Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

How bad was Matt Owies goal attempt at the death for Carlton?

Like everyone knows he's an absolute spud but Jesus Christ that was pathetic.

We'd be furious if one of ours did that
That was when I thought shit we could win this

Time to make a call on Laird/Crouch.

And play Berry.

Laird needs another role. Has done well as a "stop gap" mid since 2018.

But he is holding up genuine midfield talent.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn’t get too carried away yet with Berry just yet. Similar to McHenry they always seem to have a positive impact when they come on as a sub, but seem to stink it up when given a full game

That was when I thought s**t we could win this
I actually thought we could win this only when Keane took that mark with a few seconds to go. :$

The stage was set for late McKay/Curnow mark and goal from that last passage of play.:think:

Our goal kicking accuracy for the game was a huge variable for us winning the game, despite the misses from Rankine and Keays.

Berry's goal kicking accuracy for his career is under 50%, so him sinking that goal late in the game was huge to say the least.

I’m prepared to give Berry more credit
If Berry can take some inspiration from your username, that would work wonders for his game. The first couple of games he played he just constantly fumbled, which resulted in turnovers and our mids expecting to receive after he won the ball out of position and the opposition running away from them. Terribly costly and Nicks finally gave up and subbed him out. Berry has a real toughness and the ability to break tackles that our midfield could greatly benefit from, but he just has to be clean with the footy first.

Remember when like not even 12 months ago people were claiming Rory Laird was a starting midfielder at every team in the country? Dude shouldn't even be one at our club.

If Berry can take some inspiration from your username, that would work wonders for his game. The first couple of games he played he just constantly fumbled, which resulted in turnovers and our mids expecting to receive after he won the ball out of position and the opposition running away from them. Terribly costly and Nicks finally gave up and subbed him out. Berry has a real toughness and the ability to break tackles that our midfield could greatly benefit from, but he just has to be clean with the footy first.
I’ll see what I can do 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you play with what you have....the overall ball movement and skills was streets ahead of the last month.

Yes, it is a worry that we are not making a contested marking team. Thilthorpe should help here but we need one or two more.
I still think Harrison Petty would be a terrific inclusion in our forward line next year.

Yeah, master coaching to dragged kicking and screaming to eventually change the midfield mix.

You know he met with King before the Melbourne game and denied there was anything wrong with our midfield mix.
The point is that the midfield mix has been changing. In round 2, 81% of our CBAs were Dawson/Crouch/Laird. We lost that game badly, the team and the coaching staff got lots of criticism including for the 'vanilla' midfield, and the club mentioned in a range of venues during that week that they'd be looking at alternative options in the midfield. So yeah, that's the team responding to criticism which you can call 'kicking and screaming' if you want. Certainly would have been good if the criticism was never needed.

Since then the Dawson/Crouch/Laird CBA share has gone 71% against Freo, 62% against Melbourne and this week was 51%. Not sure how you can see that as anything other than a staged change over several weeks, because that's what it obviously is. Unless you think the CBA mix is totally random and they never thought about it at all until today.

Just to be clear I never said anything about 'master coaching'. I think these changes should have been implemented pre-season, especially given Rankine was training with the midfield. It's possible Soligo's injury disrupted the plans but still, going in with nothing but Dawson/Crouch/Laird/Berry in week one and then just dropping Berry from that mix for round two was dumb. But it's clear that the decision to begin moving away from that mix was made after the Geelong game.

This is the one area of a marking contest I've never understood as to why more free kicks aren't paid. Clearly the defender is literally grabbed and pulled away from the front position. So there is no interpretation where its not holding the man.
Oh, the rule is that you can do that if you're at your home ground.

Look it up.

The point is that the midfield mix has been changing. In round 2, 81% of our CBAs were Dawson/Crouch/Laird. We lost that game badly, the team and the coaching staff got lots of criticism including for the 'vanilla' midfield, and the club mentioned in a range of venues during that week that they'd be looking at alternative options in the midfield. So yeah, that's the team responding to criticism which you can call 'kicking and screaming' if you want. Certainly would have been good if the criticism was never needed.

Since then the Dawson/Crouch/Laird CBA share has gone 71% against Freo, 62% against Melbourne and this week was 51%. Not sure how you can see that as anything other than a staged change over several weeks, because that's what it obviously is. Unless you think the CBA mix is totally random and they never thought about it at all until today.

Just to be clear I never said anything about 'master coaching'. I think these changes should have been implemented pre-season, especially given Rankine was training with the midfield. It's possible Soligo's injury disrupted the plans but still, going in with nothing but Dawson/Crouch/Laird/Berry in week one and then just dropping Berry from that mix for round two was dumb. But it's clear that the decision to begin moving away from that mix was made after the Geelong game.
A staged change implies a strategy with an end goal to get us to the mix we had today, but it was far from planned.

Every week they had to reduce their CBA but they did it by an amount they thought they could get away with and still win, when that failed they reduced some more until we finally got to todays midfield and we saw how effective it was.

They could have gone with this midfield round 1 at worst rd 2, but they didn’t think it was their best midfield mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back