Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some things I noticed…

1. Specially in the first half, our best forward Crumber was Harry..
2. When opposition mark or kick in from a behind our defence set up well behind the ball, for the long kick and often turn it over or create a contest.. However time and time again Curnow, Cuningham and Owies leave their direct opponent unmarked.. Allowing easy uncontested possession all the way out of our 50..
3. Curnow might be exciting and a crowd favourite. But he needs a kick up the ass to learn to defend and chase.. Why their at it get him to lead.
4. Fantasia and Durdin aren’t the answer and are never going to be the answer.. How Durdin got 2 year extension..
5. Kennedy the sub made no sense..
6. Weitering and Boyd were good and Cowan showed some glimpses (made me excited)
7. Our defence as a group, is not at a top 4 standard. They leave free dangerous space everywhere and allow easy goals..
8. Our panic bombing out of defence, bombing it to the wing at all costs to a 5 on 1 TDK/ Harry/ Charlie and bombing it 40m out in our forward line (least constructive and highest turnover spot) has got to stop..
9. We looked awesome in the first quarter using the corridor at speed, gave us free forwards in space on multiple occasions.

Our flaws are coaching, injury and player decision/effort related…

If we are to make top 4 now…
Coaches and players need to stop talking about the same old thing and go out and put it into practice..

DeGoey is a significant out, reckon Mitchell is ordinary tbh, him being out probably helped them bring more speed to the contests and less predictability !
De Goey in, they win by 5 goals. We had our full midfield in and they spanked us. Imagine adding De Goey with our absence of pressure and his skill

During our string of losses last year, it was kind of uncanny to see where the losses themselves were coming from. We would dominate games statistically only for Harry or the forwards to miss shots on repeat they should be kicking; we would barely lay 40 tackles for an entire match and the opposition would waltz through us, scything through like a threshing pole through wheat; we would gift our opponents 5 goals consecutively or a quarter without us scoring, and wonder what the **** we were doing. And at all times, we looked like we could win but we chose not to; the effort was there, the output was there, but nothing clicked. The back six was less than the sum of their parts. The midfield were all too samey, no point of difference. The front half was dominated by low confidence and percentage plays, at a time when forward half footy is at its most confidence and brash in more than a decade. We'd try the shit other teams seem to make work - Pitto blocking in the ruck the way TDK's opponents do to him, smalls tapping the ball to move it towards a teammate clear and to get the ball to sit, quick hands around the edges and rear of the stoppage to whip the ball clear - and where it'd work for our opponents almost every time for us it'd **** up repeatedly.

This year, we've lost by two points, thirteen points and by six. We've been a long way from our best footy. Our injuries are well documented enough. We looked like a team constrained last night, hampered by expectation and fear; fear of turning the ball over, fear of not taking the game on, fear of our man being the one to get out if we didn't adhere to team structure. Pendlebury gets out because Cuningham refused to sacrifice the zone defense after being out of the side for so long his spot is in question. TDK is told he needs to take the game on because we're behind and that's what we need to do; he's a bigger proponent of the long high turnover than any single other player list wide. Hewitt is an excellent short kick and usually has all the time in the world to dispose of a ball; last night his forcefield went haywire, gifting them position and frees at will.

The umpires were not the reason we lost, but if Charlie isn't being held more than Elliott was in the first term multiple times during the game - indeed, all games this year - I'll go he, and Pittonett has every reason to be perplexed about any number of free kicks paid against him due to ruck infringements; he gets pushed in the back without a whistle yet he pushes Cox full in the chest and it's a block; he tries for the ball to tap and gets wrestled, but when he chooses to wrestle back and defend himself it's holding. Jack Crisp drops the ball dead to his feet in a tackle not once but a good three-four times, but when Hewitt holds it too long it's a clear free against. We need to approach the umpiring coteries and ask exactly what we need to do to ensure we understand the rules appropriately, because for all intents and purposes we don't seem to be getting the frees we should be getting. Small wonder our tackling was down this week, we couldn't buy a holding the ball free against Geelong.

