Autopsy Thankgod for our kicking boots Swans by 11 to keep season alive!

Remove this Banner Ad

we are in a sweet spot where we killed expectations and it's all just bonus almost now

there is a freedom to the side and as fans
You say that now. But wait until the final game where we blow a 25point lead to lose on the siren and miss finals :whistle:

looking at the bigger picture, that's four genuine finals-type wins on the trot since the richmond disappointment (just one of several "what if" games this season)
beating the dogs, comfortably handling fremantle over there, holding on against essendon and absorbing the in-form giants' pressure in what was an intense game from the start last night ... and overcoming hurdles such as the loss of rampe, mcinerney and franklin from last week's game
we still might not make finals but the team is giving us a much better season than it looked like a few months back
and i still maintain the hardships and frustrations of this season will be of huge benefit in the long term
Good post.

Incredible that SMH/Fairfax didn't even cover the game. The two local AFL clubs playing off in a near-elimination final, one of the biggest AFL events on the calendar, and apparently not worth covering. They used AAP copy instead. They had four (!!) people covering/analysing the Bledisloe. Sure, the World Cup is taking a lot of resource but to not bother resourcing this game is a disgrace. I'm sure it will be referenced by the Victorian clique as another reason why not to award the season opener next year to Sydney - if the local media isn't interested, why bother.

Back to the footy: plaudits to the Swans for the way we flipped the switch in the last q, usually the period when we turn up our toes.
Those areas where we'd got smashed in the first three quarters = inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions - we won or nearly squared. I50s 17-13, clearances 14-9, contesteds 39-42 (down 116 to 101 in first three quarters). Good signs.

Last edited:
Watching the replay I just cannot help but marvel at the complete lack of self-preservation by Rowbottom. Pound for pound he is surely one of the most courageous players in the league.

If he could improve his kicking - and Florent is the benchmark here, he's proven it can be done - he could become a genuinely elite mid.

You say that now. But wait until the final game where we blow a 25point lead to lose on the siren and miss finals :whistle:

I don't expect much still

improved. But a lot of issues still

I'm fully expecting Melbourne to break our hearts in the last round fighting for a top 2 spot but just being in contention after the season we've had is enormously satisfying.

We need to recruit well to be a flag chance next year but top 4 wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

Watching the replay I just cannot help but marvel at the complete lack of self-preservation by Rowbottom. Pound for pound he is surely one of the most courageous players in the league.

If he could improve his kicking - and Florent is the benchmark here, he's proven it can be done - he could become a genuinely elite mid.
Yep if he could just scan the field when he's exiting d 50 sometimes instead of dump kicking.. I know it's easier said then done but surely he can practice this at training.. Doesn't look like its registered with the coaches which is strange. Anyway I loved his game last night.

Last edited:
Incredible that SMH/Fairfax didn't even cover the game. The two local AFL clubs playing off in a near-elimination final, one of the biggest AFL events on the calendar, and apparently not worth covering. They used AAP copy instead. They had four (!!) people covering/analysing the Bledisloe. Sure, the World Cup is taking a lot of resource but to not bother resourcing this game is a disgrace. I'm sure it will be referenced by the Victorian clique as another reason why not to award the season opener next year to Sydney - if the local media isn't interested, why bother.

Back to the footy: plaudits to the Swans for the way we flicked the switch in the last q, usually the period when we turn up our toes.
Those areas where we'd got smashed in the first three quarters = inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions - we won or nearly squared. I50s 17-13, clearances 14-9, contesteds 39-42 (down 116 to 101 in first three quarters). Good signs.

Surely our sponsors if if they put ads in can tell Fairfax their ads are going elsewhere, unless they improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to the footy: plaudits to the Swans for the way we flicked the switch in the last q, usually the period when we turn up our toes.

You know that it’s a game that they don’t see as anything when they assign Kelli Underwood to the call.

I can’t help but feel terribly guilty singling her out when Dwayne was banging on about the battle of the bridge nobody cares about but she seemingly gets the nothing matches weekly. This was a big match but GWS aren’t a big draw.

“He’s the black belt of courage”

You know that it’s a game that they don’t see as anything when they assign Kelli Underwood to the call.

I can’t help but feel terribly guilty singling her out when Dwayne was banging on about the battle of the bridge nobody cares about but she seemingly gets the nothing matches weekly. This was a big match but GWS aren’t a big draw.

When Derm is the best commentator on a panel, you know it is going to be a bad time

Good to see Ruck Jesus moving well last night.

After Ladhams’ latest brain explosion in the VFL, a fit RJ remains important.
Not quite sure what to make of his game. He did ok against an in form Briggs but was rag dolled a few times. But agreed, he did seem to move the best I've see in a while last night. If he finishes the season well, most probably will get another year. I vaguely remember him saying he will play until he is no longer wanted.

I think she’s great. No problem with her whatsoever.

In our first game after Buddy retired (sob!) it was so heartening to see our forwards and mids combine so well to kick goals with ease and fluency.

I’m sure we‘ve had a No Buddy game plan worked up for a very long time, but last night was the first time we could go all in on it, and the early signs are very encouraging.

In our first game after Buddy retired (sob!) it was so heartening to see our forwards and mids combine so well to kick goals with ease and fluency.

I’m sure we‘ve had a No Buddy game plan worked up for a very long time, but last night was the first time we could go all in on it, and the early signs are very encouraging.
What'll be nice is if next week McDonald kicks 4 and with Amartey and McLean kicking 1 each. So we aren't being as predictable going forward

Can't complain beating a team that had won 7 in a row prior to last night. Our accuracy in front of goal in the first half gave us a nice advantage for when the rain started bucketing down after HT. Think GWS probably had the better of general play I have to say.

Gulden was sensational.

Florent probably had the worst performance of his career, but turned it around a bit after HT.

Hickey looks shot.

McLean was phenomenal at times. Amartey not sighted after a promising start.

Rowbottom was important in the middle, but he really, really needs to work on his composure.

I think she’s great. No problem with her whatsoever.

There are always apologists for poor
Performers.

The female cricket commentators impress me. Just really good voices to back up the knowledge. Love them. That’s all I’m hoping for for the AFL as it won’t take a lot to show the blokes up.

Kelli is bash at the beach quality IMO
Not bad content but shocking delivery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back