Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fog had a quiet day but he got some terrible service.

Soligo looks like he might be the genuine gun mid we have been crying out for.

Back line will be fine, just need time and experience.

Cook and Nank both good, must persist.

I have come to terms with this being another development year. As long as Nicks persists with promising kids, gives them responsibility, let’s them attack, I will accept the results.

When you look at our experience profile, we are still a couple of years away.

In a pleasing win like that, it's worth thinking about which players were poor today.

Jones, McHenry, Gollant, Fogarty, Butts all poor. Dawson, Cook, Hamill, Smith and O'Brien average.

If we can win with that many players being average or worse, we can afford to roll the dice on some youth.

From that list, you've got to back in Dawson and Fogarty. O'Brien or Strachan makes no real difference. Cook has youth on his side and was good in the first half. Butts is just keeping Murray's spot warm.

Smith, Jones, McHenry, Hamill and Gollant - we should be actively searching for their replacements. We have plenty of young players selected early in the draft. Give them a go.

For what it's worth, I know Keays had a good game today, but I've liked him up forward for a long time now. I think he stays in that role until we find someone much better.

This may be an unpopular view, but I don't think that individually any of Crouch, Laird or Berry have been poor this year. It's just that collectively, they don't work. They're too one-positional, too one-pace, too similar, and they're preventing us from using our more dynamic midfielders as often as we should. The coaches were willing to move Dawson around today, and they've always moved Berry around a fair bit. They should be doing that for Laird as well. Rotate Laird between midfield and half-back, Berry between midfield and wing/forward, and Dawson all over the ground, and that suddenly opens up opportunities for the likes of Soligo, Rankine, Rachele, etc to have stints in the midfield. Or in Soligo's case, becoming a permanent fixture there. With all the changing personnel we become more dynamic and less predictable.

Also, we should be doing whatever it takes to get Dawson out of the engine room, and to the outside. Unsurprisingly his best effort in the midfield today came when he wasn't actually in the contest, and could instead receive the ball in space.

Nankervis should play from now on. Has proven his worth and is already ahead of the likes of Jones and McHenry in that wing role.
Bit harsh on Jones to call his game poor. Okay first half and really a good second half I think. Second half was 12 disposals, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 turnover and would have been a goal too except it was paid advantage to Gollant's soccer. He had one shocking pass in the first half but in the broader context of his whole game it was a blip. Hard to see how Cook or Hamill were better for example, and I think Hamill was fine.

Dawson's game was alright as well I think, played a bit of a different role and attended less CBAs than he normally would, and when he was there he was running with Cripps quite a bit. Not going to get votes but happy enough with that.

Bit harsh on Jones to call his game poor. Okay first half and really a good second half I think. Second half was 12 disposals, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 turnover and would have been a goal too except it was paid advantage to Gollant's soccer. He had one shocking pass in the first half but in the broader context of his whole game it was a blip. Hard to see how Cook or Hamill were better for example, and I think Hamill was fine.
He made some poor errors

BUT

He then went in and worked hard to make up for them - so tick

Oh the big good.....Carlton didn't threaten the intercept mark record.
We should consider using Dawson more up forward on the opposition's marking defender... like Stewart next time we play the Cats.

I have come to terms with this being another development year. As long as Nicks persists with promising kids, gives them responsibility, let’s them attack, I will accept the results.

another development year.

2020 - development year
2021 - development year
2022 - development year
2023 - screw development, finals or bust
2024 - finals or bust, oh wait...........development year.

I think I see a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll call it now. Before the bye we're going to have people putting the fork into Fog saying he's a bust, we should delist him, or trade im.

Then once Thilthorpe returns and he becomes the stay at home forward, it opens up Fog to play his natural game and he gives us hope going into next season.

Good
- there’s still quality young talent on the list when we play to it’s strengths

- beating carlton is always fun

Bad
- We’ve seen enough to know Nicks won’t lead us to a flag, and wins like this will keep him around

We have heaps of talent waiting for AFL level development but Nicks has shown he needs to be dragged kicking and screaming to develop it.

Cook and Nank are proving Nicks is an asshat. Should have been played a lot more last year.

I'm sure he dropped a few mark on the lead and one of them he sat on the ground looking at the umpire. Also tried to take a chest mark when he should have mark the ball in front.

I'll call it now. Before the bye we're going to have people putting the fork into Fog saying he's a bust, we should delist him, or trade im.

Then once Thilthorpe returns and he becomes the stay at home forward, it opens up Fog to play his natural game and he gives us hope going into next season.
Fog was playing exactly like this last year with Thilthorpe in the team, he’s horribly out of form, has hardly been in form for 12 months.

Congratulations Nicks on your first ever away win against a top 8 side.

The kids ******* did it in the middle!

Nicksy has obviously been on here this week.

In the words of Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams, the kids are alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back