Weight:
83kg
Born:
29/5/95
Home club:
Aspley
2013 STAT*
The inside word
An inside midfielder who is clean below his knees and has good hands in traffic. Conway played for both Aspley and the Lions reserves in the NEAFL and looked right at home against senior bodies. A strong character with leadership qualities, he is a good decision maker and was rewarded as captain of Queensland at the national U18 championships. A composed student of the game who shows football smarts and a strong work ethic.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-isaac-conway/
Isaac Conway is one player who looks set to join Brisbane through the zone selection bidding system. It is estimated Conway will be taken with either a second or third round pick with Brisbane not going to use their first rounder on him. In saying that, it is highly unlikely a top ten club will bid for Conway as while he looks like a talented players, doesn’t quite stack up against the better midfielders in the draft.

Conway is one of those honest gut runners who won’t break the lines and hurt you with their kicking, but what they do offer is great strength around the clearances and a good ball winning ability that will help get the pill to teammates who can use it better. In many ways you can think of Conway as a Daniel Cross/Brad Sewell/Brock McLean type player who will bury themselves under a pack and usually opt to give a handball to a teammate rather than try and kick it long.

Conway’s kicks will primarily be to clear the danger area and can be haphazard at times. He works incredibly hard and knows how to find the football which is a great start. If a club such as Brisbane can work on his foot skills a little bit more then they should have a very handy player.
If you were to compare Conway with other inside midfielders in this draft, you could compare him to Matt Crouch with Crouch having the better vision and Conway having the better endurance. Both players aren’t overly dangerous by foot but can make an impact in contested situations.

Conway’s body size of 85 kg already has him at what could be considered AFL playing weight unlike so many other Under 18s who need to build up an extra 15 kg or so before they can play at the elite level. This means Conway is able to step up into the already talented Brisbane midfield and provide that hardened body when Simon Black retires. By being able to play that inside role, it allows the other Brisbane midfielders to play that outside game and effectively hurt teams on the inside and outside.

Conway is one of many players who could be taken by Brisbane with a zone selection and probably the highest rated alongside Cain Tickner. He doesn’t have the greatest offensive attributes in the world, but what Conway does offer is his ability to get down and dirty, not afraid to put his body on the line and become a real fan favourite with his constant effort that never dulls.

If Conway is to be chosen by Brisbane as expected, he will no doubt be a leading star in the time trials and impress the coaching staff over the pre-season to really push for a round one debut. It should be noted that if he doesn’t play straight away that won’t be too surprising either given Brisbane’s abundance of talented young midfielders, but Conway should get at least a few games during the year to give him a taste at AFL level.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-11-27/lions-add-three-rookies-

Conway officially joins the Club after being a member of the Hyundai Lions Academy in 2013.

He is an midfielder with a strong work ethic and football smarts, who was a member of the Lions Reserves’ 2012 NEAFL premiership success.

Conway also exudes strong leadership qualities, which were recognised when he was named as Captain of Queensland’s side during the U18 AFL National Championships.

“We’ve been fortunate to work closely with Isaac over the past couple of years and seen him emerge as a quality young talent in Queensland,” Kerr said.

“He’s a strong bodied midfielder who can win the contested ball and really lead by example. He was also trialled across half-back at times in 2013, which we feel has helped add some extra elements to his game.

“There is obviously still plenty of improvement in him, but we’re confident now that he is in the system full-time, that he can become a long-term midfield proposition for our Club.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-12-02/conways-pleasure-and-pain

Last Wednesday morning, Isaac Conway was rightfully dispirited as he pulled on his work boots and set off for another day of work as an apprentice electrician.

The day before, Conway had heard that it was unlikely that the Lions would take him in the Rookie Draft – meaning the elusive AFL career that he had been striving for since he was a kid might not eventuate.

“I was at the gym on Tuesday afternoon after work and I got told that the news probably wasn’t going to be too good on Wednesday” Conway told lions.com.au.

It was the bitterest of pills to swallow for the hard, inside midfielder who had captained the Queensland side in the Under 18 National Championships.

“My heart sunk,” Conway said,

I got home and Mum and Dad knew I was a little bit upset and they talked about what I could do next year and what path I might want to take in the future.”

But there had obviously been some miscommunication – or a late change of heart – because Conway’s name was read out with the Lions’ first rookie selection (Pick No.6 overall).

It hadn't occurred to me that some of Conway's issues in the second half of the year might have been caused by balancing full time work with training.

I've got a lot of time for Conway. In this article, he is so thankful for the opportunities that the Lions have provided him. Instead of looking at his rookie drafting as a bit of an insult after spending 18 months as an "annointed one", he is grateful that he gets an opportunity.

I'm also lead to believe his first post on Facebook after getting drafted was to thank Sandgate and Aspley footy clubs.

Just seems like a class act.

I'm not sure if the timing works out exactly, but it sounds like Banfield going to the Tiges might've opened up a spot for Conway. Either that or if we managed to scrape together enough money for an extra rookie list spot at the last minute.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-12-02/conways-pleasure-and-pain

It hadn't occurred to me that some of Conway's issues in the second half of the year might have been caused by balancing full time work with training.

I've got a lot of time for Conway. In this article, he is so thankful for the opportunities that the Lions have provided him. Instead of looking at his rookie drafting as a bit of an insult after spending 18 months as an "annointed one", he is grateful that he gets an opportunity.

I'm also lead to believe his first post on Facebook after getting drafted was to thank Sandgate and Aspley footy clubs.

Just seems like a class act.
Was thinking the exact same thing. What a great outcome for him too - for now he can give up his trade and follow his dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rate him even higher if he kept his trade up for a day or two a week.
If he was on the main list I would agree with you but he needs to make every post a winner and that means giving everything to convincing the coaches he is worthy of promotion. The trade will be there if it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure if the timing works out exactly, but it sounds like Banfield going to the Tiges might've opened up a spot for Conway. Either that or if we managed to scrape together enough money for an extra rookie list spot at the last minute.
Even if done at the last minute and for good reason as you suggest, it irks me when I read that players find out their fate from third parties or in the media rather than directly from the club.

The article made me feel warm and fuzzy. This time last year I had expected it was a foregone conclusion he would end up on the Lions list. I expect he had similar expectations until the latter half of this year. Let's hope he can seizes the opportunity, make the senior list and have a long and successful career at the Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back