Autopsy 2023 Rd 6 Misfiring Blues drop their bundle again

These are the answers ... what was the question again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss should give each Carlton player a copy of Collingwood's last quarter with the message - 'This is the footy you need to play to win Premierships' As much as I hate to say it _ ... they are an awesome team playing incredible footy. Carlton are so far off the standard that Collingwood plays. It pains me to say that ... only it is true.
But is the difference McRae, Bolton (!), Leppitsch & co

So far this year we have kicked 63.73. Opposition has kicked 70.68. Of the points, 20 have been rushed behinds for Carlton, and 18 for the opposition.

Of our scoring:
Charlie has 21.11
Harry has 9.8
Durdin has 6.5 (from 5 games)
Motlop has 6.1
Owies has 6.1 (from 3 games)
Jack has 5.5
Fisher has 2.1
TDK has 1.2 (from 5 games)
Ed has 1.2
Honey has 1.1 (from 3 games)
Cripps has 0.7

Six rounds in last year, we had kicked 72.63. Opposition had kicked 75.69. Of the points, 10 had been rushed behinds for Carlton, and 16 for the opposition.

So, by comparison, opposition scoring has decreased slightly, but our accuracy has been poorer this year, and the fact we have twice as many rushed behinds suggests we are not having as many cleaner scoring shots that last year.

We are definitely scrappy forward of centre and it ain't pretty viewing.

I think it's a fallacy that our small forwards apply great pressure. They also don't get enough of it. How can you kick or assist in goals if you rarely get a touch? Up until 5 minutes before 1/2 time, Mots hadn't had a possession. I know it's a difficult position to play, and the're young and still learning, and it may still come, but they don't seem to position themselves properly at the fall of the ball at forward marking contests. What about getting Eddie back down there with these guys. Whatever Hansen is instructing these smalls is not working very well. Where is the proper development and natural improvement? Oh for a player like a Kossie, or similar, but they are hard to find.
Indeed, hard to find, yet pies plucked young Bobby Hill out of G.W.S. after really not showing that much. Yes he did have some injuries and issues to deal with. Now he is absolutely flying, playing great footy for them.

I watched the game again. Two key takeaways

- plan was effective mostly other than when at kilda took the ascendancy. We panicked in the last but methodical approach was working well

- what blew it was successive goal kicking failures and goal options. The obvious ones are the misses by Cripps and McKay and sos but we also failed to give off to moving options. This is unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You are a braver man than me Sham, could not bring myself to watch that shizen again.

It's not even so much the missing of set shots...it's how it affects the rest of the side and what happens next. We're clearly a pretty mentally weak side and you can see it when Harry or SOS or Charlie miss an easy set shot, disappointment and panic seems to set in. How often do we see the 11 point turnaround...we miss an easy shot and the opposition runs it easily the length of the ground to score a goal at theirs...often from more difficult shots. It's so demoralising.

Remember when a lot of us could see it even in the games we were winning, including last year, but were criticised for trying to discuss it …
I understand that some want to skew the board to being more positive and thats fine to a point.

This I say not as a fact per se but as my personal feeling.

Penning critical commentary about the team I love and have supported for 54 years brings me NO joy.

BUT: what the coaches are doing to destroy the confidence of young players through this diabolocal game plan simply must be called out. We have the talent, resources, facilities, finances - just about every possible advantage under he sun to thrive. We fail to develop high end talent coming in.

Away from forums like this ask the average non-Carlton person what they think of our club and they all but laugh at us. There is no respect.

We need to be focused, determined, strategic, innovative, daring and ruthless. We are not.

The WORST part, you want to know who is: I absolutely hate admitting it: Collingwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had more if you count the rushed (1-3), but we actually had equal shots.

It's more that if we kicked straighter when we were well on top in the first half, the scoreboard would have changed the complexion of the game.
And then the misses in the 3rd destroyed any momentum, and allowed them to get to their winning lead.
Our ball movement is horrific. Our forward 50 entries are a laughing stock compared to pretty much any other team.

Really?

How can we blame the coaches and high performance people when our players do stupid things, can't kick properly, make silly decisions etc
No disrespect, but it’s our coaches job to make sure they don’t do s**t like that.

How long do the coaches play them without fixing those things, and if not fixable then why are they still playing??

Last edited:
I understand that some want to skew the board to being more positive and thats fine to a point.

This I say not as a fact per se but as my personal feeling.

Penning critical commentary about the team I love and have supported for 54 years brings me NO joy.

BUT: what the coaches are doing to destroy the confidence of young players through this diabolocal game plan simply must be called out. We have the talent, resources, facilities, finances - just about every possible advantage under he sun to thrive. We fail to develop high end talent coming in.

Away from forums like this ask the average non-Carlton person what they think of our club and they all but laugh at us. There is no respect.

We need to be focused, determined, strategic, innovative, daring and ruthless. We are not.

The WORST part, you want to know who is: I absolutely hate admitting it: Collingwood.
This part is true, especially if you talk up our team just a little bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are not playing good footy and seriously doubt we'll even make the Top 8 ... and even if we get lucky ... we'll only be making up the numbers. There has been no improvement over last season in the first 6 games. I reckon we were a bit better last year when we missed out. Carlton will finish 10th, 11th or 12th. Get your head around that.... and then shed a few tears, like me.

Carlton are not playing good footy and seriously doubt we'll even make the Top 8 ... and even if we get lucky ... we'll only be making up the numbers. There has been no improvement over last season in the first 6 games. I reckon we were a bit better last year when we missed out. Carlton will finish 10th, 11th or 12th. Get your head around that.... and then shed a few tears, like me.
Seriously..................

Not having a go but, why do you watch it then and comment, if its all so bad?

Fair question I reckon. Not only to you of course.
You’re welcome to ask.

The same reason you watch it mate. Can’t abandon them after 35 years because we have been s**t for 20.

Would be nice to roll up tomorrow and truly be a Collingwood supporter but as you know it doesn’t work like that

I'm referencing the whole year Stamos. The St Kilda game was ridiculous- the midfield combined to absolutely smash St Kilda - winning enough ball to have the game over by half time - instead Carlton goes in with a 2 point lead. Enough is enough referencing game style or blaming mids - it is sub standard players week in week out- all in the same position - the forward lines.
They smashed the Saints midfield?
No, they got more of the ball & proceeded to do heckall with it. It’s not a contest to see who gets the ball the most.
Ross planned for it & was set up beautifully to repel & counter attack.
We won the most ball & it actually helped them as it was so painfully slow it gave them extra time to set up

They smashed the Saints midfield?
No, they got more of the ball & proceeded to do *all with it. It’s not a contest to see who gets the ball the most.
Ross planned for it & was set up beautifully to repel & counter attack.
We won the most ball & it actually helped them as it was so painfully slow it gave them extra time to set up

hard to do - but you have managed to agree with everything I have said whilst disagreeing...

hard to do - but you have managed to agree with everything I have said whilst disagreeing...
I do try, don’t disagree that the forward line has major issues, the forward line will be continue to be ****ed while the game style is painfully slow.
I fail to see how Voss has any clue about his players when the “plan” is to slowly build to forwards who are questionable under pressure taking set shots.

Back