Not hearing the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

WIZARD24

Senior List
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was listening to a interview about the new stadium in perth and how it will have amazing acoustics like the new adelaide one and was thinking how to combat not hearing to siren. I was thinking like they do in basket ball with the shot clock violation As soon as the clock goes zero the Goal/Point post lights up and with the new stadiums have a ring around all the tiersthat light up as well would really add to a close game i reckon thoughts??

I don't mind the idea of the posts lighting up on the siren - visually nice and actually effective.

The zinger bails in cricket should be used in Tests - sure they have their flaws but as a cricket purist, I love their functionality far more than the design.

For run outs / stumpings it is a highly effective way of working out when stumps are broken (albeit the rules might need to be adjusted.

And for the crowd, particularly the plebs at square leg - you can see what is going on.

It's a good idea, but you'd have to make sure the audience understands the rules, or change them, because the end of the quarter won't be when everything lights up, it's still when the umpires signal it to be over. Even if it's early (yeah I know the irony of my posting this cos I go for Freo)

Far too sensible to be implemented until we have at least 3 more incidents.

Yep. Notice how quickly the Hawks-Crows sirengate fiasco was swept under the carpet. Barely registered a mention.

Incidentally, the first goal of that match by Pods hit the post. Not even reviewed.

Just link the buzzer in the umpire's earpiece to the actual siren somehow. When the real siren goes off, the umpire hears something in his earpiece at the same time not some system where they can drift a couple of seconds apart over a quarter of footy as time is called on and off. They must be directly linked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if it was about to sail through the goals and some of the rubber shrapnel from the explosion hit the post? Would we make a rule saying that "most of the ball went through?" This would be great comedy, with a video review and a tape measure held up to the screen to determine percentage of ball through.

Maybe we need the ball to implode instead. That way, there is no shrapnel. Safer for the players as well.

I like the idea. Let's do it.

Maybe we need the ball to implode instead. That way, there is no shrapnel. Safer for the players as well.

I like the idea. Let's do it.

What if it imploded in your hands and they got sucked into the vacuum created? Might have to go on the injury list with a diagnosis of "hand implosion".

Or on grand final day:

"This to win the grand final for the Swans! Buddy kicks it. It's a mammoth kick and it's going all the way...oops, the ball has imploded and fallen on Hannebury's head!! Hawthorn are premiers 2014!"

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back