HB: S.Atley T.McDonald D.Swallow
C: B.Ellis D.Heppell J.Macrae
HF: L.Parker T.Lynch(Suns) H.Bennell
F: J.Elliott J.Cameron B.Grundy
R: B.Longer J.O'Meara T.Liberatore
INT: L.Dahlhaus A.Treloar J.Viney
SUB: B.Hill
EMG: O.Wines J.Patton C.Wingard

If the aim of the exercise is to pick a side that would be able to compete in an actual game this is the side that I'd be going with. Back line is both solid and gives rebounding run and carry. Midfield is incredibly deep with hard running ball winners, goal scoring options as well as defensive accountability. Forward line has some quality tall options who have shown they can perform on the big stage and 2 of the better up and coming young ruckmen who can be competitive in the middle and provide an option up forward.

If the AFL were ever to go down the path of having an All Star game type of set up, this is something I'd like to see happen where the established stars played against a team like the one above, I reckon the games would be a lot closer than many would think. In fact I wouldn't mind someone else picking a side aged 23 or above that could play against this team just to see how it would match up.

B: T.Langdon S.May J.Hombsch

If the aim of the exercise is to pick a side that would be able to compete in an actual game this is the side that I'd be going with. Back line is both solid and gives rebounding run and carry. Midfield is incredibly deep with hard running ball winners, goal scoring options as well as defensive accountability. Forward line has some quality tall options who have shown they can perform on the big stage and 2 of the better up and coming young ruckmen who can be competitive in the middle and provide an option up forward.

If the AFL were ever to go down the path of having an All Star game type of set up, this is something I'd like to see happen where the established stars played against a team like the one above, I reckon the games would be a lot closer than many would think. In fact I wouldn't mind someone else picking a side aged 23 or above that could play against this team just to see how it would match up.

Perhaps a 18-22 side, 23-27 side and a 28+ side.
That would be a fun idea!

B: T.Langdon S.May J.Hombsch

LULZ whilst wingard is an emergency. Cue "wingards no good where has he been the past five rounds" "spud" "overrated" :rolleyes:

LULZ whilst wingard is an emergency. Cue "wingards no good where has he been the past five rounds" "spud" "overrated" :rolleyes:
Have I missed something..?

Where has he been?

Did you read my post or just get to Wingards name and have a hissy fit. My side was picked around being able to play a game, not blowing smoke up the backsides of supporters who want to feel great because player X from their side was named. Wingard as good as he can be isn't a star yet. If you were being honest with yourself you'd struggle to pick Wingard over any of: Ellis Heppell Macrae Parker Bennell Elliott O'Meara Liberatore Dahlhaus Treloar Viney or Hill

Did you read my post or just get to Wingards name and have a hissy fit. My side was picked around being able to play a game, not blowing smoke up the backsides of supporters who want to feel great because player X from their side was named. Wingard as good as he can be isn't a star yet. If you were being honest with yourself you'd struggle to pick Wingard over any of: Ellis Heppell Macrae Parker Bennell Elliott O'Meara Liberatore Dahlhaus Treloar Viney or Hill

Thing is, Grundy is fit but can't get a game. Been s**t all season and has been overtaken by Witts.

FB: Nick Haynes - Steven May - Trent McKenzie
HB: Brodie Smith - Tom McDonald - Cam Guthrie
C: David Swallow - Ollie Wines - Dyson Heppell
HF: Luke Parker - Jeremy Cameron - Harley Bennell
FF: Chad Wingard - Tom Lynch - Jack Darling
R: Jarrod Witts - Tom Liberatore - Adam Treloar
IC: Dion Prestia - Dom Tyson - Jamie Elliott
SUB: Jackson Macrae

I'm not really sure the midfield balance is all that flash but these kinds of sides seldom consider that and I reckon I've got the best 'midfielders' all squashed in there, just at the cost of balance. Reckon it has enough realism, 2 x KPF, 1 x bloke able to play 3rd tall/fill in when Lynch covers in ruck, 2 x crumbers/smalls, 1 x small fwd who rotates through the middle, 1 x lockdown small back, 2 x KPD, 1 x third tall, 2 x rebounding backs. Bar the midfield being a bit inside leaning it's well balanced, I'd hope.

Always wondered why the AFL don't do a 'rookie All Australian' side (Under 22), like the NBA do. Yeah you get the occasional exemplary young gun like Hepell who could potentially make both the rookie and main AA side but it would be great to recognise the young talent in the AFL more (more so than just the rising star award).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Tom Langdon - Steven May - Jack Hombsch

HB: Brodie Smith - Justin Clark - Cam Gutherie

C: Jack MaCcrae - Dyson Heppell (c) - Dion Prestia

F: Chad Wingard - Tom Lynch - Jamie Elliott

R: Billy Longer - Jaegar O'Meara - Tom Liberatore

I/C: (from) Ollie Wines - David Swallow - Jarrod Witts

Sub: Adam Treloar

(edit: Ollie Wines in for Mitch Wallis and just win the damn ball more than the opposition)

Last edited:
Was one of the first that came to mind for me too, but there are so many good mids.

B: Langdon May T McKenzie
HB: Swallow T McDonald B Smith
C: Macrae Heppell (c) Prestia
HF: Parker Lynch Dahlhaus
F: Wingard Cameron Elliot
R: Longer Liberatore Wines

I/C from: Bontempelli Tyson Darling B Crouch Treloar O'Meara Menzel

Honourable mention: Polec, Aish, L Mac, JKH, Stringer, H Bennell, Witts

Been fairly harsh on first year players, because as you'd expect they need to work their way into it.
surely bennell over darling!

B: Tom Langdon - Steven May - Jack Hombsch

HB: Brodie Smith - Justin Clark - Cam Gutherie

C: Jack MaCcrae - Dyson Heppell (c) - Dion Prestia

F: Chad Wingard - Tom Lynch - Jamie Elliott

R: Billy Longer - Jaegar O'Meara - Tom Liberatore

I/C: (from) Mitch Wallis - David Swallow - Jarrod Witts

Sub: Adam Treloar
no room for crouch or wines? would take both over wallis/witts/guthrie/macrae

no room for crouch or wines? would take both over wallis/witts/guthrie/macrae

Genuinely forget Wines :(
Crouch I haven't seen enough of to warrant selection over Wallis (tagger), Witts (structurally), Gutherie (positionally different) or Macrae (different roles - crouch is an inside mid, yeah?).

Wingard is well ahead of any of those bolded.

Not sure how Lycett doesn't make it into peoples teams....in recent weeks when given full game time playing as a ruckman rather than a forward he's been brilliant. He finds the ball around the ground almost acting as an extra midfielder (Got 19 possessions last week) and his contested marking has been a huge feature of his game as has his tap work. He's shown he can be a threat up forward too and has kicked 4 goals in his last 4 games. Easily overtaken Coxy this year imo and better than Witts and Grundy. Still only 21 too.

Not sure how Lycett doesn't make it into peoples teams....in recent weeks when given full game time playing as a ruckman rather than a forward he's been brilliant. He finds the ball around the ground almost acting as an extra midfielder (Got 19 possessions last week) and his contested marking has been a huge feature of his game as has his tap work. He's shown he can be a threat up forward too and has kicked 4 goals in his last 4 games. Easily overtaken Coxy this year imo and better than Witts and Grundy. Still only 21 too.

I think its due to the fact that we havent seen much of him yet.
No doubt he has to be in discussions with Witts/Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back