Club History Barassi's Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Miles Wilks

Rookie
Sep 25, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Big Footy Carlton supporters,

This is a post to let you know that a new book on how Ron Barassi guided Carlton to premiership success in 1968 has been released. It is available at Dymocks, Collins Bookstores, Readings, Booktopia and most independent outlets.

The initial aim of this book was to accrue images and career details of Carlton's full-forward, Brian Kekovich, as I found it strange that there were almost no photographs left of the player who kicked four goals in the 1968 Grand Final.

Then as things developed I looked at other aspects and interviewed various players including Garry Crane, John Goold and Bryan Quirk amongst others. In the podcast thread below, there is a link to the Carlton historian Tony De Bolfo's great interview with Brian Kekovich which outlines Keka's battle with injuries amongst other details. Anyway, the book has over 170 images and many unseen photos of Keka/Big Nick/Jezza and others in action steering Carlton towards premiership success in 1968.

I will be setting up a promotion later on this thread where some Bluebagger will win a free copy of the book. Will reply a bit later.

1664573372078.png

I was there and I remember this game as being a very tricky & windy day and goals were hard to kick. Geoff Blethyn (wearing glasses) was their FF and had an fairly good day in front of the big sticks. I think we are the only AFL Grand Final winning team kicking less goals than our opponent.

Last edited:
I was there as well. Very windy but just a couple of interesting snippets:

Brian Kekovich had an amazing stat in 1968. Carlton won every game he played in and lost the 5 games that he didn't play in (injured).

Geoff Blethyn kicked 4 out of essendons 8 goals. One of the last to wear glasses (pre mason cox) he was the one that looked like he might get them home. I had a bit to do with him about 7 years ago when working for a large bank- he was a mortgage broker in S A.

Wasn't a game for the purists but a rare grand final where the team that kicked the most goals didn't win.

Also we beat essendon (pre * days) in a close grand final. Can't get much better than that.

I was there as well. Very windy but just a couple of interesting snippets:

Brian Kekovich had an amazing stat in 1968. Carlton won every game he played in and lost the 5 games that he didn't play in (injured).

Geoff Blethyn kicked 4 out of essendons 8 goals. One of the last to wear glasses (pre mason cox) he was the one that looked like he might get them home. I had a bit to do with him about 7 years ago when working for a large bank- he was a mortgage broker in S A.

Wasn't a game for the purists but a rare grand final where the team that kicked the most goals didn't win.

Also we beat essendon (pre * days) in a close grand final. Can't get much better than that.

The 1968 GF has the reputation of being a poor grand final due to the low scoring, but there were many memorable moments in the last quarter that added to the tension. There was Crosswell's snap shot that seemed to bounce on the goal line and then bounce out, Jones' shot at goal, Kekovich trying a banana kick from an odd angle...and as you mentioned Blethyn was a big goal scorer for them that day. He had a shot from near the boundary within the last five minutes.

The last quarter had everything. Well worth it just for that quarter of action alone. The match needs to be re-examined (in my opinion) and thought of as a great contest. Hopefully this book starts the process of redeeming the GF.

Fair call. 1968 probably suffered a bit in retrospect because 1970 was so thrilling and 1972 was such a pure fame of football.

I was pretty young so only fairly general memories. I do have the 1968 3KZ is football vinyl album of the call for memories sake although it hasn't been played for quite some time.

Fair call. 1968 probably suffered a bit in retrospect because 1970 was so thrilling and 1972 was such a pure fame of football.

I was pretty young so only fairly general memories. I do have the 1968 3KZ is football vinyl album of the call for memories sake although it hasn't been played for quite some time.
You should contact Blueseum, I don't think they have a copy or link to that 1968 recording. I believe they have the 3KZ recordings of 1970 and 1972 GFs.
www.blueseum.org

The guy that always interests me was the Centre Half Forward, Bill Bennett.

From what I can glean, he came to us from the Maffra on match permits in ‘66, played his half dozen or so games, then when straight back to the bush.

Stayed bush for the whole of ‘67, then RDB gets him back to the big smoke, picks him no matter how unfit/injured he was & plays in the premiership in his 11th game!

Not only that, a week later he plays in the Australian Championship side (Carlton beat Sturt at AO), then he leaves Carlton for good.

20 years old, premiership under his belt & he’s done.

Last edited:
The guy that always interests me was the Centre Half Forward, Bill Bennett.

From what I can glean, he came to us from the Maffra on match permits in ‘66, played his half dozen or so games, then when straight back to the bush.

Stayed bush for the whole of ‘67, then RDB gets him back to the big smoke, picks him no matter how unfit/injured he was & plays in the premiership in his 11th game!

Not only that, a week later he plays in the Australian Championship side (Carlton beat Sturt at AO), then he leaves Carlton for good.

