Toast Round 6 = Collingwood 90-77 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnson should be a lock on form. The selection decision should be Cox v McStay.
McStay, Mihocek, AJ are clearly our 3 talls in the fwd line, our preferred structure

I think the real competition will be for the small forwards, especially with Lipinski and Adams to come in still.

Coaches seem pretty happy with 2 rucks, and our 3 tall backs will be Frampton, Moore and Murphy - IT will be very hard for Howe to get back from such serious injury unless someone else is injured

CFC is proving that big money is not the be all and end all. Many post of this war chest we are building. I really hope we don't throw it away on a big money recruit. I hope we get it to retain and reward our premiership players from 2023.
agree - in part ........ why waste draft picks/$ on big name players when ruscoe, frampton, markov (hell, even kelly looked comfortable when he came on) etc are proving role players/depth players can and will step up and succeed under this system

macrae has an opportunity to build a legacy here .... off field he should be resisting any push to sell the farm for big name players ........ be sensible, be circumspect, recruit wisely .... and respect the organic camaraderie he has allowed foster in his short time there ..... to wit

1. target role players
2. go to the draft
3. only ever pursue big name players as a last resort

[edit] posted whilst drunk ... apologies if it reads like that :drunk:

agree - in part ........ why waste draft picks/$ on big name players when ruscoe, frampton, markov (hell, even kelly looked comfortable when he came on) etc are proving role players/depth players can and will step up and succeed under this system

macrae has an opportunity to build a legacy here .... off field he should be resisting any push to sell the farm for big name players ........ be sensible, be circumspect, recruit wisely .... and respect the organic camaraderie he has allowed foster in his short time there ..... to wit

1. target role players
2. go to the draft
3. only ever pursue big name players as a last resort

[edit] posted whilst drunk ... apologies if it reads like that :drunk:
Good post.
Your number 1 point in target role players.
I think this is what Fly and Wrighty are doing.
Hence, Frampton, Markov, Hill

You can go further:
  • Round 4 1977 (Rich vs Coll) = 92,436
  • Round 6 2019 (Ess vs Coll) = 92,241
  • Round 6 2014 (Coll vs Ess) = 91,731
The top 8 biggest H&A crowds have all involved Collingwood.

The top 10 biggest H&A crowds have involved Collingwood 9 times.

The top 20 biggest H&A crowds have involved Collingwood 16 times.

Top 20 crowds:
  • Collingwood = 16 (8 as the home team)
  • Essendon = 16 (6 as the home team)
  • Richmond = 4 (3 as the home team)
  • Carlton = 2 (1 as the home team)
  • Melbourne = 1 (1 as the home team)
  • Hawthorn = 1 (1 as the home team)
I think the 1958 record will never be broken.

I have said it over and over again. Listen Richmond fans. The tigers have never been bigger than Collingwood. No club in Australia has ever been bigger than collingwood.

Suggested other endeavours didn't pan out so I'm back to an umpiring review like round 1.

Round 1 there was some talk of bad umpiring and Geelong getting the advantage, not consensus opinion though. My review didn't show any major disadvantage to us.

This time though, seems an overwhelming view that we got the rough end of the stick. And the review seems to show this.

Usual caveats apply, trying to be objective, limited with TV vision and the murky world of ever changing interpretations, and I didn't review as many non-decisions where the crowd was rather loud (didn't miss any howlers though I feel). Still think got good coverage with the actual decisions and select non-frees I reviewed.

Q1
Ess free – J Daicos front on contact, fair enough (disagree that such minor contact should even be a free but that’s how it’s currently called…)

No free – Shiels tackled by De Goey, ball knocked out. Had 1-2 steps prior so borderline prior opportunity. 50/50

Ess free – Holding the ball Crisp. He was tacked initially and ball knocked loose, play on. He then gathered the ball while on the ground, not dragging it in. A little harsh as no real prior on second gather. 50/50

Coll free – Holding the ball. J Daicos with first tackle, Quaynor with second, incorrect disposal. Fair call.

Ess free – Maynard, throw. TV angle can’t see clearly, umpire in perfect position. Fair call.

No free – Mihocek pushed Ess player in back, then Mihocek pushed in back by second Ess player. Ess player’s push seemed more forceful but can’t complain here.

Ess free – Draper in marking contest. Took a few replays to actually see the infringement but there was a very slight high contact from Moore’s left arm/hand. Would see plenty of these and worse not paid but the umpire must have had clear view so fair call. Obviously this one stands out as result was a goal and was very minor.

