Autopsy Round 1 = Collingwood 69-102 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats an absurd take for a coach that has got us to a prelim and a flag on the back of the biggest disaster off season in 2020 and 2021

Yeah let’s not forget that MM also took us to two grand finals, one which we nearly won too and he came to the club when we were in the slumps as well.

I love both coaches and have massive respect for McRae

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

2004 we lost our first 9 games on the back of a big grand final loss. Our first win since the 2003 Prelim came in Round 10 2004 vs North Melbourne. Now that's a real hangover.
Tarkyn Lockyer the clear difference maker.

Yeah let’s not forget that MM also took us to two grand finals, one which we nearly won too and he came to the club when we were in the slumps as well.

I love both coaches and have massive respect for McRae

i hear what you are saying and thats fair. Coaching mantra doesnt always have to be aggression and anger

I can't write us off this early, we'll come good but I'm not sure how good the good will be. Still think if we can get some talls back for the second half of the season we will do some damage

I think out good will be very good, but not sure if it'll be as good as these ******* Sydney teams are going to be. We've played too really good teams.

People are forgetting that Sydney's season was destroyed last year because every one of their talls was injured in the first half of the year. The year before they were a very young team playing off in the GF. If they have a good run with injury, they're going to take some beating this year, GWS likewise. Two ******* good teams on the rise who will probably be better this year than we were last year - so we've got to find something extra.

What did Richmond and Hawthorn have in common?

Maybe you need to have an angry coach to go back-to-back.

Nice coaches can win one but can't stop the players being playboys the next year. But an angry coach.....
What did they both have in common???

Key Forwards.

Marcov is in not good form.
He is a question mark going forward.
He chases everything and be presents about 100 times a game. For some reason no one seems to want to kick it him because our backs want to always try the longer kick and make themselves look better.

Fly has been through this before with us, always hard early on after a flag as everyone is watching everything you do on the field extremely closely and trying to catch up/ stop.

Couple of tweaks with positions and game style and it’ll turn around you’ll be fine.
2019 Tigers is the example I’m clinging to with all hope

No need to panic yet, acres of improvement to be made.

We'll be there at the pointy end.

This.

Pardon the interruption but there is absolutely no doubt you are correct.

Pretty much nailed it. I want to disagree but cannot.

Both losses felt like the h&a losses to Brissie last year, a bit outclassed and a bit outcoached.

I feel like we got the better of the umpiring and Sydney choked in front of goal, could have been much worse.

Hold the heads up and get back to work.
We clearly watched two different games if you think we got the better of the umpiring.

Can only hope Schultz ends up an essential like Mayne in the end.

Remember when we first got Mayne? Couldn’t kick over 30 shooting at goal at times.

We sh1t canned him and then he was an essential by 2018 GF.

Fingers crossed.
Paying a first and second rounder for a Mayne type would be disastrous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anabelle's review from EBW:

When it was announced we were playing GWS in Sydney off the shortest break ever, following the longest season ever, the alarm bells were ringing. The fact that Ned pushed for that was even more irritating. He’s after more fans and more money. If we win flags, those issues look after themselves. The fans want wins building towards more success.

The aforementioned is not an excuse but one reason militating against early season strong performances Shorn of our best forward and defender also hurts our structure badly.

Having said that, most astute Pie fans understand that we did not have the look of a dynasty team destined for sustainable success. The age profile is more Dad’s army that what the Swans have been building, fortified by their five academy gifts. We lack emerging elite talent due to a number of high finishes and some imprudent decisions. Success in the AFL points one in the direction of future mediocrity because of the system, especially if that success is built on shaky foundations. The overpaying for Schultz compounds our list profile conundrum. At the summit there is always the temptation to top up with seasoned talent due to blocked access at the pointy end of the draft but if there was a player we were going to effectively spend a first and second rounder on, who would have nominated Lachie to be the desired commodity? And that’s not being wise after the event as many were unhappy with this profligacy. Since 2010 we have harmed out list prospects by excluding ourselves from the bumper croft available early in the 2015 draft (our chief nemesis is currently reaping the benefits), made the crazy decision to reunite Beams with his old club, and gave away a future first which ended up to be #2 which would have had great currency, for two highly speculative picks who were delisted rather quickly. Let’s hope we don’t end up finishing in the bottom ten as we will have the proverbial egg on our face. Why did you blink Wrighty? We were unlucky to lose Oliver for a bag of twisties.