20 years old, premiership under his belt & he’s done.

That's a good insight into his career, Stig.

Yeah, I think he played better in that Australian Championship side against Sturt than in the GF. He carried an injury into both finals and in the newspapers prior to the GF they warned Barassi not to take so many injured players into the match. It was a risk, but CHF was the greatest weak spot in that Carlton team. The exact moment Barassi takes him off in the last quarter you can see in the footage...it is obvious why he took him off, he could barely run.

There are two or three action photos of Bennett in the book. I don't think I have seen many photos of him in other books.

That's a good insight into his career, Stig.

Yeah, I think he played better in that Australian Championship side against Sturt than in the GF. He carried an injury into both finals and in the newspapers prior to the GF they warned Barassi not to take so many injured players into the match. It was a risk, but CHF was the greatest weak spot in that Carlton team. The exact moment Barassi takes him off in the last quarter you can see in the footage...it is obvious why he took him off, he could barely run.

There are two or three action photos of Bennett in the book. I don't think I have seen many photos of him in other books.
I have a vague recollection of Bill Bennett later playing in a league near Vic/SA border and leaving to go to a SA club later causing a kerfuffle about not getting a clearance.

Also Brian Kekovich had trouble getting a clearance from Myrtleford and had to play on match permits. He later decided that he wanted to join his brothers at North and put in for a clearance after training one night. He was cleared eventually but had a back injury and never played for North.

Not sure what year it was but Sid Jackson had to sit out a full year because he couldn't get a clearance from WA.

Not sure what year it was but Sid Jackson had to sit out a full year because he couldn't get a clearance from WA.

1968 was the year Syd had to sit out and he was actually the runner that year. In the following clip you can see Syd in non playing gear celebrating the '68 flag win with the players and Barassi.

Ok, Carlton people. The competition for a free copy of the $34.95 book Barassi's Blues is the following:

Provide a recollection of anything to do with the teams Barassi coached between 1965 and 1971. It could be a personal recollection or even a recollection of one of your parents meeting one of the players from this period. It could be something to do with memorabilia. Maybe you kept a record or a photo of the times. Or perhaps you met one of the players from this period later at a country football match or at a function.

I was a bit too young to be at the 1970 GF myself, but I remember my dad stating that he stood in the outer at the GF and a Collingwood supporting priest was standing next to him and got on his knees and said, "God, give them strength." The way my dad told it really impacted on me. He also believed that Collingwood was a dirty team and that opinion remained consistent no matter what era it was- 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, etc. His belief was that Collingwood didn't exactly play within the rules of the game, but he put in more colourful language.

BigFrizz a few posts back stated he had a copy of the 3KZ vinyl record of the game. If he has an image of that record to post that could be enough to get you over the line if you can provide a couple of fond memories from this time. Who was your favourite player from this period and why? Think about anything to do with Carlton between 1965 and 1971 and it could be good enough. If there are two really good entries, I might give away two books.

I was in the process of completing the collection of Carlton Premiership Weg posters in the early 2000's. I was able to order the 1968 poster with Ron Barassi's image emblazoned across it through Gardenvale Collectables. On the day I picked it up I'm proudly walking out the door and who do you think is entering the shop at that moment ....none other than Ronald Dale Barassi !

Attachments

• CARLTON WEG POSTER 1968.jpg
    CARLTON WEG POSTER 1968.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 55
Back in ‘81 after College finished I worked for RDB.

He’d created a company Barassi Sporting Enterprises & was there as a gopher.

He was one of, if not the first to have sports personalities for promotions/Sportsman’s Nights trading off their celebrity, so he had guys like Crackers Keenan (who gets his own chapter), Max Walker, Cal Bruton & Jack Dyer, who did his Dyer ‘Ere column for The Truth.

Anyhoo it’s late ‘81 & RDB has gotten involved with Dennis Lillee’s Testimonial Year.

Back then the MCG wicket was a dog track, black Merri Creek mud & they’d dug up the wicket.

So RDB & his shady assistant decided to get some of this precious muck, stick it in vials, sticky tape it to a certificate along with a pewter beer coaster commemorating DKL’s stellar career.

So I come into his office on King St, go into the boardroom & there’s 3 foot thick of MCG mud on the boardroom table.

No way in the world I can do all that, so RDB seconders Crackers, me, his secretary & himself to stuff this goddawful muck into these little vials.

So I’m 16 years old, sitting there with the biggest name in Australian sport, stuffing these things like it’s afternoon arts & crafts.

You had to be there I suppose.😎👍

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quick memory for the 1970 grand final. One of the great days of my life and just the emotion of it all was like something we'll never see again - 120,000 people with grown men crying everywhere.