Ess free – De Goey holding the ball. Unaware player coming from behind, had prior. Fair call.

Coll free – OOB, insufficient intent. Ess player kicked out of pack under pressure, off side of boot by the look of it. I find these very hard to assess, but little regard seems to be given for skill error by umpires, so from their mind a fair call.

No free – J Daicos held without the ball. Clearly a free, jumper held, arm around.

Coll free – Mitchell, holding. TV camera did not pick this up at all. I think it was an out of zone umpire who called it as otherwise it should have been advantage with N Daicos able to kick on goal from around 45m. Great tap from Frampton to De Goey, HB to J Daicos, HB to N Daicos, all continuous play. Fair call, but just bad luck as I don’t think can pay advantage from out of zone umpire’s call?

Ess free – Holding against Hill. Hard to see clearly on vision but looked to hold arm, so fair call.

Coll free – Push by Draper on Moore in marking contest. Full arm extension push in back, fair call.

Q2
No free – Ruck contest, Draper moved Frampton to ground easily. I agree with no free, as Draper let Frampton take front position and even though used his arm a little it was mainly Frampton’s momentum and expectation of body contact that led to him going to ground.

No free – Draper was tackled, dispossessed. Really had to tell on the vision. He tried to fend off first tackle and then was in a handball motion as second tackle was being applied. If handball was connected, fair call. There was an umpire on the right side with better view than TV. Just can’t determine with this angle. 50/50

No 50m paid – Daicos marked, knocked down. Yep, no 50m. How good was the left foot pass a second later!

No free – Markov tackled, borderline if had prior. Close to boundary, rather than try to dispose he walked over the line. Very close to holding the ball. 50/50

Ess free – Mihocek high contact. Fair call.

Ess free – Ruscoe, front on contact. Same as the Daicos Q1 free, very soft but fair call under current interpretation. A pity as was actually a really good spoil with his head!

Ess free – Elliott holding. Clear hold. Fair call.

No free – Ess player had three steps then ball knocked out in tackle. 50/50

Ess free – McCreery bumped Ess player after disposal. Fair call even if only slightly late and very gentle.

Ess free – Kreuger unrealistic marking attempt. He claimed to get a fingertip on it, but if only a fingertip then I guess it was unrealistic! Fair call.

Q3
Ess free – Holding the man. Barely a tackle, more a bump but arms around. 50/50

No free – Marking contest. Moore taken out by Ess player with eyes on man, not ball. Clear missed free. Mark by Ruscoe in any case.

Ess free – Mihocek high contact in marking contest. Fair call.

Coll free – holding the ball Pendlebury. Ess player had prior, fair call.

No 50m paid – Free above paid to Pendlebury, then N Daicos punched. Umpire 10 metres away but possibly didn’t see actual impact given Daicos was between umpire and Ess player. Still a missed 50m.

Coll free – Noble high contact. Fair call.

Ess free – Noble holding the ball after playing on from the above high contact free. Fair call.

Ess free – In the back, McCreery tackling, initial tackle seemed fine but just final position in the back, but barely. 50/50 “but stiff there” according to JB.

Ess free – De Goey holding the ball. Fair call.

Ess free – Frampton bumped player after disposing of the ball. Fair call.

Ess free – Maynard, another soft front on contact...but fair call.

Coll free – Mitchell, high contact. Fair call.

Q4
Coll free – Pendlebury, high contact. Fair call

No free – De Goey tackled without the ball. Missed call when comparing to first Ess free in Q2. 50/50

No free – Noble tackled, throw from TV angle but umpire likely couldn’t see. No prior, as made effort could even call play on in some cases. 50/50

No free – J Daicos pushed in the back, decent shove. 50/50

Ess free – Draper v Johnson. Draper did similar to what he did to Frampton in 2nd quarter so no issue with what Draper did, initiate contact and position his body so Johnson not getting contact he expected. Then as Johnson was going to ground he wrapped both arms around Draper. Fair call, showing actual ruckman v part-timers with these two ruck contests.

No free – Just before Markov got the free below he appeared to make high contact to Ess player, just a light touch but there so 50/50

Coll free – Markov high contact. Similar level to the one that Markov could have been penalised for. 50/50

Ess free – Frampton push out in ruck contest. Ess player sure made the most of a light push (J Daicos non-free had more force). 50/50

Ess mark – Draper and Johnson in marking contest. Johnson with front position, Draper with first grab, but barely held on and Johnson with a good piece of it. Play on to me but 50/50 (won’t include in stats as didn’t really include other marks/non-marks (e.g. Frampton, Weideman).

