Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So his only deficiencies is lack of positional flexibility - that’s hardly a reason to wipe him as a prospect, given his age.

I would also suggest that you look at my posts carefully- I have not initiated a single discussion about Finn.

Others have chosen to continue to deride his prospects, and where this is based on questionable facts, I’ve responded.

So I suggest you direct your angst to them, and ask them to give it a rest.
Hang on what?!?!
You make a comment, I respond…..and now you ask me to go at others?!?
Ummm…sure….sorry Spinny. I’ll direct my comments at why he ain’t making it due to being 1 positional to someone else.

Ps.regardless of what you think, he’s not making it with us. The way we recruit/play and manage in the new structure…..lack of
Flexibility is a big issue.

He's our best and does get the most disposals but it's becoming increasingly obvious that the club doesn't feel like he's able to translate that into the AFL. Or at least they doubt his ability to play the role they need him to play. Heaps of possession gatherers in the VFL
He can’t translate. It’s very obvious and has been for a year.

Not his fault. He’ll play at other teams. Just not with us unless we want to wait 2 more years for a B grade mid.

I generally have. Particularly with recruitment.

This is more about Fin specifically. Not the coaches and selection generally.

I just find it odd that Fin seems to be the only VFL player who consistently performs at VFL level and yet doesn’t get the block of AFL games to show his wares like others have

HH got a month last year
Reef got close to a month last year and even a few this year
Chugg in 2022 got a game despite showing nearly nothing at VFL level

It just seems really odd and borderline intentional with Fin
Fortunes turn so we’ll see what pans out.

Hang on what?!?!
You make a comment, I respond…..and now you ask me to go at others?!?
Ummm…sure….sorry Spinny. I’ll direct my comments at why he ain’t making it due to being 1 positional to someone else.

Ps.regardless of what you think, he’s not making it with us. The way we recruit/play and manage in the new structure…..lack of
Flexibility is a big issue.
When you ask me to “FFS give it a rest”, then I’m compelled to apprise you of the facts and hence my comment about “others”.

When you ask me to “FFS give it a rest”, then I’m compelled to apprise you of the facts and hence my comment about “others”.
Your doing it again spin, big game tomorrow, trivial matters just suck the vibe out of the club. We are playing the dirtiest, scummiest, pack of feral pigs we'll ever come across tomorrow night

My take on the Finn saga…

Bringing both Finn and Lachie into the team the combined inexperience, especially in the midfield was a stretch too far. We have numerous current senior members that will shift to fulfil 1 of the 2 vacant full-time midfield positions. Further evidence indicates both our outs are supremely strong contested ball winners and we couldn’t gamble on 2 new and somewhat invalidated AFL rotations.

Sullivan has been on the precipice of a debut for a few weeks now and ultimately he was the next cab of the rank for a midfield spot, regardless of the excellent game Finn played in the VFL recently. This is reinforced by Sullivan’s routine selection as emergency the past month or so and his excellent VFL form over the season so far.

Oleg has played well in the VFL and clearly has been identified to fill a roll in the game plan to defeat Carlton.

Finn’s papers haven’t been stamped. He just needs to keep playing well and he will soon get another opportunity to cement his spot in the seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Finn’s papers haven’t been stamped. He just needs to keep playing well and he will soon get another opportunity to cement his spot in the seniors.

They kind of have though?!?
We can’t handle players that can only play one position. It’s been a hallmark since ‘22.
Adams left because of it, titch gets away with it because he is top 5% in that space…..but no one else does.

We’ve push the boundaries on list management in the last 2 years…I suspect Finn will be another casualty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They kind of have though?!?
We can’t handle players that can only play one position. It’s been a hallmark since ‘22.
Adams left because of it, titch gets away with it because he is top 5% in that space…..but no one else does.

We’ve push the boundaries on list management in the last 2 years…I suspect Finn will be another casualty.

Only by some BF posters it seems to me.

My take on the Finn saga…

It's all very well to say that Fin only needs to continue playing well to get another chance, but how many times can we say this only to watch him fall back after not making the leap to AFL? This time though his BOG performance last week is overlooked, perhaps because Sullivan is a cleaner swap for Mitchell.

The problem is that in his 4th year, and with Adams at SYD, many expected Finn would become a regular, when he can't even get a game. I think he's another Callum Brown who is never quite going to make it. For his and our sake, I hope he proves me wrong.

Fin will get plenty more opportunity. He'll know what he must work in to get another opportunity. This is not the end.
Its only round 8. Has plenty time left.

But Jen, you yourself have said that he’s too physically slight to take on sides with big bodied mids and was also overlooked this week because we’re prioritising foot speed. If that’s all true, then it’s a very small set of teams that Fin will match up well against.

I find it amazing that you and many others in here are still so staunch in your defence of Fin. What exactly do you see as his skills that are elite enough to be worthy of playing in the centre square of a Premiership-contending AFL side? I’m baffled.

Quite frankly, Brayden Sier showed a hell of a lot more skill and X factor in his very similar number of games played and years on our list.

Last edited:
I generally have. Particularly with recruitment.

This is more about Fin specifically. Not the coaches and selection generally.

I just find it odd that Fin seems to be the only VFL player who consistently performs at VFL level and yet doesn’t get the block of AFL games to show his wares like others have

HH got a month last year
Reef got close to a month last year and even a few this year
Chugg in 2022 got a game despite showing nearly nothing at VFL level

It just seems really odd and borderline intentional with Fin

None of the other guys you mention are attempting to play in the centre square. So if they go missing or make some mistakes it’s not disastrous.

But you can’t have low-impact L-platers in the centre square if you want to win games of AFL-level footy. That’s the difference - we can’t have any passengers in the engine room and Fin has been that each time that he has played in the seniors.

Time to move on to others who might be able to come in and immediately play at the necessary level.

Last edited:
But Jen, you yourself have said for that he’s too physically slight to take on sides with big bodied mids and was also overlooked this week because we’re prioritising foot speed. If that’s all true, then it’s a very small set of teams that Fin will match up well against.

I find it amazing that you and many others in here are still so staunch in your defence of Fin. What exactly do you see as his skills that are elite enough to be worthy of playing in the centre square of a Premiership-contending AFL side? I’m baffled.

Quite frankly, Brayden Sier showed a hell of a lot more skill and X factor in his very similar number of games played and years on our list.

Needs to spend next summer in the gym. While he is stronger than he was, he'll need to continue to build that physical maturity. His hands are elite. He can cover a lot more ground than he used to, his running capacity and endurance is as good as anyone's. He's good on the inside, really good on the outside as a reciever. There is a lot to like.

I still have faith he can become a good solid player. More so his time will come next year when he should be looking to be a regular.

Needs to spend next summer in the gym. While he is stronger than he was, he'll need to continue to build that physical maturity. His hands are elite. He can cover a lot more ground than he used to, his running capacity and endurance is as good as anyone's. He's good on the inside, really good on the outside as a reciever. There is a lot to like.

I still have faith he can become a good solid player. More so his time will come next year when he should be looking to be a regular.

I admire your faith and patience. I lack both in this instance.

(I thought I’d get you to bite at the Brayden Sier reference. You showed great restraint in not taking that bait!)

The Finn train is a runaway here. It’s a no win situation for bf posters. When he comes in and plays well the meltdown is going to be hilarious. Truth is if he does it’s because we were patient and giving him time to learn to compete with elite midfielders. Right now he is a one trick pony and we can’t carry him if he fails at stoppages. Other debutants have offered versatility. We just won a flag without Finn so don’t tell me he deserved a block of games last year.

Be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back