This loss hurts like bitterest gall because we know for a fact what we can do at our best. Last year, we were the stingiest defense in the comp over the final three months; there was a month and a half in there where we could kick 20 goals a game comfortably. The field was covered in offensive and defensive threats where now it seems bare of any growth other than a few tall poppies.

We're playing as less than the sum of our parts at present.

We need to snare a win over the next two weeks. We cannot leave it so late to begin our run as last season. But what I will say is that unlike last year, there is only likely to be a single side from out of Melbourne who is top 4 (GWS). Sydney are also not that good; they're very vulnerable around the ball to a contested setup who can deprive them of first use.

We'll see, I guess.

I disagree on the Kemp point. He would've been mauled by Cox, he struggles on the big lumbering key forwards.

I agree that he thinks he got plenty of things wrong, but I also believe he may be of the opinion that his approach post-game last week may not be the way to go

As much as I like vossy driving high standards, he did seem to ignore a lot what we did right v Geelong in his presser.

I do think part of the issue is we have run into quality opposition, we have been a bit off in some areas and have some important personnel missing and been punished for it.

I dont understand Voss and MCs ranking of the defenders

Weiters
Gov
Kemp
March
Young
Durdin

Stop putting Marchbank ahead. If he has continuity maybe he will overtake Kemp but he should be forced to find it in the VFL.

Back Kemp in ffs.

Marchy is better though injury cursed.

Just play Marchy if fit, he’s prone to breakdown at some point may as well get from him what we can.

It's not, but when added to the collective it does improve dramatically

Fogarty, Motlop, Martin from that forward line

Gov and Saad from the backline

We've lost 3 games by a total of 20 points, so perhaps it would have made some difference
I think having those players available adds to footy IQ / decision making / leadership on field. The problem I have with this is that 3 of them will be over 30 next year (plus Z Williams), and some have well documented injury history. Whilst I look forward to significant ins in the immediate future, some of the players from last night also need to step up.

I probably have a more positive outlook re: two rucks but even still, in the above you're essentially making a case for dropping TDK, not Pitt IMO.
Lets try resting TDK then, we are simply too top heavy and slow with 2 rucks and 3 gorilla mids, the forward line turns into a rebound slingshot due to zero pressure.
While we are at it, give Kemp the 3rd KPF role that adds forward pressure when Gov returns.
I can't see Kemp feeling like a required player if Voss relegates every time there is a defensive mis-match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there in recent times been as bad a quarter as that second quarter?
Totally uncompetitive.

Hard to believe that a team would go in at quarter time and collectively go ‘that’s it boys, jobs done’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First quarter v Brisbane was pretty bad.

we're close to the good sides, apparently. not out of any game. but we're too wasteful and haven't banked some wins that the margin suggests we should have if we were cleaner and cleverer. we're not necessarily any worse than last year, we just happened to win a few of these games at the right time of that year.

there's some player 'experiments' that might be drawing to a close.
cuningham has all the tools but none of the ball.
durdin has a couple of flashy moments and that's all he has. has let us down badly with goal-kicking.
orazio doesn't even have those flashy moments. we're better off selecting a debutante or a midfielder to do whatever the hell it is he's supposed to be doing.
young - ground ball not his forte. he will bob up and do some important things but is probably more suited to a jake lever, third defender role where he can float into the packs with his marking ability and height rather than try and wrestle with resting ruckman. that's if he has to play back. he'd probably be asked to try to fill a gap in the forward line if we were missing a tall forward. his job isn't any easier for what is happening further up the ground. kemp has to come in if young is out. has anyone seen sam durdin lately?
at least owies usually makes the most of his opportunities, but he's not really a mercurial small forward. not that he has to be, that's what motlop is on our list for.
williams isn't really a defender, and it might not be his fault he's played in the backline either. but there he is.

it may be at the stage where teams allow the long ball into 50 knowing that our small forwards aren't going to be there for the ground ball, or to exert pressure on the defensive ball carrier who is cleaning up. they'll be out of position, because they're nowhere near the contest or flying for the mark in front of harry like durdin. that, and there's some sort of disconnect about where the ball will be heading vs where they know they should be.

hard to say whether some of our speedier players traded out would make any difference. zac not setting the world on fire, dow unsighted.

not angry or miserable, more frustrated that we let these games slip from our grasp.

