Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney and Geelong have points of difference from Melbourne based clubs.
Sydney have their academy and a non fishbowl environment for those looking for that lifestyle.
Geelong also offer an alternative lifestyle but still only an hour from town.
They also have the Falcons as a kind of academy with many of their players returning to Geelong after their initial drafting.
Both clubs have their own stadiums and are very well run, successful seasons are the norm for players at these clubs …

You just can't cut too deep, we have already lost so much experience the last few years, Grigg, Caddy, Houli, Edwards, Cotch, Riewoldt & Lambert.

Grigg retired in 2019. It’s a bit of a stretch to be including him in that list.

Grigg retired in 2019. It’s a bit of a stretch to be including him in that list.
Caddy was a bit part player after 2019 too.

Since that marker of post-2019 Geelong has turned over it's two central KPDs (Taylor and Henderson), it's creative forward flanker (Ablett), most experienced figure head midfielder (Selwood), gained and then lost an elite midfielder (Kelly), wingmen 1 (grabbed for 3 seasons: Smith) and 2 (Menegola), with it's small defender (Bews) phased out and a couple of other role players gone. And practically surviving without the 2020/2022 BnF midfielder (Guthrie) for what will be 1.5 seasons. Rohan could be kept out and Tuohy easily pushed out.

There's more regeneration in Geelong's best 22/23 players over the past 5 years than there has been for Richmond.

FMD, 63rd reincarnation!!
Bored Nick Kyrgios GIF by Tennis TV

Don't think people actually realise how much list turnover there has been.
To be fair most people don't really pay attention to teams that aren't the one they follow so they don't really see how much we have or other clubs for that matter transition lists every year.

I would say most people watch Geelong only when they play them and maybe a few other times when we are on Friday night , so probably 2-4 times a year.

Don't think people actually realise how much list turnover there has been.
It's been masked by the fact that the Cats have only missed finals twice in the past 17 years despite effectively turning over two teams

Future is bright in Geelong

Best players last week were

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

Good news is c Guthrie will be back soon

The cliff is coming and it’s gunna look like the Grand Canyon

Are moderators allowed to troll openly ?

And has the rule about not being allowed to ignore list moderators been reviewed ?
Your schtick is incredibly annoying.

You are free to report my opinion on the state of your list as trolling if you like, I'm actually being conservative on where I think your list is heading on the mainboard

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

No mention of Holmes or Dempsey?

How come? Didn’t watch the game, or just decided to leave them out of it and hope nobody would notice?

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

You seem to have missed Ollie 'better than the entirety of Richmond's youf' Dempsey, amongst others!

GI8Bh3cagAAWoWo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

You guys have fallen off the cliff already.
Can Bolton even become a consistent footballer or is he a one year wonder?
Is Gibcus the future or a heavily overrated top 10 pick?
Taranto is still a woeful user and probably only ever matches a similar output to that of Prestia (which is good but nothing special).
Lynch is injury prone and already on the slide.

At least we have guys elevating their game.

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

You must have missed the rising star nomination for Ollie Dempsey, the 6 coaches votes for Max Holmes, and the key performance of Tanner Bruhn.

Tuohy was among our quieter players so pretty obviously you just had a very brief look at a match report to see if any older guys were named in our best and then added his name to the list rather than actually watching the game. I’m surprised you didn’t put Hawkins’ name in there.

You’ve been peddling this same cliff bullshit for 8 years now and you still haven’t been right.

Then again you’re up to 9,102 posts and you’re yet to have an accurate one so why start now.

No mention of Holmes or Dempsey?

How come? Didn’t watch the game, or just decided to leave them out of it and hope nobody would notice?

blaisee seeing as you’ve since bemoaned people not answering questions asked, I figure you must’ve missed this one.

So I’m bumping it for you, please answer at your earliest convenience.

You guys have fallen off the cliff already.
Can Bolton even become a consistent footballer or is he a one year wonder?
Is Gibcus the future or a heavily overrated top 10 pick?
Taranto is still a woeful user and probably only ever matches a similar output to that of Prestia (which is good but nothing special).
Lynch is injury prone and already on the slide.

At least we have guys elevating their game.
Off all the things you could level at Richmond you pick those.
Bolton has been a very good player for years, can do the freakish and our go to player in the midfield. Ok start to the year.
Gibcus plays 18 games in his first, looses the second and now 3rd year to injury and all of a sudden he's over rated.
Taranto is not a good user granted, but he was a bull last year at, started quietly but we are 2 games in.
Prestia has been a gun, one of the most under rated players I can remember, but ordinary for a couple of years I'll concede.
Lynch was the best or near enough the best forward in the league in '22. Loses a season to injury, first game in a year and on the slide.

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

That just tells me how s**t Saints are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Danger
Duncan
Tuoy
Blicavs
Kolo
Cameron
Stewart

I'm gutted that I didn't get to reply before his holiday.

3 of the 6 Cats to earn coaches votes were 20, 21 and 28 years old. Bruhn at 22 years old was considered unlucky (coin flip between him and Atkins).

7 out of the top 12 disposal winners for the Cats were 21-28 year olds.

7 out of the top 14 score involvement winners for the Cats were 20-26 year olds.

Seems like an even contribution from the 18-23, 24-29 and 30+ year old cohorts to me.

It'll be interesting to see Richmond's selections this week. 2 key defenders and a mid out.

Surely if Tom Brown is ever going to make it he has to be picked this week given the defenders out.

I'm especially interested in what they do about Ross and Dow.

Ross is so fumbly, isn't damaging with the ball and gets torched defensively. 6th year in the system and he's fringe at best. Surely there are better options for the future? Judson Clarke for one looked so much more classy last year.

Dow is a very good handballer so at least has an obvious strength. But he has zero physicality. So the whiff of some body contact and he becomes uncompetitive. In 2 games as an inside mid with 75% game time he's managed 22 touches, 0 centre clearances, 3 tackles and 5 score involvements. That would be poor output for a single game for an inside mid let alone 2.

If it were me I'd put a line through these two. Surely there are young players who show more than 5-6 year players who are still deeply flawed. Time to see what Sonsie, Banks, Coulthard, Clarke, etc can provide.
Tom Brown should come in, he has been excellent in the vfl practise matches.

Disagree about Ross. He's probably one of our cleanest and most reliable kicks. I do think he's a midfielder, not a wingman though.

Clarke had shoulder surgery in the off season otherwise he most likely would've been playing seniors. He'll be in soon, maybe this week.

Dow is a very good distributor by hand but skinny and weak. Make or break few weeks coming up for him. I don't see him making it.

I expect Kane McAuliffe to come in for Prestia. He's been the standout in practise matches for us. Huge wraps on him.

Sonsie had a great pre season but has been suspended so will probably get a a week or two in the reserves to get some touch.

I think put team will look a fair bit different in 10 weeks time than it has the first 2 rounds.

I'm gutted that I didn't get to reply before his holiday.

3 of the 6 Cats to earn coaches votes were 20, 21 and 28 years old. Bruhn at 22 years old was considered unlucky (coin flip between him and Atkins).

7 out of the top 12 disposal winners for the Cats were 21-28 year olds.

7 out of the top 14 score involvement winners for the Cats were 20-26 year olds.

Seems like an even contribution from the 18-23, 24-29 and 30+ year old cohorts to me.
Was about to say, biggest contributors for the Cats outside Danger were all young blokes. Dempsey won the Round 1 Rising Star nom FFS lol

No idea what old mate blaisee is on about?

Back