Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular opinion: Connor Rozee is just a flashier version of Ryan Burton. He played scared today, & wilted away as soon as the intensity started to lift.

Much is made of our star studded midfield, but we were once again belted in clearances and contested possessions. They look unstoppable in the downhill sections, but fall apart as soon as the gradient ascends.

The clubs in a perpetual state of disrepair, & the rot starts at the head.

They can do the miraculous and hit those amazing kicks but cant do the basics when the going gets tough and need to get their hands dirty. Part in part due to having no real veterans to lean on. Wines is done and washed up, Boak is hitting the injury stage and even before then was making up game numbers without particularly influencing. Players like Sidebottom and Pendlebury are honest players where Daicos and DeGoey can lean on if unsure. We just dont have that.

I watched the presser, Hinkley had no idea what happened. Babbled some incoherent nonsense then left. Did seem to understand how bad we were, not sure how long that will last.

He thought JHF was cramp, Bergman rolled an ankle, both should be ok. Jones may have pulled a hamstring.

Not that it was the difference at all, but how some teams can get a bye to completely refresh at this time of the year, while other teams don’t, is such a joke. Just another gift from the glorious opening round from the AFL.

It is not to hard to even it out, make the 2 teams who had the bye the previous week play each other the following week. It’s not that complicated AFL.

Collingwood looked the best they have all year, running on top of the ground, refreshed and had 2 weeks to prepare for our game.

He didn’t play scared. He just played s**t. There is big difference. His worst game in a long time. He just fumbled everything. It happens. Everyone has a s**t game, even the best. This is a massive overreaction by you. He has been incredible all year.
Reality is, in his first big test as captain he failed. The clubs first real test for the year and they failed.
Who cares if you play well abasing average teams, if you can't do it when it matters.

When Collingwood took they game away form us in the 2nd, our Captain and VC combined for 8 disposals and did nothing. That's when we needed them to step up and get the side back into the game, not sit back and do nothing.

How were always outnumbered 3 and 4 to 1 through the midfield after our blistering start, Completely went to water. Then kept handballing to players who were surrounded.

Hinkley rambled something about Collingwood's energy. Oh and workrate.

He didn’t play scared. He just played s**t. There is big difference. His worst game in a long time. He just fumbled everything. It happens. Everyone has a s**t game, even the best. This is a massive overreaction by you. He has been incredible all year.
He definitely played shit scared, hence the fumbling. Bitched out of every 50/50 aswell. I get he's not an inside mid but **** me we needed a leader to stand up and steady the ship which he didn't do. Lucky for him he wasn't alone and he will learn from this. I'll let him off this time but his colours were lowered considerably in the space of a week.

He's elite and is willing so I'm not worried going forward.

It should’ve been with 38 scoring shots to 21. We’re just lucky that they were inaccurate and we did alright for once.
We weren't alright with scoring schots. Instead of spraying points today we were instead failing to kick the disance or spraying out of bounds on the full.

Unpopular opinion: Connor Rozee is just a flashier version of Ryan Burton. He played scared today, & wilted away as soon as the intensity started to lift.
Thats not really accurate, Rozee didn't wilt when the intensity lifted he was poor all day. Even in the first quarter when Port were on top, Rozee was still fumbling and slipping over.

He just had a straight up nightmare.

Fly is now 4-0 against Hinkley. Will Kane bring this up on the Sunday Footy Show tomorrow morning because he kept on going on and on about Chris Scott's record against Bevo two weeks ago?

Pack of front running mental lightweights as usual. Zero brains, zero heart. The personnel on the field does not matter - it hasn’t for 11 years. We need a complete cultural overhaul, and any football administration with a modicum of competence would understand that the easiest place to start is at the top.

Fly is now 4-0 against Hinkley. Will Kane bring this up on the Sunday Footy Show tomorrow morning because he kept on going on and on about Chris Scott's record against Bevo two weeks ago?
You know on his shitty betting show with nathan brown and isaac smith he said he wasnt confident and we hadnt beaten anyone good yet.

how can he say that while cupping hinkleys balls at every opportunity. The mask slips sometimes.

