• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Reilly O'Brien

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
So what makes an A grade midfielder in your opinion?

I think with Keane, we could all see the potential from the first games he played in the pre-season. It was bloody obvious to all.

That's why it's so frustrating to see that he's only just gotten the opportunity.
It’s fair to say that the form of:

Keane
Crouch
Nankervis
Borlase

Has come as a total shock and surprise to the coaching group. Otherwise they’d all have played earlier.

They are right under their noses and it took a run of injuries to give them a sniff.

Are we really doing this again?
I’m just asking what does it take to be an A grade midfielder.
For the past 4 games Crouch has hardly put a foot wrong and is arguably one of the in-form mids of the comp. He’s winning the ball and using it well. If his form doesn’t justify being classed as A grade then what does?

For the past 4 games Crouch has hardly put a foot wrong and is arguably one of the in-form mids of the comp. He’s winning the ball and using it well. If his form doesn’t justify being classed as A grade then what does?

It’s either his improved Attitude to always attack and not look backwards and also the players around him. He has looked outstanding in there and it would be diabolical if we offered Sloane a contract but not him.
He has been outstanding in his role and I hope he stays

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If there was ever a year of "make the 8 and anything could happen", it's this year. Collingwood and Port are dropping players like flies. Brisbane fold in finals.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple straight sets exits. Carlton is going to get a hell of an armchair ride too.
Umps are going love Carlton this finals series

It’s fair to say that the form of:

Keane
Crouch
Nankervis
Borlase

Has come as a total shock and surprise to the coaching group. Otherwise they’d all have played earlier.

They are right under their noses and it took a run of injuries to give them a sniff.
The first 3 I will give you. But Borlase is playing as last man standing.

Petracca. Bontompelli. Oliver. Merrett. Neale. Sidebottom. Butters. Dawson. Brayshaw. Rozee. Cripps.

In recent times Martin, Dangerfield, Selwood, Pendlebury. They're A-graders.

Good: Hinge spared serious injury.

Frankly, the rest was pretty bad. Our game plan clearly was to attack, pass, and run. For half the first, it worked exquisitely. Then, when the precision left, they carved us up waltzing from one end to the other. This was the other consequence of our game plan. Their clean centre clearances and our amateurish defence were disgusting. There was no way they looked like losing this match, even in the last.

The final closeness of the scores just makes it all worse. Going all-out attack failed.
We missed Murray big time. I also think if we played Rankine we would have won. Maybe we should have roled the dice with him as the season is over now and we may as well not play him for the last two rounds. The lack of midfield quality has hurt us all year and Nicks unwillingness to play the likes of Pedlar, Soligo, Rachele, Rankine(when playing) through there and instead go with a cooked Sloane and an average mid in Keays is on the coach. Our round 1 2024 midfield mix must be Dawson, Pedlar, Soligo, Schoenberg?, Rachele, Rankine, Laird?. No more Sloane(in the midfield or team), Keays. Crouch will get a better deal at another club which I don't have a problem with. Another taller mid with our top 10 pick is a necessity.

Last edited:
Petracca. Bontompelli. Oliver. Merrett. Neale. Sidebottom. Butters. Dawson. Brayshaw. Rozee. Cripps.

In recent times Martin, Dangerfield, Selwood, Pendlebury. They're A-graders.
So it’s the name that makes an A grade mid? I would have thought it may have been something to do with stats, you know, clearances, disposals, efficiency, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's just that all four are vulnerable and nobody has been dominant. There's a lot of ways you could look at this but for instance last year Geelong's percentage was 144.2%, and their last loss was in round 9. They were just miles ahead of everyone and the obvious team to beat. Their main competition was Melbourne as the reigning premiers with a percentage of 130.5%, but they'd been much shakier with a few losses and some narrow wins in the last couple of months.

This year it's all Melbournes - highest percentage is Collingwood with 126.7% and they just got belted by a bottom four side last week, plus they've had a string of injuries recently and it's yet to be seen how that will impact their finals run. The rest of the top four are Brisbane who have had a loss to Gold Cost and two narrow wins the last three weeks, Melbourne who just lost last night, and Port Adelaide who have lost four in a row. Carlton are probably the form side of the competition in 5th but they probably won't get the double chance, and the rest of the eight is totally open still. It's a very open season.
Doesn’t make it a weak top 4 though, just means there is a more even competition (which is what the AFL want). It’s far more entertaining than just having one clear dominant team.

Laird had 25 CBAs with 2 clearances. Zero from a CBA.

Crouch 23 CBAs with 9 clearances.

Laird's 34 possessions were useless. Especially the two he could have won the game with.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s not a normal Laird game though, he’s usually a very good clearance player, was just an off night.

Last night was not one of them. The commentators even mentioned if we took the time for one more handball before entering the forward 50 we would find better options and hit them lace out. Instead we reverted back to bombing it in there, after the first quarter.
That happened a couple of times (no team is perfect), it still doesn’t mean we aren’t very good at transitioning the ball from D50 to F50.

With Murray , Doedee and perhaps Jones not back till mid season next year we are starting in a worse position than this year .
Sloane seriously needs to retire . We need to be giving his minutes to youngsters .
Crouch has changed his game since being back in the team , it’s obvious he is looking for the forward handball and not the dinky backwards handball that got us and himself in trouble so many times . Should be getting a new contract but the hierarchy is more interested in Sloane .
We must trade in a key back. There's no ifs or butts pardon the pun. I would go for Cox at Freo or make Barrass a decent offer. Doedee looks to be leaving unless we up our offer I would presume plus he's not a key back.

Some hard markers on this board, the lad's gave their all and came up one kick short against a genuine Premiership contender on their home deck with a very inexperienced backline against one of the most dangerous if not the most dangerous forward set ups in the AFL. One ball bounced the other way and we win the game.
Or the umpire pays the mark inside 50 from dawsons 15m kick instead of being the only time that type of thing gets called play on ever and they go down the other end and kick a goal

The top 4 teams are weaker than most other seasons.

We're 3/7 against the top 4 this year and have had good chances of winning all 4 that we lost. That clearly suggests the top 4 isn't that good when we're gonna finish 9-12th

Collingwood are the strongest and even they're looking shaky late in the season not to mention getting injuries to key players.
That doesn’t answer my question, how is it weaker? Isn’t the overall competition just stronger? When there are one or two dominant teams you could say that’s a weaker season as there are a lot more worse teams to easily beat up on. I would say winning this year is harder than most due to how even many teams are.

It’s either his improved Attitude to always attack and not look backwards and also the players around him. He has looked outstanding in there and it would be diabolical if we offered Sloane a contract but not him.
He has been outstanding in his role and I hope he stays

Would also be pretty fresh given the slower smaller bodies of Sanfl, extra breaks at Sanfl
Good time for him to come in

Those names are all A graders. You know they are. Or perhaps not - seeing that you believe Matt Crouch is an AFL A grader.
I’m not arguing they’re not A graders. I asked what makes an A grader and all you could come up with is names.

That happened a couple of times (no team is perfect), it still doesn’t mean we aren’t very good at transitioning the ball from D50 to F50.
It happened for almost three quarters, more than a couple of times. Very frustrating to watch

That’s not a normal Laird game though, he’s usually a very good clearance player, was just an off night.
Laird had a bit of an up and down year. Some good games and quite a few average ones. He's a bit if a stat chaser tbh.

Back