Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fog had a lot of 25% chance opportunities. Still, I want him to be better and... win those.

It's unfair, I know, but I want the bloke to do crazy good s**t all the time. He almosts it, almost all the time.

And, he turned a random "shoulda been OOB" into a contested posession, and a low flat missile to Cook... It turned the game. Right at the "well, it's time to give up" mark on the clock.
Agree!

He has the chance to make his own destiny! Work hard do the 1% ers just be unpredictable

No matter how much these guys piss me off, the adrenaline rush after a win >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Still a lot of things to fix, but the midfield mix today was MUCH improved. Still need to get Rash in there.

Carlton fans whinging about the touched goal. Swings and roundabouts, my friends. Your tears are delicious. Love beating Carlton.

Great win. Accounting for the context it's probably the best in years. Huge positive that Murray and Thilthorpe are still to come back, both of whom would significantly improve the team as direct swaps.

Lots of good players but I think Worrell had his best game for the club. Has been quite poor at times this year and was really excellent and a huge reason why our backline stood up well. Jones' second half was easily the best he has played in 2024 as well. Hopefully he's turning a corner as he was pretty good at times last year. Obviously Rankine, Rachele, Walker, Keays, Soligo all terrific. Liked Crouch's game too.

McHenry had a dreadful game, and Fogarty, Smith and Cook aside from the late goal were pretty poor too. I think everyone survives except McHenry though, they all did enough or warrant a bit more patience.

A lot of chat here about a radical midfield change but it really wasn't that different, it's been more of a week to week progression since the Fremantle game. Main thing was increasing Rankine from a part-time mid to full-time which was obviously very successful and he was probably best on. Missed 3 pretty gettable shots at goal too so could have been even better.

But in terms of CBAs it was a fairly even split between Rankine, Soligo, Crouch, Dawson and Laird, with the main change from last week being more Rankine with Dawson spending more time in other roles like Crouch/Laird have been, with Rankine and Soligo the two permanent mids. Obviously worked well but I think the future probably still doesn't include Laird as much, even though he was pretty good tonight. Especially if Berry comes in, there's just too many players filling that role.

Main point here is it's been a gradual progression in this direction for a couple of weeks. I don't think the coaching staff decided to make a radical change this week, I think they have been working towards a new setup and you can see it happening each week with the changes. Hopefully what we saw tonight was the team settling in to the new setup and we keep making some gradual tweaks.
Yeah, master coaching to dragged kicking and screaming to eventually change the midfield mix.

You know he met with King before the Melbourne game and denied there was anything wrong with our midfield mix.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry playing poorly is a trend. Berry playing well is a single data point.

I didn't say it does?

Yes, lets shut down discussion about players until their careers are over, only then can we form an opinion on whether they were good or not. We must wait to look at the totality of the available data, instead of looking at the totality of the available data.
I hope you are enjoying your Saturday night after a great Crows win.

So Crouch. He turned into the player and took possession of the ball in the same motion. I’m not sure anymore what that’s worth. A fine? A week? We have to have his brother back?
I thought the directive from the AFL a few years back was for players to turn in that situation and not go in head first. Just as Crouch did. Did he even get him high?? It was shoulder at worst. I don't think it warranted a free kick.

I thought the directive from the AFL a few years back was for players to turn in that situation and not go in head first. Just as Crouch did. Did he even get him high?? It was shoulder at worst. I don't think it warranted a free kick.
The blues player was dazed so I’m guessing he hit the head .

Ugly: The love in for Weitering by the commentators. Imagine the hype when his direct opponent doesn't kick a bag on him.

Fair dinkum. I had to laugh when the commentators claimed it was an epic battle but you'd have to give to edge to Weitering, with Walker on four goals in the 3rd quarter plus a couple given away!

I'd hate to see what a bad game for Weitering looks like!

Put some respect on Keays for not blazing away there. You know he wanted to.
Not only does he not blaze away, he also doesn't panic and instead draws a second defender (before nailing a gorgeous look away handball) to give Berry the time and space to take the shot.

It looked fairly innocent, but it will come down to whether it was deemed reckless or avoidable. Thankfully it was a contested piece play and I can’t see how it could be deemed reckless. It was accidental collision, but we will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back