However my memory was my mum carrying our lunches and drinks in a foam esky (was allowed back then) all the way up to the top of the old Olympic stand only to have the handle come loose at the very top of the steps.

The look of horror on her face as drinks, fruit and food rolled all the way down the steps was heartbreaking.

Fortunately it was all forgotten by the end of the day. Her beloved blues and Vinnie Waite had won the flag in the greatest grand final of all time.

I have memories of watching the 1970 grand final with my grandmother, a die hard Collingwood supporter (so die hard, she’d been courted by Phonsie Kyn). She was quite chipper to half time. Even ohh‘ed when Jezza launched. Wasn’t quite so chipper by the end of the match.

I was 6 at the time.

Wes Lofts mark in the dying stages of the 68 GF, we were three points in front and Bethyn had kicked four when the ball came to them, Blethyn was in front but Lofts held his ground. Some say it was in the back but in my eyes it was a premiership mark.

I was in the process of completing the collection of Carlton Premiership Weg posters in the early 2000's. I was able to order the 1968 poster with Ron Barassi's image emblazoned across it through Gardenvale Collectables. On the day I picked it up I'm proudly walking out the door and who do you think is entering the shop at that moment ....none other than Ronald Dale Barassi !

Hi Incaciawin,

Did you say anything to RDB? I wonder what he was after in the store...hopefully not the last 1968 Weg poster!!

Do you have a favourite Carlton player from the Barassi Era?

Back in ‘81 after College finished I worked for RDB.

He’d created a company Barassi Sporting Enterprises & was there as a gopher.

He was one of, if not the first to have sports personalities for promotions/Sportsman’s Nights trading off their celebrity, so he had guys like Crackers Keenan (who gets his own chapter), Max Walker, Cal Bruton & Jack Dyer, who did his Dyer ‘Ere column for The Truth.

Anyhoo it’s late ‘81 & RDB has gotten involved with Dennis Lillee’s Testimonial Year.

Back then the MCG wicket was a dog track, black Merri Creek mud & they’d dug up the wicket.

So RDB & his shady assistant decided to get some of this precious muck, stick it in vials, sticky tape it to a certificate along with a pewter beer coaster commemorating DKL’s stellar career.

So I come into his office on King St, go into the boardroom & there’s 3 foot thick of MCG mud on the boardroom table.

No way in the world I can do all that, so RDB seconders Crackers, me, his secretary & himself to stuff this goddawful muck into these little vials.

So I’m 16 years old, sitting there with the biggest name in Australian sport, stuffing these things like it’s afternoon arts & crafts.

You had to be there I suppose.😎👍

Hi Stig,

I think you have won yourself one of the books! Interesting story. How much were those vials selling for?

Also, what were your recollections of Crackers and RDB?

Do you have a favourite Carlton player from the Barassi Era...is there a reason why he was your favourite?

A quick memory for the 1970 grand final. One of the great days of my life and just the emotion of it all was like something we'll never see again - 120,000 people with grown men crying everywhere.

However my memory was my mum carrying our lunches and drinks in a foam esky (was allowed back then) all the way up to the top of the old Olympic stand only to have the handle come loose at the very top of the steps.

The look of horror on her face as drinks, fruit and food rolled all the way down the steps was heartbreaking.

Fortunately it was all forgotten by the end of the day. Her beloved blues and Vinnie Waite had won the flag in the greatest grand final of all time.
Nice piece, BigFrizz! I think you will be the 2nd winner of the book. I will contact you later to organise the mailing.

Can you just do me one favour - who was your favourite Carlton player of that era and why? Or perhaps you would prefer to nominate your top 3 in order?

BTW, I can visualise your scenario with the drinks and the esky. Also the long wooden seats. That situation of being at the top of the Olympic Stand I can empathise with. I was at the top of the Olympic for the 1999 GF. A painful memory... An old lady Collingwood supporter, one of those umbrella carrying types, sat next to me and said, "Bloo%*y Silvagni. He's got his arms right around him...blo&%y octopus" etc. I think on reflection she was barracking for North in that match.

Hi Incaciawin,

Did you say anything to RDB? I wonder what he was after in the store...hopefully not the last 1968 Weg poster!!

Do you have a favourite Carlton player from the Barassi Era?
I think I was too stunned to say anything.... It felt so surreal.

I was 6yo in 1968. My dad went to the game. Then in 1970 even my dad couldn't get a ticket. We listened on the radio. At half time my dad and my older brother and I had had enough and went down to the local park to kick the footy around. We were walking home and overheard someone's wireless saying that Carlton were back within 3-4 goals. We sprinted the rest of the way home.. ...and the rest is history !
From 1972 on I've been lucky enough to watch every Carlton Grand Final live.
There are so many players from the Barassi era that I remember with fondness. The centreline of Gary Crane, Ian Robertson and Bryan Quirk was special.
Brent Crosswell was only a teenager in 1968 !
I was fortunate to have a coffee with Ted Hopkins 7-8 years ago when he was involved with analytics and TedSport.

