medallists went head to head. The battle of the 1979

Norm Smith medallist vs the 1980 Norm Smith medallist. And it was the first time that I can think of that Bartlett was beaten in a final against

Carlton.

goal blitz - kicked four goals in eight minutes vs Hawthorn in the 1982 qualifying final.

speed - could outrun nearly anyone of his era.

Breaking tackles - as seen in the Front Bar footage, he beat 3-4 Essendon tacklers.

If you know of ANY player from any team who could match this combination, let me know. I originally thought Stuart Dew was the most similar to Harmes. He was bulky, could break tackles, had a good record in finals, kicked a bag quickly in the GF for Hawthorn & he kicked the ball with style...but that is the only player that I could think of that came remotely close to Harmes. (By "remotely", I mean was at least half as good as Harmes.)

Robertio, Thylacine & Arr0w, You shouldn't mention Wayne Harmes as he is still my favourite player even after all these years, and you have forced

From my viewpoint, I have never seen a player who had ever facet of the game covered like Harmes.

Tackling - He tackled Gary Ayres and threw him to the ground with contempt in the 1982 qualifying final. Ayres was not a small player. Can you

High marking - his mark in the centre square of the 1981 g/f or the boundary line one vs South in 1979.

Long kicking - there hasn't been a more stylish long kick (in my opinion) than Harmes. It was all style but at the same time he put a hell of a lot of

power into his kicks. Sometimes it looked like he wanted to pop the bladder of the ball. 1979 vs South - he kicked a drop punt from within the centre

Handpassing - 1986 vs Essendon at the MCG. They have footage of it on The Front Bar.... "You see Tommy Alvin 60 metres away, run for this

Tommy, run!" said Dave Hughes. "That was unbelievable," said Mick Molloy. It wasn't 60 metres, but at least a 30-metre handpass. It was every bit

Harmes had the job on Kevin Bartlett in the 1982 GF. It was the first time two Norm Smith medallists went head to head. The battle of the 1979

Norm Smith medallist vs the 1980 Norm Smith medallist. And it was the first time that I can think of that Bartlett was beaten in a final against

Carlton.

goal blitz - kicked four goals in eight minutes vs Hawthorn in the 1982 qualifying final.

Breaking tackles - as seen in the Front Bar footage, he beat 3-4 Essendon tacklers.

If you know of ANY player from any team who could match this combination, let me know. I originally thought Stuart Dew was the most similar to Harmes. He was bulky, could break tackles, had a good record in finals, kicked a bag quickly in the GF for Hawthorn & he kicked the ball with style...but that is the only player that I could think of that came remotely close to Harmes. (By "remotely", I mean was at least half as good as Harmes.)

That 1982 Qualifying Final was an unbelievable 3rd quarter performance by both Harmes (his boundary line snap goal was sublime) - and Carlton’s 8 goals came mainly after the 20 minute mark - it was a typical Carlton premiership quarter blitzkreig.

:thumbsu:

I have a vague recollection of Bill Bennett later playing in a league near Vic/SA border and leaving to go to a SA club later causing a kerfuffle about not getting a clearance.

Also Brian Kekovich had trouble getting a clearance from Myrtleford and had to play on match permits. He later decided that he wanted to join his brothers at North and put in for a clearance after training one night. He was cleared eventually but had a back injury and never played for North.

Not sure what year it was but Sid Jackson had to sit out a full year because he couldn't get a clearance from WA.
Bill Bennett moved to Darwin in the early 1070's and played for St Marys after a few years at South Adelaide. Later on he coached Nightcliff in NTFL then West Alice Springs in CAFL where he coached them to their first ever premiership.

Received this magnificent book for my birthday last week after my wife and a friend tracked down a copy. Very enjoyable reading.
Blues177,

Did you have a favourite photo from the book?
My aim was to try to at least get some grand final photos and some rare photos....so I hope that comes across for anyone who purchased the book.

Cheers.

Bill Bennett moved to Darwin in the early 1070's and played for St Marys after a few years at South Adelaide. Later on he coached Nightcliff in NTFL then West Alice Springs in CAFL where he coached them to their first ever premiership.
We might have to check with Thy about the comings and goings in the 1070's. Just before my time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues177,

Did you have a favourite photo from the book?
My aim was to try to at least get some grand final photos and some rare photos....so I hope that comes across for anyone who purchased the book.

Cheers.

Jesaulenko is my all time favourite player. My favourite photo is the training photo on page 75 of Jezza sidestepping with the ball in his right hand.

The photo on page 26 is the first time I have ever seen a photo of Jezza pre Carlton days, in an Eastlake jumper.

The photo on page 266, late in the grand final with about 2 minutes to go. The score is on the fence in the background, Carl 55 - Ess 53. The look of despair on Wes Lofts face when he was standing on the mark when Blethyn was about to shoot for goal from a difficult angle but a very gettable distance. Can you imagine how stressed Lofts was! Then the next page a photo of an elated Wes celebrating after the game with the players. Also celebrating in that photo in non playing gear is Syd Jackson who couldn't get a clearance from WA and was a runner that season.

Great to see several photos of Barassi playing for us. Classic Barassi determined look when he tackled the Footscray player, page 153.

