NRL NRL 2024 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Sunday 3rd March
Manly-Warringah vs South Sydney (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 13:30)
Sydney Roosters vs Brisbane (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 15:30)

Thursday 7thd March
Newcastle vs Canberra (McDonald Jones Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 8th March
New Zealand vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Go Media Stadium - 18:00)
Melbourne vs Penrith (AAMI Park - 20:05)

Saturday 9th March
Parramatta vs Canterbury-Bankstown (CommBank Stadium - 17:30)
Gold Coast vs St.George-Illawarra (Cbus Super Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 10th March
Dolphins vs North Queensland (Suncorp Stadium - 14:00)

Bye:
Wests Tigers

My remaining round 1 tips

Knights V Canberra - Knights
Warriors V Sharks - Sharks
Storm V Penrith - Storm
Eels V Dogs - Dogs
Titans V Dragons - Titans
Phins V Cowboys - Phins

Lol insecure much?

Rugby League is a global game.

The AFL isn't.

Still doesn't stop most NRL supporters being the most triggered bunch over the size of the sport in our own country.

I hope V'Landys is right and you rake in hundreds of millions of dollars a year extra from the USA, it will finally get you on equal footing in your own country.

We are equal footing to the AFL! Tassie, Adelaide please who cares about those s**t holes!

Over half the population of Australia live in QLD & NSW...

We are equal footing to the AFL! Tassie, Adelaide please who cares about those s**t holes!

Over half the population of Australia live in QLD & NSW...

Haha, and here it is..... NRL supporter bingo.

You forgot about Perth also, you know the town with the wealthiest sporting team of any code in the country? West Coast could buy out all 90% of the NRL teams at once with their cash on hand balances if they wanted to.

You would think that population advantage would translate into $$$ in both a broadcast sense and a revenue sense. But it doesn't and actually doesn't come close.

I think you forgot you are on BF and not on League Unlimited mate.

That's bloody shithouse from Spencer. Both what was said and then the interview with Brent Read after.

If they get the audio, he could miss 10 weeks easily.

Agreed the moron basically admitted it! Throw the book at him.

The NRL can show it's finally got balls by banning him for 5+ weeks!

Haha, and here it is..... NRL supporter bingo.

You forgot about Perth also, you know the town with the wealthiest sporting team of any code in the country? West Coast could buy out all 90% of the NRL teams at once with their cash on hand balances if they wanted to.

You would think that population advantage would translate into $$$ in both a broadcast sense and a revenue sense. But it doesn't and actually doesn't come close.

I think you forgot you are on BF and not League Unlimited mate.

I didn't say Perth was a s**t hole because it'll be the NRL next target (Hopefully).

RL Has a base in WA already.

What's West Coast cash on hand balance? Let's see if the Eagles could buy out the Dogs, Panthers, Parramatta, Broncos etc.
Bulldogs alone is backed by the wealthiest Leagues club in the country it's in the constitution of the Leagues club... Can West Coast buy out the Canterbury Bulldogs leagues club?

I didn't say Perth was a s**t hole because it'll be the NRL next target (Hopefully).

RL Has a base in WA already.

What's West Coast cash on hand balance? Let's see if the Eagles could buy out the Dogs, Panthers, Parramatta, Broncos etc.
Bulldogs alone is backed by the wealthiest Leagues club in the country it's in the constitution of the Leagues club... Can West Coast buy out the Canterbury Bulldogs leagues club?

West Coast has around $120m dollars of cash on hand.

They don't do it backed by a pub chain rorting people of the Western Suburbs of Sydney in pokies either.

I suspect you will see West Coast being the first club in Australia with potentially it's own stadium and it's own TV deal in the next 30-40 years, it has the money to do it.

That's bloody shithouse from Spencer. Both what was said and then the interview with Brent Read after.

If they get the audio, he could miss 10 weeks easily.

F***ing embarrassing as a Roosters fan.

Especially after what was an otherwise bloody great win.

Even if he DIDNT say anything racial, to minimise the whole idea of it the way he has, is just f**king abysmal.

I respect what Robinson has said about process etc and how Mam thinking he’s heard what he’s heard doesn’t mean it was what was said but the whole situation gives player and club an opportunity to handle it the right way, and the wrong way. So far they’re doing it the wrong way.

F***ing embarrassing as a Roosters fan.

Especially after what was an otherwise bloody great win.

Even if he DIDNT say anything racial, to minimise the whole idea of it the way he has, is just f**king abysmal.

I respect what Robinson has said about process etc and how Mam thinking he’s heard what he’s heard doesn’t mean it was what was said but the whole situation gives player and club an opportunity to handle it the right way, and the wrong way. So far they’re doing it the wrong way.
Yep, it's unfortunately taken the gloss of what was a fantastic result.

Totally appreciate what Robbo said but I find it hard to believe Ezra misheard the word 'monkey'.

I also feel for the NRL a bit - they should be commended for what I believe was a pretty successful weekend and yet they finished it by having to investigate this.

They don't do it backed by a pub chain rorting people of the Western Suburbs of Sydney in pokies either.