While the memories of the past two years will remain undimmed in the future because of their sheer joyousness, the spluttering and uninspiring start has blanched the cheeks of those who did not anticipate how the rest of the competition has unpacked our game style, and how the intangibles and variables surrounding hunger to do the work again might impact the collective output of the group.

We had two fewer days than the Swans to prepare which some experts say, is a bigger advantage earlier in the season to the opposition when a match fitness base has not been established.

The biggest problems last night were the high number of turnovers and the lack of accountability at times and we were miles off our opponents because of strategic breakdown. While our game plan might have been decoded, we can still increase our raw effort to mitigate the effects of some of the critical errors being made.

Have we tinkered at all with our game plan to add a layer which might counter what teams are doing to combat what we did?

Cameron continues to hold his own after a summer which promised a return to form.

Nick is as consistent as ever and nobody would ever question his industry even if he hasn’t been quite as effective over the past two encounters as in previous seasons. It doesn’t help when teammates are not linking as seamlessly as in the past. Added to this we seem to go through him most of the time which has put the opposition on notice.

Josh’s patchy pre-season may be a telling factor in the how and why he’s struggling.

Dean has come in at a time when the defence is not cohering properly which means he’s not getting the mentoring on the ground that he receives at training. It appears to be a big step up for him. He does appear to be more the old-fashioned type defender but needs to be stronger one-on-one as he lacks the ability to leap and general athletic attributes.

Crisp is a huge barometer but appears to be a content man with his flag, new baby and ongoing massive streak of games. It just shows what a little mental drop off might translate to.

As alluded to last week, Pendles seems to be struggling to keep up with the tempo of this high-octane early season, dry weather football. He’s not the worst by a long way, but one wonders if a sub role for instance may allow him to have his greatest impact. Lepa also alluded to how our players just limped into the finals last year hinting that the older players were tired. This is what makes it more bemusing that Fly seems averse to developing the younger types, regardless of their potential. Our midfield looks slow, particularly against on ball brigades with high speed.

It was a strange decision to make Fin the sub. He needs game time to showcase his wares and help transition our midfield group.

Noble, while not the panacea seemed unlucky to be omitted given that always plays the game like it’s his last. To drop him and retain Ash smacked of lack of selection integrity. It would be different if for Johnson last week was an aberration; in reality he’s played a good number of those games. He plays with a lackadaisical attitude which smacks of contentment regardless of the scoreline. He doesn’t chase, his reputedly sticky hands are quite porous at times. Reef cannot be worse, especially as he does tend to work hard.

Q seems to be indecisive in his approach in terms of whether he impacts one contest or stay back and defend another. Does his extra bulk compromise his speed?

Our forward line looks dysfunctional. There is a lack of height and some of the smaller types are struggling to impact.

Checkers is looking every bit the battering ram he has been for years and he is trying to act as our only tall, save for the chop out from resting ruckmen.

Jamie has also been the punching bag and doesn’t appear to have a lot of fuel left in the tank.

Beau is not offering as much as he can. Pehraps his role is hard to define. He tends to fumble a bit but swinging him into the middle may at least stop a few of the opposition mids in their tracks.

Both the defence and forward sectors are also at times a victim of poor midfield connection which is the conduit between both. Nonetheless when the mids are struggling, we may have to adjust how we defend.

Moore clearly needs to lead more decisively. He needs to organise the backline and galvanise the group. His own football looks to be well below his highest standard. How hungry is he for success?

Howe was touted as the answer but he is more the interceptor than one who takes a man.

Steele being down on output compared with last week also affected our performance.