Not that it was the difference at all, but how some teams can get a bye to completely refresh at this time of the year, while other teams don’t, is such a joke. Just another gift from the glorious opening round from the AFL.

It is not to hard to even it out, make the 2 teams who had the bye the previous week play each other the following week. It’s not that complicated AFL.

Collingwood looked the best they have all year, running on top of the ground, refreshed and had 2 weeks to prepare for our game.
Like it or not we play in a competition which is the VFL in all but name. After COVID, the league needed to shore up its finances, which it does by ensuring the financially strong Victorian clubs start generating money again pronto. The sad reality is, the league is better off if Clubs like Collingwood and Carlton are thriving. These clubs have always had the advantage, thats how the system is designed.

The sad part is we manage (or at least did manage) to be competitive despite this. If we'd have had the bounce that, say, McRae or Kingsley has provided, we'd be right up in contention. We've mired ourselves in mediocrity, and aside from saddling us with Koch, the AFL isn't totally responsible for that.

But yes, the fixture should be fairer. We all know that's not going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How were always outnumbered 3 and 4 to 1 through the midfield after our blistering start, Completely went to water. Then kept handballing to players who were surrounded.

Hinkley rambled something about Collingwood's energy. Oh and workrate.

legitimately every single mid got sucked into trying to win the inside ball maybe 4 all go in at once, pies win it and simple flick to a free player on the outside and away they go. Thats from direction of midfield and senior coach

You know on his shitty betting show with nathan brown and isaac smith he said he wasnt confident and we hadnt beaten anyone good yet.

how can he say that while cupping hinkleys balls at every opportunity. The mask slips sometimes.
Because he likes Hinkley more than he likes Port Adelaide. Whether Hinkley is actually the best man for the job is so irrelevant to him he probably hasn't even turned his mind to it. He just wants to protect his friend (and his brother)'s job.

Review of the second ruck 'experiment':

Sweet and Soldo had a combined 13 touches (Soldo averages 11.4 on his own) and 4 marks
Sweet and Soldo kicked a combined 0.0
We lost the clearances
We got walloped in the centre clearances
We lost the game
And Soldo has played 94% gametime, so we didn't even succeed at giving him a rest.

An abject failure on every level, as it was always going to be. Turns out I'm not just some hysterical pessimist, I'm just a person who watches football and is capable of pattern recognition. Shoutout to everyone who tagged me in the changes thread like Sweet getting picked was some sort of win.

Let the Sweet thing go man, I knew you’d come out beating your chest saying, I told you so. We would have got flogged regardless of players picked.
Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead of Sweet, to of actually made a difference on the score board ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

legitimately every single mid got sucked into trying to win the inside ball maybe 4 all go in at once, pies win it and simple flick to a free player on the outside and away they go. Thats from direction of midfield and senior coach
The ball watching in this game was unbelievably amateurish. I don't think I've ever watched a port team as stupid and as simple to get sucked in so easily every ****ing time.

They calved us open so easily just based off of this, looking for the handball over the top each time. How did the ****ing coaches not see this?

Is now pushing the "coaches can't do much line" on fiveaa.
Jeez, wish I'd heard it. He's good at replying to messages and I'd say we should all message him about disappointment with that line. We understand he can't be as outspoken as he was last season but thats a betrayal of what he stood for and a cop out.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Blaming a bye is pretty ****ing soft after that performance only 6 games in. Cry me a river ffs

EDIT- Not a very Port like response to a loss

Let the Sweet thing go man, I knew you’d come out beating your chest saying, I told you so. We would have got flogged regardless of players picked.
Out of curiosity, who would you have picked instead of Sweet, to of actually made a difference on the score board ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I thought the umps let sweet down today aswell. The guy was out muscling his opponent and copping a bullshit free against every time.

He also said something like 'the fans want a premiership tomorrow' in a condescending way after hysteria callers. Tredders has now joined the dark side I'm afraid.
Honestly what the **** are they doing down there, and how come it has infected everyone?

Even Jonestown had a few dissenters who didn't drink the flavour aid.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back