Coll free – Holding the ball/incorrect disposal to Ruscoe. Had prior, fair call. Nice desperate tackle from Ruscoe, pretty much sealed the win as were able to run the clock down after this.

Totals:
Coll
Fair frees: 9
50/50 frees: 1
50/50 not paid: 5
Missed: 3 (incl. missed 50m)

Ess
Fair frees: 16
50/50 frees: 4
50/50 not paid: 3
Missed: 0

You may have missed my point. He looked like he was in more danger of doing a groin in that photo.

Not a fan of holding the Gatorade bottle between your thighs to sling an arm around your teammates?

Harsh :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tribunal setting its own precedent. Gut punches coming en masse.

Garbage- it was the MRO, not the Tribunal and a fine was the only option under the guidelines for intentional low impact to the body.

By all means critique the prescribed penalty if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Suggested other endeavours didn't pan out so I'm back to an umpiring review like round 1.

Round 1 there was some talk of bad umpiring and Geelong getting the advantage, not consensus opinion though. My review didn't show any major disadvantage to us.

This time though, seems an overwhelming view that we got the rough end of the stick. And the review seems to show this.

Usual caveats apply, trying to be objective, limited with TV vision and the murky world of ever changing interpretations, and I didn't review as many non-decisions where the crowd was rather loud (didn't miss any howlers though I feel). Still think got good coverage with the actual decisions and select non-frees I reviewed.

Q1
Ess free – J Daicos front on contact, fair enough (disagree that such minor contact should even be a free but that’s how it’s currently called…)

No free – Shiels tackled by De Goey, ball knocked out. Had 1-2 steps prior so borderline prior opportunity. 50/50

Ess free – Holding the ball Crisp. He was tacked initially and ball knocked loose, play on. He then gathered the ball while on the ground, not dragging it in. A little harsh as no real prior on second gather. 50/50

Coll free – Holding the ball. J Daicos with first tackle, Quaynor with second, incorrect disposal. Fair call.

Ess free – Maynard, throw. TV angle can’t see clearly, umpire in perfect position. Fair call.

No free – Mihocek pushed Ess player in back, then Mihocek pushed in back by second Ess player. Ess player’s push seemed more forceful but can’t complain here.

Ess free – Draper in marking contest. Took a few replays to actually see the infringement but there was a very slight high contact from Moore’s left arm/hand. Would see plenty of these and worse not paid but the umpire must have had clear view so fair call. Obviously this one stands out as result was a goal and was very minor.

Ess free – De Goey holding the ball. Unaware player coming from behind, had prior. Fair call.

Coll free – OOB, insufficient intent. Ess player kicked out of pack under pressure, off side of boot by the look of it. I find these very hard to assess, but little regard seems to be given for skill error by umpires, so from their mind a fair call.

No free – J Daicos held without the ball. Clearly a free, jumper held, arm around.

Coll free – Mitchell, holding. TV camera did not pick this up at all. I think it was an out of zone umpire who called it as otherwise it should have been advantage with N Daicos able to kick on goal from around 45m. Great tap from Frampton to De Goey, HB to J Daicos, HB to N Daicos, all continuous play. Fair call, but just bad luck as I don’t think can pay advantage from out of zone umpire’s call?

Ess free – Holding against Hill. Hard to see clearly on vision but looked to hold arm, so fair call.

Coll free – Push by Draper on Moore in marking contest. Full arm extension push in back, fair call.

Q2
No free – Ruck contest, Draper moved Frampton to ground easily. I agree with no free, as Draper let Frampton take front position and even though used his arm a little it was mainly Frampton’s momentum and expectation of body contact that led to him going to ground.

No free – Draper was tackled, dispossessed. Really had to tell on the vision. He tried to fend off first tackle and then was in a handball motion as second tackle was being applied. If handball was connected, fair call. There was an umpire on the right side with better view than TV. Just can’t determine with this angle. 50/50

No 50m paid – Daicos marked, knocked down. Yep, no 50m. How good was the left foot pass a second later!

No free – Markov tackled, borderline if had prior. Close to boundary, rather than try to dispose he walked over the line. Very close to holding the ball. 50/50

Ess free – Ruscoe, front on contact. Same as the Daicos Q1 free, very soft but fair call under current interpretation. A pity as was actually a really good spoil with his head!

Ess free – McCreery bumped Ess player after disposal. Fair call even if only slightly late and very gentle.

Ess free – Kreuger unrealistic marking attempt. He claimed to get a fingertip on it, but if only a fingertip then I guess it was unrealistic! Fair call.

