Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Could someone upload video of Will hayward hit in Wardlaw, may 20, 2023. Enough similarities in my opinion. He got off - won't be a similarity.

Of the Hayward incident, the AFL said: "As the ball is in the air, Hayward and Wardlaw both jump from opposite directions to contest and high contact is made by Hayward on Wardlaw. It was the view of the MRO that Hayward's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

He's gone...why aren't we talking about how the umps allowed a mark in row F leading to an Essendon goal. Just makes out sport look so amatuer compared to big sport internationally. Shouldnt happen.

Maynard rule makes this an open and shut case of multiple weeks - the exact number to be determined - despite all the back and forth we will have to hear from people who can't accept reality.

You can disagree with the Maynard rule, but it exists. He simply won't get let off.
Posters on here need to acquaint themselves with the rule changes the AFL made over the summer in response to the Maynard hit. Stuff that has got off in the past is now sanctionable.

The new Maynard rule got SPP 4 weeks - the standard has been set

Big Pete got caught up in the new Essendon Edge BS

Last edited:
That’s literally just Peter Wright’s marking action when he’s going for a chest mark. Football act, was called play on. Maybe Cunningham should get tf out of the big fellas way…

If Maynard got off then Wright gets off. Thats all their really is to is. Unless they admit they made a mistake with the Maynard one

They did, they changed the rules.

It doesn't matter whether he was contesting for the ball, or bracing for impact, or whatever. I don't think it was his intent to lay Cunnigham out, but he did everything else wrong. He left the ground, he led with his shoulder and elbow, he missed the ball, he made heavy contact to the head and he knocked someone out. The AFL have rightly decided that the "but it's a contact sport, he only had a split second to act, etc." defences are irrelevant here: all those things that Wright did have been clearly defined as big no-nos and that the offending player is culpable irrespective of their intent.

His one saving grace, which makes it a lesser offence than the Webster incident, is that the ball was in the vicinity, but there's no way he gets away with fewer than 4 weeks. The AFL have been pretty blunt that the onus is on the players to avoid engaging in acts that are likely to result in heavy contact with opponents' heads, and they're going to keep handing out heavy suspensions until the players get the message.
I think this post sums it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could someone upload video of Will hayward hit in Wardlaw, may 20, 2023. Enough similarities in my opinion. He got off - won't be a similarity.
The Hayward one was from a handball. He needed to jump to contest the ball and I could see why they let him off, but it could have went either way. Did Wright have another option rather than choose to leave the ground and bump? Why not try to stay on your feet and put a fist on the ball? Reckon he is in trouble.

He'll get his whack, I think it's worth 2, but suspect he gets 3 after visiting the tribunal.

He's not a dirty player at all, he's feeling like dirt about it for sure, good man is Pete.
Agreed. I don't think there was anything malicious in it and he seemed genuinely upset and apologetic about it toward Cunningham after the game. Hope it's only 2.

Of the Hayward incident, the AFL said: "As the ball is in the air, Hayward and Wardlaw both jump from opposite directions to contest and high contact is made by Hayward on Wardlaw. It was the view of the MRO that Hayward's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

Doesn’t matter. It was last season and the tribunal doesn’t need to consider previous season’s precedents.

I expect it will be graded careless, high contact and probably severe contact given that Cunningham left the game. So I expect it to be referred to the tribunal.

I thought the impact was more clumsy, and unlike the SPP and Webster incidents, were they went to bump (as much as Port tried to prove SPP wasn’t) Wright miss-timed/got out of shape once he left the ground in a dynamic game.

Still the player is responsible for the outcome. So I can see the AFL asking for 4, which is mitigated to 3. Which given current “community standards” is probably about right.

Can't see how anybody can argue he was protecting himself. Consider this scenario:

You're going for a run on the footpath. A kid runs out from behind a fence chasing a ball. You have a split second to react. Do you:

1) Tuck your shoulder in to protect yourself.
2) Put your hands out and try to cushion the impact.

Nobody is going to mow the kid over using their shoulder.

Wright will get 3-4 weeks and that's just the way it is in the current climate. It wasn't a dog act, he wasn't sniping, he got him high after bracing a split second before impact when realising Cunningham was coming across his path to the ball he was trying to mark.

The carry on by Sydney, in particular Heeney and Papley after this game is pathetic. Wright will get weeks, get over it. There will be a situation during the next couple of seasons where a Sydney player does a similar action to what Wright has done. It's done on instinct and it's hard to change behaviours of players overnight after being taught a different way for so long.

The only other incident of any note was a late collision from Draper into a Sydney opponent which rightly recieved a 50m penalty. Sydney and their supporters think they can do no wrong.

I don’t know what anyone expected him to do. If he throws his arms out like some suggested Cunningham shatters his ribs. He was going for a chest mark and turned to protect at the last second.

Back