I suspect you will see West Coast being the first club in Australia with potentially it's own stadium and it's own TV deal in the next 30-40 years, it has the money to do it.

I'm sure Cronulla already owns it's ground!

120 million cash in hand LMFAO

Eagles net surplus in 2023 season of $1,976,154

NRL is terrified!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, I suppose it’s tough to respond in an on field interview without admitting guilt but it was pretty s**t (all good fun or whatever he said).
Yeah was something along the lines of 'it's all fun and games on the field'.

It was as close to admitting he said it without actually saying that. Otherwise I'm sure he'd be trying to defend whatever he said.

Mam was in tears from it, Spencer has got this one seriously wrong.

Manly and the Rabbits seemed to make it look a lot better (that was a very skillful game) but the broncos and roosters made it look like a real slog.
Thought the defence was much better in the second game, quite a few tries came through the middle/edge in the first game.

AJ did score a try but I think there was quite a few moments where had the game been on one of our fields, a try would've been scored by the wingers. Tupou alone had a few of these.

Yeah was something along the lines of 'it's all fun and games on the field'.

It was as close to admitting he said it without actually saying that. Otherwise I'm sure he'd be trying to defend whatever he said.

Mam was in tears from it, Spencer has got this one seriously wrong.
I’ve got a very low bar for the aptitude of rugby league players but that was bad even by those low standards.

Piss poor, also, in a weird way it’s even more bizarre it came from a player who isn’t white. Spencer would surely have had racial slurs in his time, you’d think he’d be more aware of it.

Thought the defence was much better in the second game, quite a few tries came through the middle/edge in the first game.

AJ did score a try but I think there was quite a few moments where had the game been on one of our fields, a try would've been scored by the wingers. Tupou alone had a few of these.
Yeh that’s true. I remember thinking Gagais try from the Mitchell bullet if that’s on a full sized field Gagais strolling over untouched but on this field he still needed to beat a man.

Ultimately it looked a little off for wider shots but I don’t think it impacted the quality of the game.

Manly and the Rabbits seemed to make it look a lot better (that was a very skillful game) but the broncos and roosters made it look like a real slog.

Maybe it’s my bias as a) a roosters fan and b) a former forward but I preferred the second game.

For most of it the level of control was higher - for the first half hour there was only one handling error across both sides - the defence was tighter and more brutal, and the teams looked more organised. As they began to get gassed it opened up a bit but there was some fantastic scramble from both sides.

To me the first game looked messy and a bit disorganised defensively

Maybe it’s my bias as a) a roosters fan and b) a former forward but I preferred the second game.

For most of it the level of control was higher - for the first half hour there was only one handling error across both sides - the defence was tighter and more brutal, and the teams looked more organised. As they began to get gassed it opened up a bit but there was some fantastic scramble from both sides.

To me the first game looked messy and a bit disorganised defensively
Yeh it definitely did but I think that made for a better spectacle and ultimately negated the field dimension issues.

I thought both games would be an absolute slog (wingers would be negated and no one would kick because of the small in goal) but the first game was nothing like that at all, the second game felt more of a slog (purely from a spectacle pov).

Hats off to all four teams in the end, it was a very enjoyable watching afternoon even if my boys got beaten.

I’ve got a very low bar for the aptitude of rugby league players but that was bad even by those low standards.

Piss poor, also, in a weird way it’s even more bizarre it came from a player who isn’t white. Spencer would surely have had racial slurs in his time, you’d think he’d be more aware of it.
Yeah likewise. I'm not expecting a whole lot of intelligence but that was just crazy.

Yep and would likely have known just how much that can hurt. Which almost makes this worse. I was interested in Latrell's post saying "typical". Wonder if it's known in playing circles that Spencer has form with this.

Will be interesting to see how the NRL goes with this one. Just has to be a huge sentence if they can corroborate it.

Yeh that’s true. I remember thinking Gagais try from the Mitchell bullet if that’s on a full sized field Gagais strolling over untouched but on this field he still needed to beat a man.

Ultimately it looked a little off for wider shots but I don’t think it impacted the quality of the game.
There were a handful of kicks that went dead in the second game but I think you're right, it didn't impact the quality of the game at all.

Perhaps kept the points total lower in the second game but you can live with that as a one off.

I enjoyed the Vegas round, the crowds were great and a pretty good atmosphere.
Something really interesting would be the college athletes who don't make the NFL trialling out in the NRL. There'd be a heap of athletes who without the NFL could make a decent living playing NRL if they were open to it.

From a game perspective, I tipped Manly and the Broncos.

Brisbane really disappointed me, I know it's only one game but they had no answers, they're my premiership tip so I reckon they'll turn it around back in Aus, but I thought we'd see a statement game from them. Also, I don't know why you play Cobbo in the Centres, he was a 20 try season winger last year, I think he provides a huge scoring weapon on the wing that is missed if he's playing more central.

Last edited:

Imagine if it was a white player that said it.

Rugby League WA can gather the money without West Coasts help in weeks really

Only reason no NRL club in WA is because the NRL have said no. Not because WA doesnt have the money to do it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back