Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Saad in, we defend a heap better. And move it heaps faster out of D50.

Blues by 40.

(silly comment)

Saad missing is a massive out for us. No run out of the back 50 was killing us last night. Someone needs to step up there, because no one in the current team wants to run out of defence. Meantime our midfielders and small forwards seem to alternate between wanting to take on the friggin world when they have the ball in hand or to handpass to the nearest person as soon as an opposition player gets within 2 feet of them.

I know he wasn’t alone last night but every time Cuningham handballed I wanted to punch him.
This is a bit extreme, his first game back after missing quite a few games, he's going to need a couple of weeks to find his feet again. The same goes for others who will be returning in the coming weeks. Not everybody is at a Sam Walsh level in that regard.

I reckon Voss and the coaching stuff are under no illusion either. We are missing some key players whose replacements are well below par
We lack composure and cohesion at the moment, the players we are missing have an effect on our structures across every line. Those who claim that personnel not available at the moment isn't an issue are kidding themselves.

We’re 1-3 since we dropped an extra runner and played an extra ruck. We’ve stopped running over the top of teams in the last quarter and stopped moving the ball as well around the ground.
I think it’s time to go back to one ruck and more runners in the team.

Cripps is an excellent leader from a motivational standpoint than strategic …bit like Voss I think

We need smart experienced footballers on the field instructing.

The instructions are two fold…

1. To teach newbies about positioning and general advice. I think we are ok with this.

2. Identify tactical changes needed during the game to swing momentum our way. Basically an extension of the coaches voice on the field.

I’m not sure we have anyone on field that is good enough with point 2.
We are missing Docherty big time in this respect.

Cripps is an excellent leader from a motivational standpoint than strategic …bit like Voss I think

1. To teach newbies about positioning and general advice. I think we are ok with this.

2. Identify tactical changes needed during the game to swing momentum our way. Basically an extension of the coaches voice on the field.

This is where us missing Doc is so critical…

worked fine against GWS who are much faster by foot than both Geelong and the Pies.

Perhaps we overlook this in the scheme of things?

Games played:

Cowan 10
Young 63
Boyd 24
Kemp 29
Durdin 23
Owies 57
Carroll 12
O. Hollands 26
E. Hollands 20
Cinc 20

Missing:

Saad 182
Guv 115
Marchy 61
Motlop 33
Martin 148
Doc 168
JSOS 115

Worked fine at marvel…dogs play well at marvel with extra talls aswell…thing is on the g you need run and spread

Voss talks about moments every week.

We need to take those ‘moments’,it’s the moments in the match.

So was he referring to the moment Zac/Kemp fumbled the mark in the back pocket against the crows which turned the game or the moment when Durdin missed a set shot 25m out first minute last quarter last week or the moment Harry had a chance to kick it to Charlie last 2 mins last night.

You’d think by now we’d have nailed those MOMENTS!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not just on one person it’s a leadership group. You cannot expect him to do everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not just on one person it’s a leadership group. You cannot expect him to do everything.
Yep, and having quite a few of your more experienced players out doesn't help.

5-3 is a true reflection of where we’re at atm

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It is a reflection of where we are at with the available personnel.
We are better than the great majority of teams in the competition all the same, we need to be able to perform better against the top teams more consistently, that will come.

De Goey in, they win by 5 goals. We had our full midfield in and they spanked us. Imagine adding De Goey with our absence of pressure and his skill
Walsh and Kennedy missed when we beat them last year and Cerra subbed off at half time when BOG with 20 touches.

Footy’s a funny game, wouldn’t overplay De Goey’s impact if he played.

Why was durdin re-signed? Can’t lay a tackle, can’t crumb and too short
Nothing wrong with being 173 cm's, plenty of quality footballer's are around that height. Kosy Pickett, Caleb Daniel and the young hawk (known as the wizard). Besides, I am the same height and I am an elite user and tackler. Well, in my dreams.

Durds is better up the ground through the middle imo
He’s not a natural forward
There’s actually a bit to this. When I see him at the odd club gig he keeps telling me how much he wants to be a mid as did so frequently at juniors.

Maybe the extra 2 years is also about us seeing him as a sharper pinch hitting mid in the future?

Last edited:
3 times collingwood had the ball 60 metres from goal and each time the player with the ball pointed he was going long, and 3 times they found a short target 15 metres away inside 50 unmanned. The other thing is we bombed all night and in that last 2 minutes when Harry took the mark 70 out that was the time to bomb it to the goal square, what does he do? Kick a 30 metre pass with 3 collingwood defenders in the area. We can't be that dumb, can we?
Bit harsh on H, imo. Remember that play and yes he could have kicked it to a better spot. But on the whole, he was one of our better player's. Has really come on this year, just need him to drag a few with him.

Bit harsh on H, imo. Remember that play and yes he could have kicked it to a better spot. But on the whole, he was one of our better player's. Has really come on this year, just need him to drag a few with him.

The point was made in coaches press conference “moments” - this was one of them, a team with players with high football IQ will pick the moments to not folllw team rules in situations where it’s called for.

Durds so far has shown very little to show he is good anywhere to be fair.

Still young. But what is he actually elite or even good at?
Opening couple of games of 2022 i thought he played the small forward role very well. Not sure what happened (might have had a few injuries) but he really has struggled since then.

Back