Nice piece, BigFrizz! I think you will be the 2nd winner of the book. I will contact you later to organise the mailing.

Can you just do me one favour - who was your favourite Carlton player of that era and why? Or perhaps you would prefer to nominate your top 3 in order?

BTW, I can visualise your scenario with the drinks and the esky. Also the long wooden seats. That situation of being at the top of the Olympic Stand I can empathise with. I was at the top of the Olympic for the 1999 GF. A painful memory... An old lady Collingwood supporter, one of those umbrella carrying types, sat next to me and said, "Bloo%*y Silvagni. He's got his arms right around him...blo&%y octopus" etc. I think on reflection she was barracking for North in that match.
I must have had a thing for lightly framed wingers because my first number on the back was the 39 of Cliffy Stewart and from there I moved on to the number 6 of Gary Crane.

Our families pride and joy back then was a copy of "The carlton story" published in 1958. Mike Williamson had a holiday house in Tarwin Lower we we lived at that time. Ron Barassi bought the team down for a training camp in January 1966 and I took the book around and get the squad to sign it. There are about 50 signatures (looks like teddy Hopkins x 2). Some are easily read like A. Lukamitis, John Warden, Barry Armstrong, Peter Kerr, David McKay, Greg Boxall, Teddy Hopkins, Alex Jesaukenko, Bryan Quirk, Bill Bennett, Denis Munari, Doug Baird, Mark Amos, Gordon Casey, Noel bishop, Peter Jones, Neil Chandler, Peter Kerr, Brian Kekovich, Vin Waite, Rob Walls, Garry Crane, Bob Edmond, Barry Gill, Ian Robertson, Kevin Hall, plenty of others that I can't read. Still has pride of place in the bookcase

I ordered a 68 one for my dad years ago and the caricature on it was Brian Kekovich ?

I must have had a thing for lightly framed wingers because my first number on the back was the 39 of Cliffy Stewart and from there I moved on to the number 6 of Gary Crane.

Our families pride and joy back then was a copy of "The carlton story" published in 1958. Mike Williamson had a holiday house in Tarwin Lower we we lived at that time. Ron Barassi bought the team down for a training camp in January 1966 and I took the book around and get the squad to sign it. There are about 50 signatures (looks like teddy Hopkins x 2). Some are easily read like A. Lukamitis, John Warden, Barry Armstrong, Peter Kerr, David McKay, Greg Boxall, Teddy Hopkins, Alex Jesaukenko, Bryan Quirk, Bill Bennett, Denis Munari, Doug Baird, Mark Amos, Gordon Casey, Noel bishop, Peter Jones, Neil Chandler, Peter Kerr, Brian Kekovich, Vin Waite, Rob Walls, Garry Crane, Bob Edmond, Barry Gill, Ian Robertson, Kevin Hall, plenty of others that I can't read. Still has pride of place in the bookcase
They are good choices. Crane and Stewart had a lot of courage. There is a quote in the book from Robert Walls about Gary Crane. I went with the traditional spelling of "Gary" by the way in the book, but I think he prefers "Garry".

Anyway, the quote from Walls is: "I reckon I played with and coached only two players who were totally fearless, players who passed the courage test on every occasion. They were Gary Crane and Ken Hunter. Both unhesitatingly and unflinchingly went for the dangerous ball when it was their turn to go."

The improvement Carlton got out of Crane from 1967 to '68 was immense.

I ordered a 68 one for my dad years ago and the caricature on it was Brian Kekovich ?

If it is the traditional WEG poster, there was one done of Ron Barassi and one later of Serg. It depends which one you are looking at. This one below is Barassi...not the most flattering representation.

That's the thing though...there are so few images of Kekovich in circulation that many people don't know what he looked like. This book hopefully redresses that to some extent.

Carlton%20Poster%20Promo.jpg

They are good choices. Crane and Stewart had a lot of courage. There is a quote in the book from Robert Walls about Gary Crane. I went with the traditional spelling of "Gary" by the way in the book, but I think he prefers "Garry".

Anyway, the quote from Walls is: "I reckon I played with and coached only two players who were totally fearless, players who passed the courage test on every occasion. They were Gary Crane and Ken Hunter. Both unhesitatingly and unflinchingly went for the dangerous ball when it was their turn to go."

The improvement Carlton got out of Crane from 1967 to '68 was immense.
Strangely i was thinking about whether it was Gary or Garry last night as I always assumed that it was Gary.

He definitely signed his name as Garry back in the 60's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back