Autopsy Thankgod for our kicking boots Swans by 11 to keep season alive!

Remove this Banner Ad

That was fun. I remain unconvinced by us but I think banking these wins and having those sorts of "OMG did he just do that?" plays and highlights is important for next year. The way the season was trending in that stretch between rounds 6 and 10, losing four on the trot in pretty average circumstances I might add... too much of that is how you end up with the team culture West Coast currently have. You forget how to win. We've reminded ourselves that we are far from that, and I think regardless of what happens over the next month or so, that's a good place to be when we go into next season.

A few individual thoughts:

- McLean was brilliant. Complete big man performance and you could physically see the match-up dysfunction that he & Amartey were causing the GWS defenders.

- He's not our most polished or prolific, but Rowbottom is our most damaging player. I don't think there's a single player on our list whose involvement makes the team actively better as much as Rowbottom's.

- Lloyd stepped up and reminded everyone that he's not just a plodder. He is a serious attacking weapon in his own right. Not a better sight in our team than seeing Lloyd streaming through the corridor.

- A nice night for the underdogs. Hayward with the unsighted role; Francis with the VFL form carry-over; Wicks with some scoreboard reward; Clarke with a more proactive role; and Stephens the super-sub.

Always love beating this mob.

Oh and I can't reveal my source but expect mass outs next week. I've heard up to nine players dealing with hand and finger injuries. No official confirmation of the cause but word is Dane Rampe's high-fives in the rooms.

That was fun. I remain unconvinced by us but I think banking these wins and having those sorts of "OMG did he just do that?" plays and highlights is important for next year. The way the season was trending in that stretch between rounds 6 and 10, losing four on the trot in pretty average circumstances I might add... too much of that is how you end up with the team culture West Coast currently have. You forget how to win. We've reminded ourselves that we are far from that, and I think regardless of what happens over the next month or so, that's a good place to be when we go into next season.

- McLean was brilliant. Complete big man performance and you could physically see the match-up dysfunction that he & Amartey were causing the GWS defenders.

- He's not our most polished or prolific, but Rowbottom is our most damaging player. I don't think there's a single player on our list whose involvement makes the team actively better as much as Rowbottom's.

- Lloyd stepped up and reminded everyone that he's not just a plodder. He is a serious attacking weapon in his own right. Not a better sight in our team than seeing Lloyd streaming through the corridor.

- A nice night for the underdogs. Hayward with the unsighted role; Francis with the VFL form carry-over; Wicks with some scoreboard reward; Clarke with a more proactive role; and Stephens the super-sub.

you love rowbottom. You’re prepared to overlook his flaws - which is his average disposal. The two turnover kicks coming out of defence could have been super costly.

I too like him but he’s just a good b grade player. I can’t see him ever making a grade. I would put him in the good night for the underdog category as well.

the point really is the team is the sum of its parts and he did his job well.

you love rowbottom. You’re prepared to overlook his flaws - which is his average disposal. The two turnover kicks coming out of defence could have been super costly.

I too like him but he’s just a good b grade player. I can’t see him ever making a grade. I would put him in the good night for the underdog category as well.

the point really is the team is the sum of its parts and he did his job well.
This is a strange take on a positive comment. Regarding the two kicks that both went to GWS players, I do remember them. I remember them because they were within about 90 seconds of each other. The reason people may not remember the times when Fox and Campbell and Florent and Lloyd did the exact same kicks multiple times is because they were spread out over four quarters. The hurried bomb out of defence is one of the most common in footy you might've noticed these days. So what I saw was not a mid making some horrific errors. What I saw was a mid pushing back to help out our defenders and do what needed to be done - and what they likely would've done themselves if their own kicks throughout the night were anything to go by - which was getting it out of there by any means necessary. You might've noticed it proved quite effective all night...

It's also worth noting that were those kicks marked by Swans players, we're likely setting up to go inside 50 and Rowbottom is being praised for clearing it out of the danger zone and moving it on. It's a fine line.

As far as what I think of him as a player I'm prepared to look at his game as a whole. I don't think there's a player on our list who doesn't have average disposal in contested situations. When Gulden or Warner or Florent or whoever else is supposedly "A grade" (like that means anything) is in contested situations they do the exact same things Rowbottom does - plenty of hurried disposals and bombing it forward. If Rowbottom does those things more than those players, it's because he's in contested situations more than those players. Here are the contested possession rates of our mids:

Rowbottom - 68%
Warner - 47%
Parker - 30%
Mills - 30%
Gulden - 19%

So yeah, no s**t he's not going to have as many clean touches as others. But I still think that some of his work in the contest is genius. His little side steps out of trouble, his ability to get arms free in tackles, his vision to find free Swans in heavy congestion, his slick hands to thread the needle in traffic, the reading of the ball drop. I think he does these things better than most, and it's why I like him going for the ball, and why I think when he is involved and doing these things, the team as a whole is better. If he is doing those things then chances are we are winning, and I care more about wins than fans' arbitrary gradings of players.