Again the only silver lining appeared to be no significant injuries.

The Aints won’t be pushovers either with Lyon strategizing and a host of youngsters adding enthusiasm to their squad, not to mention Max King who will present us with problems given our poor defence. We can’t afford to keep conceding over 100 points.

Yeah this. Fly isn’t a Hardwick or Clarkson. Love fly with all my heart but I wish he had a more angry\ no nonsense approach at times. Kinda makes me miss Malthouse

I think that the charming Fly is his public personna, I would not mind betting he is more like a smiling assassin than meek and mild personality. He just is much better than Hardwick or Clarkson at controlling his temper.

1. Midfield hasn't been the to blame the last 2 weeks. Giants and Swans didn't humiliate Pies at the midfield to get these wins but instead showed superior defense and attack structures that just made Pies look second rate so far. And it's not close. Both teams have defended the Pies and demolished the defenders so easily that you just know Pies are definitely playing below their normal rate.

2. The Pies look slower and weaker. I've never seen so many Pies would be tackles brushed off so easily. The Pies are known for trapping the ball in their attacking half of the ground with relentless tackling and pressure.
The last 2 weeks, we see so many attempted tackles simply brushed away as Giantd and Swans easily transported the ball out from defense and onto attack. Where the Pies key defenders are almost always outnumbered.

Either the Pies are not fit, or they aren't trying as hard.

This bit really raises the raises concerns of the Pies premiership hang over. It's a walk in the park for other teams to get the ball out and attack....

3. Forward line is a mess. Schultz is supposedly a good player but so far he has looked misused and neutralised. The Pies inside 50 has small and medium players who would thrive in applying tackling pressure and also give taller defenders he'll by getting to open space first.

But instead what we have seen is 5'9 Schultz playing close to his defender and attempting aerial marks with a 6'3 defender hanging off if him.... it's a no brainer who would win the ball in the air.

Also Elliot looks unfit or he's just too old. He moves slower than his defender who is 5 inch taller.... so Elliot has no advantage. Also it seems his team mates block his space, as in Schult, Hill, Johnson and Mihocek are all trying to play the same role as him. It just looks bad.

A short forward line should be given the ball via open spaces where the leg speed of the forwards beats their taller and longer defenders. You don't give them the ball up in the air where there is no advantage.

It looks like a deliberate for tactical purposes or simply really bad coaching.

4. Defense. Where is it?
Dean rarely helps on aerial contests nor does he intercepts. Moore looks like he's distracted or he's trying to make up for the lack of size back there. Moore's kicking has been bad since August last year and it's carried over. He needs to avoid those risky across the field kicks as it rarely hits his target... short all the time, so it could be a fitness issue.

Quaynor was AA form all season last year but he's made mistakes after mistakes so far the last 2 weeks. It's uncharacteristic of him. Again, is it a fitness issue?

The lack of competent tall defender is obvious but the fact that opposition forwards look stronger, more athletic and faster than Pies defenders is very telling.

Are they tanking back there? Or again, simply a lack of fitness. Combine that with Dean simply looking not ready.... Pies defense looks absolutely borderline AFL level. A VFL team could kick 8 goals against the Pies at the moment.

Midfield were poor defensively and also poor entries inside 50.

The stat sheet proves your eyes were wrong.
We also won clearances.
You can’t say we played bruise free football given we won CP.
This was a game of abysmal lack of control of the football through incessant turnovers.

You can because there are different CP indicators, some contested possessions are lucky to be considered contested.

DJ_Khaled_Suffering_from_Success.jpg

Way too early to be criticising the Schultz trade. He is playing in a position that really needs better ball movement from defense to offence than is happening now. Hill isn't exactly on fire either.

The way we played last year, Schultz would have been a massive upgrade on Ginni.
I thought Schultz was OK - 2 goals in a crap team effort is not too bad.
The first was a nice snap in heavy traffic.
At least twice, he looked to give it off to a teammate when he could have had a shot.
He's still feeling his way into the team and the system, although the system was an absentee last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back