Game Day Round 1 vs. Sydney, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 15/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Brodie or DC are overly fond of jumping at the centre bounces. So will probably neutralize each other there
The big advantage Brodie may potentially have is his ability to cover the ground in general play

I wouldn’t put it in the same words…..but largely agree. I think a better way to say it is, Murphy will be back if and when he’s back, anD until then there’s no point speculating or complaining that he’s missing. In the meantime it’s up to Dean and maybe Frampton to fill the void. It’s also reasonable to assume Howe will need to be managed all year.

EFA

Could always do with more goals - but any ppl thinking that the bloke who came second in our goalkicking last year(yes, still relevant) is in any danger at the selection table anytime soon should probably take themselves off to the Shop of Uppercuts.
The player who was second in goal kicking in 2022 struggled to get a game in 23.

Don’t disagree that Elliott provides more than his goals though.

I was at the GWS game and one thing that stood out and frustrated the hell out of me was our stagnant key forwards. None of them lead strongly or repeatedly to the ball carriers. They were flat-footed all night, which forced us to bomb it in mindlessly to the advantage of GWS’s excellent (and widely underrated) key defenders, or to chip it short and wide to a small forward or midfielder for a long, low-percentage shot at goal.

At the other end of the ground, Hogan, Cadman and Callum Brown were always on the move, leading and blocking for each other in the central corridor, which kept our defenders uncomfortable and resulted in many i50 marks and goals.

When it comes to forward line function and tactics, we were totally out-coached on the night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On TV it just looked like they were super organised defensively and when we did try to spot someone up we weren't good enough to - J Daicos being the exception a couple of times. I was a bit worried that the interrupted preseason may have left him struggling a bit this season - but he's just bloody good.

I don't think the loss was as bad as many others. They were really organised defensively and we were a bit of a shambles - giving up uncontested stuff when we shouldn't have - yet we still probably had a similar number of chances as them, but whereas they kicked the lights out, we couldn't put itl through the big sticks.

They will probably pick JFN again over Fin this week. We haven't really gone for like for like replacements in the last 2 years. The only time we do it is when we lose a tall. It has nothing to do with what position they play.
I doubt Noble will get dropped - I think it more likely that he moves into the 22.

Unless they've got him up and running in a position other than midfield, I think it'll require Mitchell getting dropped to bring in Finn - or one of them as sub.

On TV it just looked like they were super organised defensively and when we did try to spot someone up we weren't good enough to - J Daicos being the exception a couple of times. I was a bit worried that the interrupted preseason may have left him struggling a bit this season - but he's just bloody good.

I don't think the loss was as bad as many others. They were really organised defensively and we were a bit of a shambles - giving up uncontested stuff when we shouldn't have - yet we still probably had a similar number of chances as them, but whereas they kicked the lights out, we couldn't put itl through the big sticks.
Looked the same way at the ground.

It’s hard to judge the players individually depending on what the instructions were but I noticed Ash Johnson and Mason Cox trying to make quick short leads from the square and would quickly double back to square once they were ignored.

GWS blocked most of leading lanes in the centre and I think we wanted to keep the wider spaces open for our smalls to lead into so the keys were stuck making those short leads that got ignored all game.

If our players could have pulled the trigger a bit quicker on those leads it would have given those blokes a chance but the GWS players also put on a lot of pressure up the field and effectively corral our players into making poor kicks aside from Josh.

Upon further reflection I think we will line up like the below.

IN: R.McInnes, F.Macrae, J.Howe
OUT: A.Johnson, O.Markov, C.Dean

I think the backline will look a lot more settled with Howe there. I still have a lot of belief in Dean, however he will benefit from getting more games under his belt at VFL level. Oleg is unlucky, I think he will be in a position battle with Noble & Hosk all season with 1-2 of those 3 getting picked each week.

1710286012811.png

So, if selected, we can't judge McInnes after one game, but apparently it's open slather to do so on Johnson.... gotcha.
Does the lack of impact against Richmond not count for some reason? Does him displaying the same old lack of intensity not count because it’s a new season?
I’d like to see Reef be given the opportunity that AJ has been over the past few years rather than being the occasional sub and then dropped.

Was in Rd 3 actually against Carlolton who we the pumped. Was there and it was a glorious night and it was before the players came out.

I was there too, and it was a good night.

Jarrad Blair had a good night too IIRC. Kicked a few goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good kings don't make their men suffer for them if they can. I think we need to settle this game one on one and save the suffering of 44 other men.

Daicos vs Gulden

120 minutes, winner takes all.
How noble of you to willingly sacrifice one of your best soldiers knowing he has no hope of victory.

Does the lanyard still work OK?
I think this may be for those who opted out of the actual membership card & chose online membership instead. Hope so, because I hate having to rely on my phone. Always stresses me out something will happen to my phone & I won't have access to a ticket, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back