Social Chit Chat III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh FFS! Every time I'm on the phone (or fone I should say) I bugger something up! Obviously it was supposed to have an *it* between abzolutely and love!
Sounded perfect the first time :hearts:

I have a load of stuff that I used to send around to my friends and rellies. It got a bit tough, though, because I was always offending someone or other- particularly with my Rudd/Gillard jokes ;)
That's even better then! Well done!

SC, does the team you barrack for reflect where you live in SA? Like the VFL teams of the old days?My cousins all barrack for Norwood (yeah, I know- hiss hiss and all that!) - just wondered if it was a zoning thing. I think WAFL supporters are pretty zone-related but the population is pretty transient in a way (i.e. people moving from suburb to suburb- not the 'transient' you might think I meant there!) so it's not all zone-related supporters. We are in the East Freo/South Freo zone- my boys played in the East Freo clubs but, when we moved house, they were still playing there but had to play districts with the South Fremantle group. Didn't make a lot of sense.
It most certainly did up until 15 months ago before I moved to the other side of town (Southern Barossa just north east of Adelaide). I'd lived down south for a fair amount of time and I got into SANFL around the time I was living there. South Adelaide were the local club and none of my other mates barracked for them. They also have the blue and white hoops as their away guernsey which was actually their original guernsey up until the 50's.

Also, my wife has done a lot of work for Micheal Hickinbothom who is the CEO of Hickinbotham Homes, SA's largest home builder and a major sponsor as well as ground sponsorship of South Adelaide's home ground which is Noarlunga Oval - known commercially as Hickinbotham Oval. Michael Hickinbotham is the grandson of Alan Hickinbotham, a former WW2 gunner and Geelong footballer. He was born and bred in Geelong, taught Sam Newman (apparently) when he was a teacher at Geelong Grammar and played for the Cats for two years before moving to Adelaide and becoming a captain-coach and South Adelaide Football Club legend.

Last edited:
It most certainly did up until 15 months ago before I moved to the other side of town (Southern Barossa just north east of Adelaide). I'd lived down south for a fair amount of time and I got into SANFL around the time I was living there. South Adelaide were the local club and none of my other mates barracked for them. They also have the blue and white hoops as their away guernsey which was actually their original guernsey up until the 50's.

Also, my wife has done a lot of work for Micheal Hickinbothom who is the CEO of Hickinbotham Homes, SA's largest home builder and a major sponsor as well as ground sponsorship of South Adelaide's home ground which is Noarlunga Oval - known commercially as Hickinbotham Oval. Michael Hickinbotham is the grandson of Alan Hickinbotham, a former WW2 gunner and Geelong footballer. He was born and bred in Geelong, taught Sam Newman (apparently) when he was a teacher at Geelong Grammar and played for the Cats for two years before moving to Adelaide and becoming a premiership captain and part of the South Adelaide team of the century.

Good to hear you've stuck with the hoops, SC. Ah, I've heard of that name. It's one of those names that pops out at me in the Geelong pages because a) it's long and b) the spelling is a bit different from what I've seen before. It's interesting to hear what becomes of these blokes when they leave the game. A lot stayed in Geelong, I think. I know my Dad used to go to visit Billy Goggin in his shop, back in the day ;) I can't remember the details but I think it was a sports shop.

Quite a few ex-players appear to have been teachers. Slightly related- Peter Featherby's son used to teach at my kids secondary school (science, I think). They never had him for their teacher but, from what I heard, that's a good thing :)

Here it is- especially for you, Strangled Cat...During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "O" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud, of kors, be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German lik zey vunted in ze forst plas...

Maybe it's just me, but I still understood ALL of that! And if we're all gonna be speaking German all I have to say is
oktoberfest_girls_for_myspace.jpg

Prost!

Maybe it's just me, but I still understood ALL of that! And if we're all gonna be speaking German all I have to say is
Prost!
If you could understand that- then here's a different one for you. it's quite interesting, really-
read this.gif

Sorry- the full image is too large. Click on the thumbnail instead :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KittyAilurophile - I found a couple of those websites that I was looking up for Halloween stuff.