They had degoey and Mitchell out. They are significant outs so I’m not buying into the outs …

On another note…

I wasn’t aware that generally speaking roughly 2/3 of scores are from turnovers…buckley mentioned it in the preview.

And we’re more a clearance/stoppage dominant side so we obviously have some work to do to improve our turnover game…

That’s where the big carrot is for us

And I assume we are trying to do that.

Problem is, we lost the clearance battle...

Cerra just hasn't hit the same form he did last year. First game back from a lengthy spell, he needs a block of games.

Hewett was a let down. Not having awareness and getting caught caused some pretty bad turnovers.

Cripps had a downer compared to what he's shown so far.

For them De Goey wasn't really doing much this season anyway. He was well down his form from last year and was carrying that groin injury for a while. Mitchell is probably past it now anyway.

As for our turnover scores, we have definitely tried to focus on that, prior to bringing in Pitto we had significantly more scores from turnover... but significantly less scores from clearance/stoppage compared to last year.

Once Pitto came back in, our clearance scores improved, but our turnover scores dipped.

One thing that should be a concern is, once coaches change things up, they sit players on Cripps and cover all of Walsh's outlet options and that really stalls our engine room. So even if Pitto gets it to either one of them, they have it covered. After those two, we have an out of form Cerra, a Hewett who takes too long to dispose of it and our options really thin out from there.

Cerra and Walsh are our two outside mids and Cerra plays a more defensive mid role whilst Walsh attacking …Is this right?

I think I’d prefer Cerra doing the kicks into our f50.

Walsh works extremely hard but I don’t believe he has the kicking skill or smarts to match Cerra. This is an area I see where we need improvement.

Problem is, we lost the clearance battle...

Cerra just hasn't hit the same form he did last year. First game back from a lengthy spell, he needs a block of games.

Hewett was a let down. Not having awareness and getting caught caused some pretty bad turnovers.

Cripps had a downer compared to what he's shown so far.

For them De Goey wasn't really doing much this season anyway. He was well down his form from last year and was carrying that groin injury for a while. Mitchell is probably past it now anyway.

As for our turnover scores, we have definitely tried to focus on that, prior to bringing in Pitto we had significantly more scores from turnover... but significantly less scores from clearance/stoppage compared to last year.

Once Pitto came back in, our clearance scores improved, but our turnover scores dipped.

One thing that should be a concern is, once coaches change things up, they sit players on Cripps and cover all of Walsh's outlet options and that really stalls our engine room. So even if Pitto gets it to either one of them, they have it covered. After those two, we have an out of form Cerra, a Hewett who takes too long to dispose of it and our options really thin out from there.
Yeah they’re very good points 👍

Agree

They put plenty of time into shutting down Cripps
I wouldn’t mind seeing less predictability around our stoppages and centre bounce set ups by not having Cripps there all the time, especially when opposition really target him.

Get some different options there and get them on the move or running through the stoppage instead of the stagnant wrestling types all the time.

For some reason TDK was our best crumber off a pack or a chaos ball.

Durdin and Fantasia were out of position 9/10 times and on the odd chance they did get their hands to it they were very fumbly. Owies fought hard. We were really under represented when Charlie or Harry didn’t mark it and they simply beat us for pace and skills from there.

Was a hard game to watch live. It really didn't feel like we had any chance of scoring outside of kicking long to a contest and trying to luck out on the chaos ball, outside of our usual centre clearance that we've seen when we've been dominant.
I love Charlie but he needs to quit being cute and trying to body defenders out and let the ball out the back because we need him halving aerial contests.

Back