Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are Finn’s deficiencies?
Stop it.

It’s very clear that our current coaching structure favours multiple positions.
So much so that when we’ve been down in mid, we bring in a HB/HF and role someone into the mid.

Fin has shown no ability to play anywhere outside of mid. That’s a death knock with the way we are coached.

Think it’s coincidence that sully has played HB and HF in the last 2 VFL games and not much mid?

Ffs give it a rest.

Keep your chin up C.O.D. We may well rest or sub a senior next week and Fin comes in. Take a leaf out of his book maybe and back him to overcome these challenges. We are a chance to sneak into the 8 this week and we are trying to go back to back so possibly back in the coaches as well.

I generally have. Particularly with recruitment.

This is more about Fin specifically. Not the coaches and selection generally.

I just find it odd that Fin seems to be the only VFL player who consistently performs at VFL level and yet doesn’t get the block of AFL games to show his wares like others have

HH got a month last year
Reef got close to a month last year and even a few this year
Chugg in 2022 got a game despite showing nearly nothing at VFL level

It just seems really odd and borderline intentional with Fin

Sullivan looks the most likely sub from the named bench. If it goes that way it makes sense that Macrae was overlooked. Macrae didn’t impact as sub and he lost form being sub/subbed across a few weeks.
No he won’t. Fly has never played a debutant as a sub. He won’t start now.
If he’s actually true to his beliefs and wants the players to buy in….absolutely no chance he’s sub.

I just find it odd that Fin seems to be the only VFL player who consistently performs at VFL level and yet doesn’t get the block of AFL games to show his wares like others have

HH got a month last year

Yep. Fly & the selectors are purposely picking on Fin.

🙄

Yep. Fly & the selectors are purposely picking on Fin.

I didn’t say that

I said it seems it. Just how it looks on the surface. I’m aware they’re not picking on him

But of course most of you know no other way to have discussions other than snark and condescension

HH got a month last year

What else happened last year?

Oh that’s right a flag.

Coaching staff will make mistakes along the way but so far their track record is impeccable. Finn just has to wait.

For all the Fin fans, another good game in the VFL & I'm sure he'll get another opportunity in the next couple of weeks.

Don't see it happening. At best another 15 minutes of game time as sub.

Genuine question….is he our best? Or does he just get the most disposals?
Coaches MVP last weekend. Can't be more emphatic than that.

Which clubs is a midfield starter?
As of this week Richmond is the only one I can name and I don’t think he’s best 23 there with a full squad to choose from. The hand wringing is a little dramatic although expected with the chronic overrating on here which in fairness the club fed over the pre-season.

Coaches MVP is a social media award.
Aka: coaches encouragement.

if that’s the reason…:FMD.
I honestly can’t compete with that.

Strange to see Markov and Noble in the same team, has that happened before? Unless Markov is the sub
Did you not watch any H&A games last year 😂

Guess we'll have to see, but I'm certainly not thinking his time is up at the Pies because he didn't get selected this week.

I find it bizarre people are simultaneously pumping Fin up whilst also saying he won't get another opportunity with the club & best he just leave. Asap.

It's round 8. And he's contracted for another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've just listed teams you don't rate.

WCE no. Dom Sheed is struggling to get a game for them. Yeo and Kelly are playing really well and the kids they're developing in the midfield are Reid And Ginbey - both looking good.

North - probably not - a couple of solid senior mids and developing more highly rated kids than Finn.

Hawthorns mids are above him.

No idea about StKilda.
Too many of his type (Steele, Crouch and Ross). League wide they’re probably the last club that would have an interest in a player like him.

Guess we'll have to see, but I'm certainly not thinking his time is up at the Pies because he didn't get selected this week.

I find it bizarre people are simultaneously pumping Fin up whilst also saying he won't get another opportunity with the club & best he just leave. Asap.

It's round 8. And he's contracted for another year.
Simply because, no matter what he does, it doesn't appear he'll get a true opportunity - i.e. a block of 2-3 games.

Be honest, he hasn't been given a good look since 2021. Less than two full games of AFL footy in 2.5 seasons isn't an opportunity.

Fly has this nice guy persona but he is a velvet sledgehammer

Examples

Finn too slow or not enough weapons
Poulter got shifted very quickly not his type
Ginnivan/Adams being shifted ruthlessly
Not sure Adams was shifted ruthlessly tbh. According to Adams on the podcast he was on recently Fly said in his exit meeting that not much would change in 2024, and they felt he was performing very well in the role they’d given him.
The story is unravelling bit by bit every time Adams speaks. At this point I honestly believe that Fly was very happy to keep Adams at the club in 2024.

Stop it.

It’s very clear that our current coaching structure favours multiple positions.
So much so that when we’ve been down in mid, we bring in a HB/HF and role someone into the mid.

Fin has shown no ability to play anywhere outside of mid. That’s a death knock with the way we are coached.

Think it’s coincidence that sully has played HB and HF in the last 2 VFL games and not much mid?

Ffs give it a rest.
So his only deficiencies is lack of positional flexibility - that’s hardly a reason to wipe him as a prospect, given his age.

I would also suggest that you look at my posts carefully- I have not initiated a single discussion about Finn.

Others have chosen to continue to deride his prospects, and where this is based on questionable facts, I’ve responded.

So I suggest you direct your angst to them, and ask them to give it a rest.

Simply because, no matter what he does, it doesn't appear he'll get a true opportunity - i.e. a block of 2-3 games.

Be honest, he hasn't been given a good look since 2021. Less than two full games of AFL footy in 2.5 seasons isn't an opportunity.
I think that's because he hasn't performed when he's been given the opportunity.

We didn't have to give him another year, so obviously the club does think he has the ability.

Let's see how the year pans out before writing him off altogether.

I'm guessing that's what the club is doing.

Genuine question….is he our best? Or does he just get the most disposals?
He's our best and does get the most disposals but it's becoming increasingly obvious that the club doesn't feel like he's able to translate that into the AFL. Or at least they doubt his ability to play the role they need him to play. Heaps of possession gatherers in the VFL

I think that's because he hasn't performed when he's been given the opportunity.

We didn't have to give him another year, so obviously the club does think he has the ability.

Let's see how the year pans out before writing him off altogether.

I'm guessing that's what the club is doing.
tbf, he did well in his two sub games, and yeah struggled v lions; but going from sub to sub to trying to impact the next week, I can't imagine that would have been easy.

It'll be the same standard won't it? Just with the western state teams in it too.

I think the inference is, with a specifically designated 2nd tier national competition - ultimately this will evolve into a genuine level that will surpass all state based comps.

Further, AFL lists may be increased and if well supported and compensated by the AFL as a feeder comp. Money/salaries will enable clubs to supplement the lists with the best talent outside the AFL and further increase the talent levels, providing a genuine conduit to reaching a primary list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

tbf, he did well in his two sub games, and yeah struggled v lions; but going from sub to sub to trying to impact the next week, I can't imagine that would have been easy.
Which is probably why they're wanting to give him some full games in the VFL...?

Coaches MVP is a social media award.
Aka: coaches encouragement.

if that’s the reason…:FMD.
I honestly can’t compete with that.
Of course you can’t compete with that. It’s an emphatic answer to your earlier question.
The Coach could have chosen 23 others but chose Finn as MVP.
Your trivialization of the award proves your “serious question” was disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back