Autopsy 2023 Rd 11 It's Groundhog Day ... again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Swans in Round 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope it's ok to reply here but I hadn't really thought of that but you're dead right, watching Carlton tonight there's no Hardwick/Hodge types that can unsettle the oppo - very one paced in relation to attack on the man and ball.

Can't win finals/flags being the nice guy...

Maybe Melbourne is the exception? They were quite nice, but the likes of Viney are ruthless and set the tone.

Richmond: Cochin bit of a dirty sniper and not afraid to ruffle feathers, Grimes, Vlastuin, Riewoldt all had some campaigner in them.

Hawthorn: Hodge, say less.

Geelong: Selwood, say less.

Port? Idk, mostly bunch of nice guys, Butters is a bit of a unit and doesn't take shit.

Can somebody please explain our game plan. Im really trying to see it

On SM-T865 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's dire when after a 23 year rebuild, you long for the days of Paul bower running the lines like Wild. E Coyote.

This team makes Paul bower look like prime Paul Burgoyne

This is arguably the worst of the rebuild...because they're actually meant to be good.

Are we bottom 4 if you take games from June to June?

Surely the “Doc is a midfielder” experiment is over. They had him play midfield/fwd for the first half of the game while a genuine midfielder/fwd in Kennedy was playing CHB and contributing nothing.

Sorry, but since Doc was moved to the midfield mid last year, we’ve won what, 6/7 games? This isn’t a slight on Doc but he should be playing down back and mids like Kennedy should be in the guts.

Edit: not for a second do I think Doc playing mid is the sole reason why we lost tonight or why we’ve been bad for the last 12 months, but it’s a symptom of the same disease
Sent the exact thing to a carlton mate. Haven’t watched a blues game since Good Friday, but Kennedy is a beast at a stoppage, and you’ve got him playing deep one out on Hayward.

Is this a regular thing? That’s the perfect matchup for doc to work him over the other way after winning the 1v1!

I honestly feel sick. This is closest to the low point of supporting a club which has delivered some pretty spectacular low points.

A 5 goal loss to depleted opposition, when we managed to kick 6 ourselves is telling. 6 losses in 7 matches, with the win being against a WAFL team. This is a team with almost zero injuries, in its prime, at the culmination of an 8 year rebuild. It is almost unfathomable.

The gameplan and structure was horrendous. The complete overemphasis on defensive structures that don't hold up anyway. The constant long kicks to the same spot. The complete lack of correct positioning at contests, whether we win the ball or lose it.

The team selection was horrendous. Dropping our full back completely threw out the defensive system. Playing a second ruckman and plonking them in the exact same hole we bomb the ball too every time we have possession.

The skill execution by the players was horrendous. It looks like they haven't practiced at all. Players who used to show reasonable skills just hack the ball onto the boot, miss handballs to players a foot away.

I honestly can't think of a single positive - except that next week we play on Friday night and I've got a function on and won't be able to watch the game.
Spot on!

we should be fine with a bit of luck and some fine tuning, use the rest of the season to incorporate dow & binns etc into the squad - get voss some support, bring on the dees, let's go boys!!!

Hate to say it but I called this in the preview thread saying that this game was starting to feel like the time during COVID where we played an injury ravaged Eagles but still got torched. That loss led to the review that ultimately sacked Teague.

The team at the moment stands for nothing. No character, no heart, no joy etc.

We are years away 😢😢😢
No Character, no heart, no joy.

The best summation I have heard.

Fly has turned a so-so filth into something that values all of these things. Well done to him. I hate it with all of my being, but they deserve to win the flag this year.

Sacking our Coach will only exacerbate things IMO. We either let the players decide who and what the coach and gamestyle is, or we let them go. From the Captain down. Back Voss, sack the non-belivers.

We need steel in the backbone. We have play-doh.

I’d suggest most comments here tonight aren’t just about a loss.

We’ve seen and experienced plenty of those over the past 2 decades.

Rather they’re reflective of a broken club, which is devoid of talented leadership in every key area: boardroom; coaching; on field.

At the end of 2015 we were told/sold the need for a total rebuild.

Fair to say 8 years later that’s been a monumental strategic and operational failure.

Years of pain for burnt draft capital examples like pick 3 (Dow), 5 (SPS) and 10 (Obrien) are the tip of the iceberg.

Failure follows failure.

So where to from here? Well I certainly don’t have the answers, but I suggest the fish rots from the head.

Maybe a Board spill is needed? But even if that happened it would probably result in more - at least - short term damage.

Regardless we can’t dismiss the glaring problem: our club is broken.

And I personally have no confidence the current leadership can fix this.

Someone at selection said, on the smallest ground in the game, let's add a 2m+ player to the two great KPFs we already have.

This is a thing people went for.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6.15 ! wowee

That said

1. I think Voss needs a reboot playing Cerra and Kennedy HBF - even after Hewett gets carried off with concussion - when we are getting smashed in CBB giving up Carlton's only top4 capability and getting in return - what?
2. I'm over the lack of skill and execution in general play - that is partly on players and partly on coaching .
3. Vossy would now know the knives are put away and the meat cleaver will be out - fortunately he has been saving an ace up his sleeve- he can play the handsome prince Dow next week and all will be good.

90,000 Carlton supporters have just been handed a see you next year card- before the bye.

Will be mildly interesting if not downright amusing to see how the Club reacts - back to Pennant Golf for me and I might take up knitting as a second hobby.

Hate to say it but I called this in the preview thread saying that this game was starting to feel like the time during COVID where we played an injury ravaged Eagles but still got torched. That loss led to the review that ultimately sacked Teague.

The team at the moment stands for nothing. No character, no heart, no joy etc.

We are years away

I was at that game and I could see no evidence that we actually had a coach, with Teague doing his Weekend at Burnie’s impression. It’s certainly starting to feel that way again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why are we bombing that long high kick to a pack....our forwards don't even run to make space for each other.....pathetic showing gone backwards big time this season.....we can't hand pass if our life depended on it......and kicking for goal whoever is our forward coach scrunch him up and throw him in the bin, together with the rest of the coaches and start again.....bring back Ratten

Back