Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A real blood bath is the O’Reilly trade, not many others come close.

Check the head to head record and get back to me champ.
Premiership Donut Dockers are Carlton's bunnies 🐰🤣

Keep reaching for 30 year old trades while we keep doing you in the last minute and collect your salty purple tears 😭

A real blood bath is the O’Reilly trade, not many others come close.

Check the head to head record and get back to me champ.
The 30 years where Carlton have won one premiership to Fremantle’s zero
The period where Carlton have had the worst performance in their history and Freo lead the head to head 21-20 throughout this time and are 1-4 in recent matches ?
That’s possibly the shittest rebuttal I’ve seen on Bigfooty.

The period where Carlton have had the worst performance in their history and Freo lead the head to head 21-20 throughout this time and are 1-4 in recent matches ?

So once Freo came into the comp and salary cap rules were enforced Carlton has had its worst period in its history? What a coincidence :rolleyes: You still got caught for cap cheating and they had to change the rules because you still found a loophole with the Visy ambassadorship. It's no coincidence that a team that based its succes on paper bags has really struggled. And i mean all time worst level of struggling.

1712466401719.png
So I don't understand the arrogance at all. The smart ass comments in this thread from Blues supporters are deadset ridiculous.

So once Freo came into the comp and salary cap rules were enforced Carlton has had its worst period in its history? What a coincidence :rolleyes: You still got caught for cap cheating and they had to change the rules because you still found a loophole with the Visy ambassadorship. It's no coincidence that a team that based its succes on paper bags has really struggled. And i mean all time worst level of struggling.

View attachment 1952734
So I don't understand the arrogance at all. The smart ass comments in this thread from Blues supporters are deadset ridiculous.
And were penalised for that - think that was equally as impactful for the shockingly poor performance of the football club since.
Freo have matched Carlton step for step during this time - Kudos.
Anyway this is about the rebuilds since that period. Carlton probably in front at this stage.

View attachment 1952734
Yeah we struggled to a prelim last season and now struggling with 15 wins from the last 17 games, what happened before that we don't give a stuff about but thanks for the history lesson.

Congratulations to Carlton for n the win against Freo yesterday. I was fairly underwhelmed by their midfield. It is not good enough to win a premiership IMO (that’s even with Walsh coming back in).
They need to recruit a gun mid or 2 this off-season to really have a crack.

Freo are progressing pretty well but are one really good small forward short (now that Walters is slowing down).

We don’t have a positive head to head against many teams, but I’m sure glad we still maintain this one.
Premiership Donut Dockers are Carlton's bunnies 🐰🤣

Keep reaching for 30 year old trades while we keep doing you in the last minute and collect your salty purple tears 😭
VFL flags don’t count unless you’re talking with someone that was in that league. I guess you could count the 1995* flag in our first season, but we all know how that was achieved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t have a positive head to head against many teams, but I’m sure glad we still maintain this one.

VFL flags don’t count unless you’re talking with someone that was in that league. I guess you could count the 1995* flag in our first season, but we all know how that was achieved.
Your team obviously wishes it was Carlton by calling itself the Dockers 🤣 The most corrupt brown paper bag dominant industry on the face of the Earth. Still no silverware though 🤣

Probably would've won yesterday if you didn't rip off Dodgeball and wear Globo Gym's tights. Everyone knows the baddies never win.

joan baez duck GIF

In 30 years or however long your winless club has been around that’s all you’ve got on us.

Meanwhile we’ve had purple heart breaking wins and it’s been a bloodbath at the trade table.

You’ve been so generous both on and off the field that Fremantle is pretty much my 2nd team.
Coming from someone who supports a winless club since we’ve been in the competition. Oh and there was all the systemic cheating your lot did.

I don’t get the arrogance towards us from Carlton fans. Since we have been in the competition we have achieved at least as much as the blues.

Aside from that, you have a great spine and strong midfield. I expect you guys to go far this season. Anything can happen in finals but a prelim would be the minimum expectation imo. I think we will make the eight and be a lot better next year.

I don’t get the arrogance towards us from Carlton fans. Since we have been in the competition we have achieved at least as much as the blues.
It's not arrogance. We as supporters are merely bemused that we're made out to be the big bad evil bogeyman of the AFL by your mob when almost none of us have any contempt for your club whatsoever.

I see Freo supporters saying they hate us more than WCE nowadays, Cripps is apparently the biggest thug in the competition, we've got Colin Young in our back pocket destroying your club from the inside by trading us your players etc etc... it's completely laughable.

We've been shite for 20 years and somehow your fans have come to despise us. Reality is Carlton fans barely care about Freo because we have no bad blood with your club, it's like us and Sydney... There's no rivalry or animosity, they are just a club we vs once or twice a year and try to beat.

Dismissing the bad blood and growing animosity towards us is not arrogance. It's just not caring for it.