There's some good stuff on here:

http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/buy_scary_halloween_masks_full.html

http://www.hauntedprops.com/product-p/hppp63333.htm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=SEWER ZOMBIE

Sorry- can't say I've used any of them. Was just browsing the other day.

Here are a few personal favourites:

sewer10.jpg sewer23.jpg sewer25.jpg skull.jpg

and, just as a freebie... let me introduce... *drum roll please!!!

sewer19.jpg

lol- he's not a Halloween figure, of course- he popped up on one of the websites I was on at the time and I thought he looked a bit creepy...

If I can find a pic later, I'll show you something that my son wants to put on his lawn at Halloween. I have it on my iPad, I think.

Darnit- I missed one.... thought I'd included it above.

sewer8.jpg

I actually know a person with that face- the hair is different but it's a good likeness ;)
oh- and the nose is different as well- they don't have a red nose...

Last edited:
Nigel Smart was an inaugural as was Bickley. Other SAFC players who were on the Crows list in the early days were Randall Bone and Peter McIntyre. I admit to having to look up the last two and, in doing so realised I had my wires crossed. Glenelg made up approximately one quarter of the fifty two man inaugural squad. South Adelaide however had five players in the twenty two man squad who won the 1997 premiership. Those players were Clay Sampson, Kym Koster, Simon Goodwin, Nigel Smart and Mark Bickley.
Wasn't Bone traded to Freo for Andy Mcleod?

Or am I now getting my wires crossed?

I suppose this cap has been set at a maximum level which the poorer (or should I say the financially struggling?) clubs like Westies and Sturt can maintain.
But Port and Adelaide don't have to worry about.

You see what I'm saying. ;)

Does anyone know if we have a memes, video clips, etc. page here on the Geelong board? I wanted to post a few things but don't want to clog up the chit chat with too much stuff.
Too late. :p

Wasn't Bone traded to Freo for Andy Mcleod?

Or am I now getting my wires crossed?
I didn't remember Bone ever playing for Freo, only Hawthorn, so I looked it up and it was actually another South Adelaide player in Chris Groom who was traded to Freo in the '94 draft for Andrew McLoed. Randall Bone played for the Hawks from '95-'98. So yeah, Groom was another I forgot to add to the list, although him and Bone didn't exactly have stellar AFL careers it must be said!

I didn't remember Bone ever playing for Freo, only Hawthorn, so I looked it up and it was actually another South Adelaide player in Chris Groom who was traded to Freo in the '94 draft for Andrew McLoed. Randall Bone played for the Hawks from '95-'98. So yeah, Groom was another I forgot to add to the list, although him and Bone didn't exactly have stellar AFL careers it must be said!
Well, there ya go.

Groom for McLeod - I bet that is a piece of Freo history they love re-visiting.

But Port and Adelaide don't have to worry about.

You see what I'm saying. ;)
When you consider the fact that the VFL's salary cap is set at $100k, the $400k SANFL isn't so bad. It's probably a moot point now though as the VFL is pretty much a reserves comp with a few non-affiliate clubs in the mix for shits and giggles.

When you consider the fact that the VFL's salary cap is set at $100k, the $400k SANFL isn't so bad. It's probably a moot point now though as the VFL is pretty much a reserves comp with a few non-affiliate clubs in the mix for shits and giggles.
Again, the AFL "seconds" sides don't have to worry about the cap though. They have those players on the list already via the draft and just have to top-up.

However, the $100,000 cap on the VFL is a bit of a joke. I knew it was less than the SANFL's cap but I wasn't aware it was that low. No wonder a number of VFL players head across the border.

The other advantage the SANFL and WAFL clubs have is the fact they get, I think, compensated when one of their players gets drafted. Since they are mostly kids that is something the stand alone VFL teams don't get as well.

Darnit- I missed one.... thought I'd included it above.

View attachment 53077

I actually know a person with that face- the hair is different but it's a good likeness ;)
oh- and the nose is different as well- they don't have a red nose...
You post up scary looking evil clown pictures on page 666. Coincidence much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back