Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is from the AFL website. If we match the offer and he refuses, he needs to enter the National Draft. Delisting himself or entering the pre season draft isn’t an option for him as part of his status as a restricted free agent:

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.
In that instance the club offering the Free Agency contract in question would lose control of the situation if they had anything below pick 1.
Hoping the team/teams holding picks ahead would not pick up the contract would be dangerous and they still need to use their own first pick as a minimum.

They would trade.

The Bulldogs need to match if the compensation pick would not be better than what they could force in a trade.

Of course the simple path is for Tim to just sign with the Dogs

OK, hypothetical discussion, in no way meant to say what will happen. Just a scenario.

English is a restricted free agent.

English can refuse to re-sign with you delist himself, and then nominate for the preseason draft.

So he is still doing the exact same thing as Jack Martin.

If a player nominates for the preseason draft, he can nominate his terms, and the club drafting him HAS to match those terms. So he front loads his contract.

That is why Jack Martin front loaded his terms when he went through the preseason draft.

I think you need to read up on the draft rules buddy. As a restricted Free Agent it’s either move as FA, trade or National Draft.

What you’re suggesting can’t happen.

I agree.

My original post was just to say West Coast wouldn't trade pick one for English, because they don't have to.

Not that I would want English if I were West Coast. But that's a discussion for, not here.
If it was him or JUH $ wise then Marra every time. I really like English and as an early draft ruck coming good it’s great. But I wouldn’t break the bank for Tim, nor do I think anyone else should. He’s no Dean Cox or Max Gawn.

That's what worries me. He's Tim English. We might be looking back and saying "what if Tim English stayed". He is still on track to be a game deciding, generational ruckman.
Yep. Sydney were willing to pay the remainder of Grundy's still substantial contract (other than what Pies are playing) simply because they need a first AFL ruck. And nobody is expecting Grundy to be anywhere near as good for Sydney this year as English should be for us. Simply because you need best rucks.

And there's no suggestion English doesn't want to stay at the club, doesn't like the role or is the kind of person to hunt out the most money possible.

It's just that he's not a Victorian, has more of a personal life with friends and family outside of the club more than other players, and has the market forces factor of the likes of Eagles that have the salary cap room and the logical list balance to offer him eye-watering amounts of money.

That naturally means he doesn't have the instant inclination that may be typical to many other players to sign at the club that drafted him, invested in him and he has friends is, but just because that's true doesn't mean that he doesn't want to remain a Bulldog player.

Yep. Sydney were willing to pay the remainder of Grundy's still substantial contract (other than what Pies are playing) simply because they need a first AFL ruck. And nobody is expecting Grundy to be anywhere near as good for Sydney this year as English should be for us. Simply because you need best rucks.

And there's no suggestion English doesn't want to stay at the club, doesn't like the role or is the kind of person to hunt out the most money possible.

It's just that he's not a Victorian, has more of a personal life with friends and family outside of the club more than other players, and has the market forces factor of the likes of Eagles that have the salary cap room and the logical list balance to offer him eye-watering amounts of money.

That naturally means he doesn't have the instant inclination that may be typical to many other players to sign at the club that drafted him, invested in him and he has friends is, but just because that's true doesn't mean that he doesn't want to remain a Bulldog player.

This is just a hunch Timmy comes across as someone who will look for reasons to stay rather than reasons to go.

PS I may be way off the mark

Darcy to spend more time in the ruck this year after holding his own against Tim in match sim

English asking for big money but the dogs are more focused on getting JUH signed up long term
Good Glad the club are more focused on getting JUH signed by long team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy to spend more time in the ruck this year after holding his own against Tim in match sim

English asking for big money but the dogs are more focused on getting JUH signed up long term
Think English will be surprised what comes back when he tests the free market,

He is a very nice player but is nowhere near dominant enough as a genuine ruck to command a massive deal

Think English will be surprised what comes back when he tests the free market,

He is a very nice player but is nowhere near dominant enough as a genuine ruck to command a massive deal
Some desperate club will pay it.

Some desperate club will pay it.
If he's a FA and West Coast suddenly have a bunch of cap space next year (likely) I can see them front loading a contract for him. They probably wouldn't trade for him so they'd want to blow us out of the water.

Tim was pantsed by a debutant ruck against Geelong. As good as he is, his ruck craft (though much improved) can be vulnerable every so often.

Darcy is behind in years and muscle but has the height to go with Tim and much more aggression. Not surprised he could hold his own.

I still don’t see a place for Lobb and Darcy in the same side. Nothing wrong with giving a game to whichever deserves it week to week. Darcy needs to show he can give us a good run of games without sustaining some rare injury too. But if he’s healthy I could easily see him keeping Lobb out.

Everything I read or have seen on Darcy’s preseason, I just don’t see an outcome in which he’s not in the side round 1 (if fit) to be honest. What that means for Lobb? I’m not sure - I agree best course of action is one or the other on a form basis, but I hope we don’t fall into the trap of trying to squeeze both again.

If he's a FA and West Coast suddenly have a bunch of cap space next year (likely) I can see them front loading a contract for him. They probably wouldn't trade for him so they'd want to blow us out of the water.
His partner just moved to Melbourne. He won't then move to the other side of the country

Smiley, I was talking to an ex player and he told me English deal is the biggest contract he has ever heard of! He said West Coast really really want him and he thinks it’s that big he won’t be able to knock it back!!! Is happy at the dogs but it’s a huge contract.
Gone he thinks.

Everything I read or have seen on Darcy’s preseason, I just don’t see an outcome in which he’s not in the side round 1 (if fit) to be honest. What that means for Lobb? I’m not sure - I agree best course of action is one or the other on a form basis, but I hope we don’t fall into the trap of trying to squeeze both again.

Dead last in the running as of a few weeks ago, he’s got a bit of work to do to play Rd 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back