If we were talking about our rivalry with Collingwood or Essendon, then that's a different story entirely.

It's not arrogance. We as supporters are merely bemused that we're made out to be the big bad evil bogeyman of the AFL by your mob when almost none of us have any contempt for your club whatsoever.

I see Freo supporters saying they hate us more than WCE nowadays, Cripps is apparently the biggest thug in the competition, we've got Colin Young in our back pocket destroying your club from the inside by trading us your players etc etc... it's completely laughable.

We've been shite for 20 years and somehow your fans have come to despise us. Reality is Carlton fans barely care about Freo because we have no bad blood with your club, it's like us and Sydney... There's no rivalry or animosity, they are just a club we vs once or twice a year and try to beat.

Dismissing the bad blood and growing animosity towards us is not arrogance. It's just not caring for it.

If we were talking about our rivalry with Collingwood or Essendon, then that's a different story entirely.

That's how I feel about Carlton - which is probably a good place to be.

On Cripps - he gets umpired differently and does the occasional late hit. I don't think he is a thug, just not very likeable. but no one cares about that. He has been a great player.

Your team obviously wishes it was Carlton by calling itself the Dockers 🤣 The most corrupt brown paper bag dominant industry on the face of the Earth. Still no silverware though 🤣

Probably would've won yesterday if you didn't rip off Dodgeball and wear Globo Gym's tights. Everyone knows the baddies never win.

joan baez duck GIF
Some credit due for the reference there.

Shame the cringey use of emoji’s cancelled it out.

That's how I feel about Carlton - which is probably a good place to be.

On Cripps - he gets umpired differently and does the occasional late hit. I don't think he is a thug, just not very likeable. but no one cares about that. He has been a great player.
Giving your opinion of Cripps and some sort of umpiring bias, do you believe these umpiring interpretations to be only positive? Eg; Cripps is advantaged by the umpiring? Or is there a negative aspect to it also?

As an example, I’ve seen a lot of posts outlying Cripps has a penchant for throwing the ball and this is not called. Is this an example of “umpired differently” that you suggest?

If so, is there a negative aspect that you see also? As an example, when he is consistently held at the contest whilst not in possession of the ball?

Are these both inferences that you make about Cripp’s being “umpired differently” ?

Giving your opinion of Cripps and some sort of umpiring bias, do you believe these umpiring interpretations to be only positive? Eg; Cripps is advantaged by the umpiring? Or is there a negative aspect to it also?

As an example, I’ve seen a lot of posts outlying Cripps has a penchant for throwing the ball and this is not called. Is this an example of “umpired differently” that you suggest?

If so, is there a negative aspect that you see also? As an example, when he is consistently held at the contest whilst not in possession of the ball?

Are these both inferences that you make about Cripp’s being “umpired differently” ?

I think like all strong players he gets held sometimes and it isn't called. A far more egregious example was that Sandi rarely got frees for chopping the arms, yet it happened multiple times per game.

Does he throw regularly, yes. He also gets away with holding the ball regularly. It goes both ways, and he gets calls others wouldn't. Both can be true.

Can the dockers keep playing this Ross Lyon type football to stay in games, is it sustainable for 22+ games?

Would it make more sense when going up against a side with 2 Coleman medalists and a great running brigade, when one of your 2 tall defenders is playing his 3rd game & 3 of your own key forwards are 20 years old to get into a shootout?

Got to work with what you have. I think the way we played the game was spot on. Denied Carlton easy entry & created opportunities on the turnovers. The fact we couldn’t put them away just confirms how limited our forward setup is.

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right way to play that game. Should we play North Ball & go down by 10 goals instead so people in the media can talk about how young & exciting we are or try to win with the 22 we can field?

I think like all strong players he gets held sometimes and it isn't called. A far more egregious example was that Sandi rarely got frees for chopping the arms, yet it happened multiple times per game.

Does he throw regularly, yes. He also gets away with holding the ball regularly. It goes both ways, and he gets calls others wouldn't. Both can be true.
Which would suggest on balance that “differently” doesn’t mean favourably?

Similar to free kicks across a game, on balance, one not being any more influential on the outcome of a game than another?

Using the example of Cotteral’s goal and a mark that was paid that most likely shouldn’t have been as it was touched? But is this cancelled out by the out of bounds free kick that wasn’t paid and so on?

Both Clubs tracking well for a sustained period of competitive football against any other side. I think Carlton stole the game yesterday not because. of one missed call ( who is to say that Carlton wouldn't have scored from a play on call anyway)...rather, I think Fremantle beat Carlton pretty much in every stat one cares to look at nd (typically) this would indicate a win.

On the other side of the equation - Carlton were able to increase field pressure in the final quarter and dominate field position in the last 15 minutes - in a close game that is a key performance measure to consider.

Back