If you don't agree that's OK.

I'm still pissed off malceski was called for deliberate v carlton in 2014 round 17 I think it was
What minute mark of what quarter? I need specifics mate!

I’d almost go as far as saying Lloyd has had his best year for the club.

Even in his years where he has been rated highly by the club I’ve thought he’s been easily out marked or his dinky little kicks have done nothing to progress the footy.

Have not had those thoughts about him this year. Solid mature footy from him.

Umpires we're atrocious. Missed so much and half the time you couldn't figure what they gave. It was nice to see us get a few though.
I quite liked the fact that the umpires put the whistle away at times only to come up with 3+ free kicks in Sydney’s favour in the last 2 mins of play that helped us get over the line. They could have easily overofficiated in the wet…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of a return to slingshot footy lately with a huge chunk of our scores starting from defence.

We were a bit fortunate with our accuracy but our quick transition also gave us wide open spaces inside 50.
They didn't have an answer for our ball movement in the first half

Wonder how much of it was forced by getting torched in the midfield though; can't imagine our clearance numbers were any good.

In the future I'm okay with having less scoring plays starting in the back line if it means we give them less clearances and inside 50s 🤣

They didn't have an answer for our ball movement in the first half

Wonder how much of it was forced by getting torched in the midfield though; can't imagine our clearance numbers were any good.

In the future I'm okay with having less scoring plays starting in the back line if it means we give them less clearances and inside 50s 🤣

Only lost clearances and centre clearances by 4. Broke even in stoppage clearances.

Lost the contested possessions by 15 which maybe what you are alluding to.

IMG_2146.jpeg

Only lost clearances and centre clearances by 4. Broke even in stoppage clearances.

Lost the contested possessions by 15 which maybe what you are alluding to.

View attachment 1766077
I imagine this was evened up in the second half, pretty sure there was a big deficit in the first half, which I worded poorly by leaving out the words "in the first half"
🙈

I get the Rowbottom impact point, but if he is more impactful than Gulden is I will eat my hat

This is a strange take on a positive comment. Regarding the two kicks that both went to GWS players, I do remember them. I remember them because they were within about 90 seconds of each other. The reason people may not remember the times when Fox and Campbell and Florent and Lloyd did the exact same kicks multiple times is because they were spread out over four quarters. The hurried bomb out of defence is one of the most common in footy you might've noticed these days. So what I saw was not a mid making some horrific errors. What I saw was a mid pushing back to help out our defenders and do what needed to be done - and what they likely would've done themselves if their own kicks throughout the night were anything to go by - which was getting it out of there by any means necessary. You might've noticed it proved quite effective all night...

It's also worth noting that were those kicks marked by Swans players, we're likely setting up to go inside 50 and Rowbottom is being praised for clearing it out of the danger zone and moving it on. It's a fine line.

As far as what I think of him as a player I'm prepared to look at his game as a whole. I don't think there's a player on our list who doesn't have average disposal in contested situations. When Gulden or Warner or Florent or whoever else is supposedly "A grade" (like that means anything) is in contested situations they do the exact same things Rowbottom does - plenty of hurried disposals and bombing it forward. If Rowbottom does those things more than those players, it's because he's in contested situations more than those players. Here are the contested possession rates of our mids:

Rowbottom - 68%
Warner - 47%
Parker - 30%
Mills - 30%
Gulden - 19%

So yeah, no s**t he's not going to have as many clean touches as others. But I still think that some of his work in the contest is genius. His little side steps out of trouble, his ability to get arms free in tackles, his vision to find free Swans in heavy congestion, his slick hands to thread the needle in traffic, the reading of the ball drop. I think he does these things better than most, and it's why I like him going for the ball, and why I think when he is involved and doing these things, the team as a whole is better. If he is doing those things then chances are we are winning, and I care more about wins than fans' arbitrary gradings of players.

If you don't agree that's OK.
I was half asleep but I was reacting to the most damaging player.

See I agree with the fox and florent kicks out - and this is the reason why so many here bemoan their disposal. But no one would describe them as our most damaging player

Rowbottom kicks weren’t from super contested situations - they were like the kicks Errol has done in the gf last year and at other times - kicks where he’s in a little more space but the perceived pressure is high.

No one is going to criticise him for winning a contested ball and shovelling and not quite making the perfect handball. Or at least I don’t. I just wouldn’t describe that as the most damaging player - I’d call Parker that if it came to it.

Maybe most fly under the radar or most valuable etc etc

Anyway as with you it’s not really that important asi was merely demurring from the most damaging and trying to think of an underdog type word - most underrated or most consistent or most important because of what it allows the others to do.

For me he’s a lot like Ben matthews - he is dependable which allows others like stu max field to do their thing. Not damaging but useful

A really solid dependable player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back