2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Who claim him? Box Hill or Port Melbourne. Given he was supposed to play with Box Hill in 2024 regardless.

Doesn't really matter I guess hey😂
Port Melbourne can have this one I reckon !

Because both are historically strong clubs with a rich history going back over a hundred years, with most of that history being spent in the VFA/VFL including 14 premierships between the two of them. Both are also less than a decade removed from being aligned to an AFL club, with the Bullants having only returned to being standalone since 2021. Also, lls rival clubs and their supporters would not take kindly to being merged.

You can't just tell them to get lost because they've found themselves in a rough patch. To the fans who still see the VFL and its independent clubs as something important to the game and not just a development program for AFL players, these clubs matter. They shouldn't have to leave just to make way for another AFL reserves team. If the interstate clubs want to be part of the VFL, they should accept sharing it with the standalone clubs who have been here a lot longer than they have.
History doesn’t pay the bills. Coburg seem more invested in their womens program than the mens from what I see. The are making their own bed to a degree. I don’t think the program is where it should be for a VFL standalone, it’s run like a local footy club in many ways…..I just think history is nice, but we don’t need to burdened by it. In my view the tough decisions need to be made, and manipulat8ngvthe draw to find a win for some teams is folly. I don’t expect many share mY view and that’s OK.

History doesn’t pay the bills. Coburg seem more invested in their womens program than the mens from what I see. The are making their own bed to a degree. I don’t think the program is where it should be for a VFL standalone, it’s run like a local footy club in many ways…..I just think history is nice, but we don’t need to burdened by it. In my view the tough decisions need to be made, and manipulat8ngvthe draw to find a win for some teams is folly. I don’t expect many share mY view and that’s OK.
Yep, there's a very good chance that Coburg doesn't win a game again this year. Surely you would pull the pin at that stage.

I understand your view and recognise the need for innovation and change. But to the supporters and volunteers of these clubs, it isn't just history. It's their club. And while I'd much rather see these clubs succeed at a local level rather than disappear completely, dropping down a grade comes with its own risks in my opinion.

I wasn't really involved with Frankston when the club was booted in 2016, but reflecting on that time and seeing the troubles faced by Preston and Coburg make me all too aware of how close we came to losing the club for good. The idea that all the memories I have from the past few years - our big comeback against Carlton, the amazing finals run our women's team had (which was also my first experience of watching the finals with an emotional stake in it) - almost never happened, scares me a fair bit. I'd still follow the club to a local league if it came to that, although I don't like our chances of surviving at that level. But if Frankston were to fold permanently, it would leave a pretty big hole for me. It'd be the end of one of the few things I really look forward to on the weekend, and while I could go and follow a local club (which I plan to do anyway alongside Frankston) it just wouldn't be the same. And I've only closely followed the club for a few years. I can't even pretend to know how much it would hurt the people who've been there for years or even decades. Sorry if I've come off a bit aggro in some of these posts, but I hope this helps explain why I'm so quick to bat for the standalone clubs and why I'll always try to advocate for them.

I understand your view and recognise the need for innovation and change. But to the supporters and volunteers of these clubs, it isn't just history. It's their club. And while I'd much rather see these clubs succeed at a local level rather than disappear completely, dropping down a grade comes with its own risks in my opinion.

I wasn't really involved with Frankston when the club was booted in 2016, but reflecting on that time and seeing the troubles faced by Preston and Coburg make me all too aware of how close we came to losing the club for good. The idea that all the memories I have from the past few years - our big comeback against Carlton, the amazing finals run our women's team had (which was also my first experience of watching the finals with an emotional stake in it) - almost never happened, scares me a fair bit. I'd still follow the club to a local league if it came to that, although I don't like our chances of surviving at that level. But if Frankston were to fold permanently, it would leave a pretty big hole for me. It'd be the end of one of the few things I really look forward to on the weekend, and while I could go and follow a local club (which I plan to do anyway alongside Frankston) it just wouldn't be the same. And I've only closely followed the club for a few years. I can't even pretend to know how much it would hurt the people who've been there for years or even decades. Sorry if I've come off a bit aggro in some of these posts, but I hope this helps explain why I'm so quick to bat for the standalone clubs and why I'll always try to advocate for them.
If only Frankston and the other stand alones had a few more thousand like you and perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unfortunately, there's not enough of people like you for it to be sustainable for much longer, but we'll see soon enough!

If only Frankston and the other stand alones had a few more thousand like you and perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unfortunately, there's not enough of people like you for it to be sustainable for much longer, but we'll see soon enough!
Do you watch the Cats ressies , or are you about the whole VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is making a drive for more members, and in my opinion we're doing the right things to reach that goal. Time will tell if its enough.

Couple of quick questions, sorry if they are dumb.

When are the final list spots locked in for the VFL clubs?

And do I have it correct anyone not named in the VFL Squads or Playing 22 simply go back and play at their local clubs i.e. Premier Div EDFL, etc. Or is there somewhere else these players play?

They actually never get locked in. VFL clubs can make a number of changes throughout the season, most of the list's (especially the AFL aligned ones) won't get released a week or two until round 1.

And do I have it correct anyone not named in the VFL Squads or Playing 22 simply go back and play at their local clubs i.e. Premier Div EDFL, etc. Or is there somewhere else these players play?
Correct!

Usually first week of March. And yep. Most play in either the VAFA Prem A or B, EFNL Premier, NFNL premier, GFL, BFL x2

In Frankston's case most players nominate a club from the MPFNL to play for if they don't get selected for the VFL. Some of them might also play for Souther League clubs since we're on the edge of that league's area.

In Frankston's case most players nominate a club from the MPFNL to play for if they don't get selected for the VFL. Some of them might also play for Souther League clubs since we're on the edge of that league's area.
Eastern Football League clubs Rowville and Noble Park have also been a popular choice of local clubs for Frankston players over the years

looks like Box Hill's media team are claiming him 🤣

As they should, he signed to play there for 2024. Therefore taking a player this late in the SSP period means the initial club he signed for were planning to have him be a big part of their 2024 season. But either way theres a chance he'll still play for Box Hill.😂

At least Port Melbourne will pocket some handsome figure for signing Pat Voss before he was invited to train with Freo for a spot which he ultimatley won.

Last edited:
Tyler Sellars to North. Well deserved if you ask me.
Didn't look out of place at all in the VFL in 2023.
Mykelti Lefau was added to Richmond's list as well today from Richmond VFL.

A good bunch of VFL players picked up over this off-season. Great to see the competition working!

Mykelti Lefau was added to Richmond's list as well today from Richmond VFL.

A good bunch of VFL players picked up over this off-season. Great to see the competition working!
Great to see him get a go after returning to VFL Football in 2022, even though his progress was halted by an ACL rupture. Had a promising first stint at Casey.

Richmonds VFL program continue to produce draftees too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back