Fantastic book!

I will most probably buy the book - sounds like it will be a good read - pictures should be good also - and i hope you dont mind me contributing to the thread

But i did go to the 68 GF i was only young - and i also went to all 4 finals in the 70 series

And i only give honest opinions - not sugar coated rubbish

Its amazing how your memory works for any experience - but the 68 GF it was close - but very average - very dour game - the 2 things which stick in my memory - were where we were seated - hff Punt rd end Members side - and way up high - incredible - it was like we were sitting on the top of a sky scraper building - and open to the elements . The 2nd thing i can remember - and i can picture this now - about 3-4 minutes after the game - a couple of Ess trainers - lifted up and carried on their shoulders Ken Fraser the Ess capt - for a lap around the boundary line - so their supporters could give him a bit of a clap - he didnt play - he badly hurt his knee the week before - he couldnt walk - but i can still picture that now

As to 1970 - that was far more exciting - and in my view re the whole final series - a book on that would be more exciting than 68

Ok the GF - has been done to death - everyone has seen it 100 times - my only comment - Coll should have been 12-14 goals in front at h/t with reasonably accurate kicking but they werrnt

However the 1970 Second semi - and to be perfectly honest - i think both the Carlton and Coll historian/librarian whatever are both asleep at the wheel - because that 2nd semi was a fantastic game - excitement plus - and i rate it - in probably the best 3 games i have ever been to . From memory it was about 17 goals to 16 - Coll by about 8-10 pts - so that suggested there wasnt much between the 2 teams . Peter McKenna kicked 9 i think and Alex Jesaulenko kicked 8 - plus the Lee Adamson - Syd Jackson incident . So that sensational 2nd semi wetted the apetite for the rematch in 2 weeks ( Carl easily beat StK in the PF - just as Stk had done to Sth Melb in the 1st semi )

However much to my angst - they havent shown that 2nd semi - no vision has been shown - and alot of football supporters/followerrs are missing out on a great game

And there is vision available - and why i say that - on the Geel board this year - ( it may have been the non Geel thread - but i dont think it was ) someone put up for some reason ( maybe Full forwards were being mentioned ) Peter McKenna - Part 1 - of the highlights of his career - so i decided to watch it

And what i quickly realised watching it - was there was quite a bit of vision from that 2nd semi - where he kicked the 9 goals

And what i noticed from a Carlton perspective - was Wes Lofts who was a good FB - probably played for Victoria -but im pretty sure he wasnt injured - i just think Barassi just sacked him from the Carlton side because he couldnt handle McKenna - and of course it was no problem for Barassi to make big/gutsy decisions like that - so Wes Lofts didnt play in the 70 series

But what i noticed - in that 2nd semi John Gould the hbflanker - he played FB on McKenna - but no joy - because he had the 9 goals kicked against him

And in the GF Barassi put Kevin Hall who was a mobile tall utility type player at FB on McKenna

So there are just a few views on 68 and 70 - and it would be great - if someone got/obtained vision of the whole game of that 2nd Semi Final
Wes Lofts lost all credibility 12 months earlier in the 69 Grand Final when Bill Barrett kicked 8 goals on him ... Mostly in the second half with 4 goals in the last quarter when Richmond put Carlton to the sword.... Lofts just couldn't handle the pace and that then became Wes's Achilles heel.... Ron Barassi do not trust him during that entire 1970 season particularly against players with any pace on the lead I.e. Peter McKenna

Wes Lofts lost all credibility 12 months earlier in the 69 Grand Final when Bill Barrett kicked 8 goals on him ... Mostly in the second half with 4 goals in the last quarter when Richmond put Carlton to the sword.... Lofts just couldn't handle the pace and that then became Wes's Achilles heel.... Ron Barassi do not trust him during that entire 1970 season particularly against players with any pace on the lead I.e. Peter McKenna

It’s funny one with Lofts, he played the H&A season, then was he dropped or injured??

…..& who played on McKenna in the 2nd Semi???

Carlton.

IMO Harmes 2nd best backpocket I have seen behind Wanganeen. Best Mark for his size I have seen. A backpocket who could change a game....One of the most underated footballers in the last 50 years. Not out of place in a backpocket in AFLs best ever team.

Carlton.

Hey Miles,

I played a season of superules in 1995 which I enjoyed as we played against many ex AFL players at reasonable grounds like Victoria Patk and Skinner reserve.

One day we were playing against Oak Park (I think) who had quite a few ex AFL players including Harmesy. Our ground was known to be windy and cold and on this day really muddy. Harmesy rocks up with a T shirt, shorts and thongs on a day that was about 6 degrees. Goals were at a premium and the ball weighed a ton. Still remember organising the defence when he had a shot from 50+ out and saying "I'll cover the line" as it sailed over my head for a goal.

Good bloke and stayed for a few afterwards.

There was a rumour that he was a Tigers supporter and continued to barrack for them after playing for the Blues but hoping that was incorrect.

Carlton.

Testament to how good Harmes was, is the Front Bar hosts can not pinpoint a modern player like him.

Carlton.

Guy was a freak, would still be a star in today's game

Bamboo Harvester could tell you a few stories from his days outside the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back