Review Opening Round = GWS 114-82 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Which means we were getting enough footy, just not using it well.

Lots to work on, we'll be better next week.

Every team gets enough footy. They just don't use it well typically because the opposition don't allow it.

I'm sure we will be better it's round 1 after all.
I was just pointing out they were rubbish inside 50s despite the count.
The way we bombed long had to be to instruction I would imagine to bring it down to the smalls to score. But GWS was getting numbers back and clogged the space for said smalls.

Saw this coming for a while actually then changed my prediction leading up to the game to us winning. Original pick is the best option 9 times out of ten. Honestly I'm not concerned I kind of foreseen a slow start to our season but I believe in us come seasons end. Could drop this game on Friday night but we'll hit a streak or two throughout the year as we've did the previous 2. I'll back us in for a strong showing against Sydney and I think we'll win convincingly.

Top 4 will be us, Lions, Giants and Carlton. We'll be there again.

It’s all about confidence- AJ needs a block of games to prove himself.
If he can’t do it - then it’s Reef turn for a block.
Dropping AJ after one game does nothing but undermine his reward for pre-season efforts to improve.

I actually think they worked best when together in preseason, one would block for the other and help get seperation. This doesn't seem to happen often when they play AFL with thier senior team mates.

Hill Reef AJ
McCreery Mihocek Schultz

This obs means one of the rucks has bench time and rotates ruck and fwd duties from there.

I actually think they worked best when together in preseason, one would block for the other and help get seperation. This doesn't seem to happen often when they play AFL with thier senior team mates.

Hill Reef AJ
McCreery Mihocek Schultz

This obs means one of the rucks has bench time and rotates ruck and fwd duties from there.
As I have said many times on this platform, the current situation in relation to whether Ash Johnson stays in the team or Reef McInnes comes in reflects the much deeper & entrenched problem in that we have not recently recruited a couple of young key position players & especially inthe key forward posts. I look around at most of the other clubs & they just about all have project key position forwards on their lists. In fact that is a task that I will devote myself to over the next week or two. Now some may work out & be serviceable players & others may not make it & one or two may become competent AFL players in a key forward post. However I cannot identify one such project player on our current list at present. Maybe I am wrong & do not know the 2024 list well enough. By the way, I am talking about young players with certain characteristics such as being 194, 195, 196 cm in height, if not taller. Well that is my contribution but it seems to me that we are still exerting undue pressures & responsibility on Mihocek & he is not getting any younger & his body seems to perpetually battered & sore by the middle to the latter part of most recent seasons. So goodnight & good luck.

Can’t help but feel our backline is missing one proper lockdown key defender. It would have been my #1 issue in offseason to trade for before Schultz or anything else. Whether there was one available is another story.

No team can win the way we defended last night, bruise free, too much space and even gave up a few of those shockers where they leave their man when there is no danger of impacting the ball carrier.

Thought our midfield was pretty good before they eventually stopped bothering when not only we defended poorly, but missed sitters too.

Good:
Cameron - had some real presence
McCreery - enormous effort with speed and strength
Maynard - shut down their match winner, or so we thought
Frampton, Eyre, Dean, Murphy, Howe Moore - how many tall defenders do you want?

The most disheartening aspect of AJ's performance is the fact that he must have known this was one of his last chances to nail down a position given his constant returns to the VFL and short-lived stints in the seniors. You'd think he'd be almost kamikaze like in his approach to the pill and opposition. Alas,it was the same AJ. When the pill slipped through his hands in the first term like it was made of soap I saw it as a portent of things to come and wasn't wrong to do so.

Every team gets enough footy. They just don't use it well typically because the opposition don't allow it.

I'm sure we will be better it's round 1 after all.
I was just pointing out they were rubbish inside 50s despite the count.
The way we bombed long had to be to instruction I would imagine to bring it down to the smalls to score. But GWS was getting numbers back and clogged the space for said smalls.
Seems we're in agreement then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time we lost a first week game and won the flag was 1990 which was against a Mick Malthouse-coached West Coast side in Mick's first game as their senior coach.

We lost by 46 points which was bigger than last night.

The amount of trash from GWS and other supporters that are trolling on X is embarrassing- I can’t take a lot but not from a novelty AFL funded team

Revenge will be sweet

Apparently the trolling GWS did about our banner. The letter actually fell off it wasn’t a spelling mistake. But good luck to them.

I wasn’t shocked by the result.

Don’t judge the season on 1 game. By end of April I expect us to be 5 wins (2 losses). That would be a good result and have us in good shape for balance of the year.

We were poor in Saturday no doubt. But that loss would sting and playing in front of a home crowd unfurling the premiership flag on Friday night I expect Fly will get them up.

Go PIES

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently the trolling GWS did about our banner. The letter actually fell off it wasn’t a spelling mistake. But good luck to them.
We all know it fell off ... it is just banter.

Was a scrappy game last night with a lot of cobwebs blown out by both teams ... still on a level so far ahead of that swines/dees games it's not funny.

Look forward to playing again when it counts later in the year .. go well, gentlemen

Was a scrappy game last night with a lot of cobwebs blown out by both teams ... still on a level so far ahead of that swines/dees games it's not funny.

Look forward to playing again when it counts later in the year .. go well, gentlemen

Yeah sure, you know this is AFL not NRL right?

GWS were very good last night. Thanks for visiting mate and hopefully we'll see you at the pointy end.

You're always welcome here.

All in all, it's probably not the worst sign that GWS can play an absolute blinder (18.4 from 50 inside 50's is beyond elite) fuelled by the fire of a losing prelim... and we can play fumbly, structure-less football like it's a low-intensity practice match...

...and we can still have more shots on goal and more i50's.

We were very, very bad. But even then, there’s still upside.
Also had to do with our poor defending. Way too many set shots right in front of the sticks. And uncontested shots on goal. GSS played v well and absolutely pantsed us. We just couldn’t cope with their pressure, or the conditions, as well as they could…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back