Q3

No free – Marking contest. Moore taken out by Ess player with eyes on man, not ball. Clear missed free. Mark by Ruscoe in any case.

No 50m paid – Free above paid to Pendlebury, then N Daicos punched. Umpire 10 metres away but possibly didn’t see actual impact given Daicos was between umpire and Ess player. Still a missed 50m.

Ess free – Noble holding the ball after playing on from the above high contact free. Fair call.

Ess free – In the back, McCreery tackling, initial tackle seemed fine but just final position in the back, but barely. 50/50 “but stiff there” according to JB.

Q4

No free – De Goey tackled without the ball. Missed call when comparing to first Ess free in Q2. 50/50

No free – Noble tackled, throw from TV angle but umpire likely couldn’t see. No prior, as made effort could even call play on in some cases. 50/50

Ess free – Draper v Johnson. Draper did similar to what he did to Frampton in 2nd quarter so no issue with what Draper did, initiate contact and position his body so Johnson not getting contact he expected. Then as Johnson was going to ground he wrapped both arms around Draper. Fair call, showing actual ruckman v part-timers with these two ruck contests.

No free – Just before Markov got the free below he appeared to make high contact to Ess player, just a light touch but there so 50/50

Coll free – Markov high contact. Similar level to the one that Markov could have been penalised for. 50/50

Ess free – Frampton push out in ruck contest. Ess player sure made the most of a light push (J Daicos non-free had more force). 50/50

Ess mark – Draper and Johnson in marking contest. Johnson with front position, Draper with first grab, but barely held on and Johnson with a good piece of it. Play on to me but 50/50 (won’t include in stats as didn’t really include other marks/non-marks (e.g. Frampton, Weideman).

Coll free – Holding the ball/incorrect disposal to Ruscoe. Had prior, fair call. Nice desperate tackle from Ruscoe, pretty much sealed the win as were able to run the clock down after this.

Totals:
Coll

Ess
Cheers for the time making this detailed assessment. The front on contacts are technical and annoying, but mostly always paid currently. I can’t remember the pies player, perhaps Mihocek?, received similar contact, but it wasn’t paid. The difference with that one was a second opposition player being behind the contest, but there was still front contact. There’s also a few more that come to mind.

In the contest before Stringer’s goal in the third quarter he was tackled, got his hands & the footy free of the tackle and then dragged both back in closer to his body. I’ve seen these paid as holding the footy previously.

In the third quarter a second Essendon player stood & encroached very close to the back of the player on the mark when we were taking a set shot on goal (we kicked a behind). I wasn’t on the best angle, but it looked within 5m & therefore should have been a 50m penalty. A similar one was paid in an earlier game this round.

After Daicos’ first goal in the last quarter he was dumped via a heavy push in the back. He had already kicked the ball. These often see a second shot on goal given. On replay a different Essendon player bumped Daicos (not late), but the push in the back still occurred.

Last edited:
Garbage- it was the MRO, not the Tribunal and a fine was the only option under the guidelines for intentional low impact to the body.

By all means critique the prescribed penalty if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Garbage - not so long ago they were dishing out a week for gut punches. Somehow that’s fallen by the wayside.

Well done to our coaching staff who made the gutsy decision not to go with popular Big Footy opinion and selected Markov, Frampton and Kelly who all performed well on one of the biggest stages of the Football Calendar.
Amen Fruit - quite apart from their contributions this game it gave Fly invaluable intel on just exactly what they are capable of contributing.

McStay, Mihocek, AJ are clearly our 3 talls in the fwd line, our preferred structure

I think the real competition will be for the small forwards, especially with Lipinski and Adams to come in still.

Coaches seem pretty happy with 2 rucks, and our 3 tall backs will be Frampton, Moore and Murphy - IT will be very hard for Howe to get back from such serious injury unless someone else is injured

When Howe is ready he is picked without question.

And Cameron and Cox are both going to play so that makes AJ's spot tough. Imo the forward line has been spluttering because we havent had a Cox/Cameron down there and have been relying on Mihocek etc.

Adams was missed and Lipinski will play because he rolls through the midfield as well.

That was an obvious punch and deserved a 1 week suspension.
Tribunal sucks balls.
It was the MRO.

If that was one of our players, everyone on this board would be screaming like banchees if our player got a week for that.

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Totals:
Coll

Ess
I appreciate your commitment to the cause but its pretty pointless going back complaining about the umpires. I thought it was fairly umpired, our mistakes caused a lot of the free kicks that Essendon got but we won so we move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back