Does it take too long for clubs to rebuild their lists?

Should the AFL system be tweaked to facilitate faster rebuilding of lists?

• Yes

Votes: 102 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 164 61.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not really sure what the AFL system could do to facilitate a rebuild quicker. We have the draft system that clearly offers plenty of opportunities to get your list topped up with enough youth. At that point it really comes down to development from within clubs as one factor to promote their young players. You need a mix of 23-28 year olds who have been in the system for 5-10 years who have had exposure to the system and can make the bulk of your list you should rely on.

You’re then putting young developing players at one end and experienced vets at the other. Within the main group you need balance. Height, inside and outside players etc. There’s obviously more to it of course, and you need total buy in that the group wants to go somewhere etc. I think if WA and SA players are struggling to retain talent then they need to draft locally, for example we’ve lost Jackson and we may lose Pickett. That’s natural attrition but can hurt.

Many clubs have bought the negativity and flat periods on themselves. Melbourne and Carlton spring to mind. Tanking, poor governance etc. Also, good changes in coaching have buoyed clubs like St Kilda to start improving rapidly. Adelaide are a club that looks to have recruited well and developed well. Fogarty (local) Rankine (traded) are home grown products. Rachele is one they need to keep and you can’t do much if he wants out. Mind you, I think the go home to family is a bit pathetic.

Some clubs just continue to stay in contention, Geelong, Sydney. There’s clearly no concept of rebuilding there. It’s just topping up the list constantly. The development is also sensational. GC is a fair mess but I think that’s their own doing. Good to see Essendon showing more now. Again, it’s coaching. It sounds obvious but coaching is underrated; Lyon and Scott are making things happen and Nicks is seeing the benefit of a developing list and persistence with a style that’s taken a few years to get right.

I am not really sure what the AFL system could do to facilitate a rebuild quicker. We have the draft system that clearly offers plenty of opportunities to get your list topped up with enough youth. At that point it really comes down to development from within clubs as one factor to promote their young players. You need a mix of 23-28 year olds who have been in the system for 5-10 years who have had exposure to the system and can make the bulk of your list you should rely on.

You’re then putting young developing players at one end and experienced vets at the other. Within the main group you need balance. Height, inside and outside players etc. There’s obviously more to it of course, and you need total buy in that the group wants to go somewhere etc. I think if WA and SA players are struggling to retain talent then they need to draft locally, for example we’ve lost Jackson and we may lose Pickett. That’s natural attrition but can hurt.

Many clubs have bought the negativity and flat periods on themselves. Melbourne and Carlton spring to mind. Tanking, poor governance etc. Also, good changes in coaching have buoyed clubs like St Kilda to start improving rapidly. Adelaide are a club that looks to have recruited well and developed well. Fogarty (local) Rankine (traded) are home grown products. Rachele is one they need to keep and you can’t do much if he wants out. Mind you, I think the go home to family is a bit pathetic.

Some clubs just continue to stay in contention, Geelong, Sydney. There’s clearly no concept of rebuilding there. It’s just topping up the list constantly. The development is also sensational. GC is a fair mess but I think that’s their own doing. Good to see Essendon showing more now. Again, it’s coaching. It sounds obvious but coaching is underrated; Lyon and Scott are making things happen and Nicks is seeing the benefit of a developing list and persistence with a style that’s taken a few years to get right.
First 20 picks of the draft should go to the teams who miss the 8.. Finish last you get picks 1 & 11.

First 20 picks of the draft should go to the teams who miss the 8.. Finish last you get picks 1 & 11.
You may get the bizarre scenario where a team who knows they will just be making up the numbers if they scrap into the 8 to tank.

That 1 spot would be the difference between having pick 10 and 20 as your first two picks (finishing 9th) compared to pick 21 and 49 as your first two picks (finishing 8th). Which is massive difference.

You may get the bizarre scenario where a team who knows they will just be making up the numbers if they scrap into the 8 to tank.

That 1 spot would be the difference between having pick 10 and 20 as your first two picks (finishing 9th) compared to pick 21 and 49 as your first two picks (finishing 8th). Which is massive difference.
Spot on

A lot of lucks involved, you get a few good kids in the draft and away you go. Carlton took years, remember when we got Fevola and a young gun Karl Norman back in 2002, I thought we weren’t far off the mark. Bloody Pagan, Ratts, Malthouse, Bolton, how much blame can we really put on the coach? The list was shot. I’m quietly confident we will go all the way this year.

I do not believe for a second that any club would ever choose to not play finals just so they can get an extra draft pick.

A lot of lucks involved, you get a few good kids in the draft and away you go. Carlton took years, remember when we got Fevola and a young gun Karl Norman back in 2002, I thought we weren’t far off the mark. Bloody Pagan, Ratts, Malthouse, Bolton, how much blame can we really put on the coach? The list was shot. I’m quietly confident we will go all the way this year.
Lol , might want to check which account you signed into there bud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d be naive to think that, happens all the time.
Yeah nah.. give me one example?? Different finishing last instead of 2nd last but no side would ever deliberately miss finals so they can get Lochie O’Brien, Jack Bowes or Nakia Cockatoo..

Yeah nah.. give me one example?? Different finishing last instead of 2nd last but no side would ever deliberately miss finals so they can get Lochie O’Brien, Jack Bowes or Nakia Cockatoo..
Melbourne tried it, Carlton did too, it’s a strategy.

2018 - 2022 has been a hard road but many crows fans like myself in 2019 set ourselves for a period of time at the bottom with the rewards to be worth it in the mid 2020s.

That the team appears on the rise in 2023 makes it even sweeter.
Don’t get too ahead of yourself, it’s only April.

To be honest.... There's only 8 finals spots and 18 sides.

From 1995-2010, it was 8 finals spots and 16 clubs literally 50 percent chance to make finals. A non Vic club just needed 12 wins to make it. 8-10 wins at home , 2-4 away wins vs bottom 6.

From 2012 onwards, it's now 8 finals spots and 10 teams miss out. So that means top 5 picks are a premium.

So spending 5 or 6 years out side the top 8 is gonna be common.

Wait until Tassie comes in and another side comes in.

That's 8 finals spot and 12 teams miss out.

Again.... Measure your team's success over a 20 year period.

You win a flag from 2 grand finals and make finals 8 times out of 20 years, you are not under achieving or over achieving, you are on par

Back