Big Bad Bustling Tyrone Vickery

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get 3-5 and no question he deserves it, but it wasn't a king hit

I know gen y have things a bit softer these days, but that simply isn't what a king hit is

He will get 3-5 and no question he deserves it, but it wasn't a king hit

I know gen y have things a bit softer these days, but that simply isn't what a king hit is
the definition of a coward hit is a hit where the person is not expecting it or able to defend themselves from it. I'd say it applies here.

What if that punch had hit him in the temple? what would the result be then to Cox?

Just urging all the Hawks fans to hold back your comments, as Clarko has pointed out we don't need these trial by media cases. Stay strong folks.

the definition of a coward hit is a hit where the person is not expecting it or able to defend themselves from it. I'd say it applies here.

What if that punch had hit him in the temple? what would the result be then to Cox?

Actually that's only half the definition of what makes a king hit, so you kind of made my point for me

Like Cox's hit on Vickery?

Haha. The extended vision makes the best viewing.
As Cox is coming back to Vickery getting ready for the boundary throw in he CLEARLY ELBOWS Vickery in the guts/chest.
Vickery has then taken his revenge on the old campaigner.
I'm no Richmond fan but got to say I'm impressed with Vickery here. Clean strike to the jaw, even made it sort of look like it was unintentional keeping his eyes on the ball.
Good effort Vickery!
Would love to see it get zero weeks but will get 2-3.
Will be interesting to see if Cox's elbow gets mentioned at the Tribunal.

Haha. The extended vision makes the best viewing.
As Cox is coming back to Vickery getting ready for the boundary throw in he CLEARLY ELBOWS Vickery in the guts/chest.
Vickery has then taken his revenge on the old campaigner.
I'm no Richmond fan but got to say I'm impressed with Vickery here. Clean strike to the jaw, even made it sort of look like it was unintentional keeping his eyes on the ball.
Good effort Vickery!
Would love to see it get zero weeks but will get 2-3.
Will be interesting to see if Cox's elbow gets mentioned at the Tribunal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually that's only half the definition of what makes a king hit, so you kind of made my point for me
no not really, what is the definition then? enlighten me with your non Gen Y age definition.

As per WIKI, (this is an urban term so Wiki is as good a definition as you can get anywhere) 'A sucker punch, also known as a king-hit or coward-punch, is a punch made without warning, allowing no time for preparation or defense on the part of the recipient. The term is generally reserved for situations where the way in which the punch has been delivered is considered unfair or unethical'

Like Cox's hit on Vickery?

Id say the contact COx made isn't completely unforeseeable in a rucking duel - also happens on a weekly basis trying to establish position, also it wasnt a punch and it didnt make contact with his head. If you want to argue that then Cox's actions were on the very very low spectrum of it and what Vickery did could've had very serious consequences.

no not really, what is the definition then? enlighten me with your non Gen Y age definition.

As per WIKI, (this is an urban term so Wiki is as good a definition as you can get anywhere) 'A sucker punch, also known as a king-hit or coward-punch, is a punch made without warning, allowing no time for preparation or defense on the part of the recipient. The term is generally reserved for situations where the way in which the punch has been delivered is considered unfair or unethical'.

It's the degree of force that's missing, a king hit uses a big wind back that you normally wouldn't get away with front on (because it exposes you so much, as you a telegraphing the punch from a mile away), which is why is delivers so much force.

I'm guessing the main fights you've seen in your life are the pat-a-cake push fests nice private school boys engage in (god forbid someone actually get smacked in the head)

Nobodies whingeing. Stop being obtuse.

What level of impact would you say Vickeries hit was?

It wasn't brute force that knocked him out. Vickery was unlucky to connect right on the point of the jaw that cuts off circulation to the brain. If Cox had taken a free instead it's probably worth two weeks, but being KO'd probably doubles the penalty.

I don't think he had any intention of knocking Cox out. He'll pay a price, but it was actually refreshing to see from a player who's been relentlessly criticised for lacking physical presence.

Last edited:
As per WIKI, (this is an urban term so Wiki is as good a definition as you can get anywhere) 'A sucker punch, also known as a king-hit or coward-punch, is a punch made without warning, allowing no time for preparation or defense on the part of the recipient. The term is generally reserved for situations where the way in which the punch has been delivered is considered unfair or unethical'

The definition as related by my old man is a punch delivered from behind where the victim is totally unsuspecting, e.g. Clarkson/Aitken.

It wasn't brute force that knocked him out. Vickery was unlucky to connect right on the point of the jaw that cuts off circulation to the brain. If Cox had taken a free instead it's probably worth two weeks, but being KO'd probably doubles the penalty.

I don't think he had any intention of knocking Cox out. He'll pay a price, but it was actually refreshing to see from a player who's been relentlessly criticised for lacking physical presence.

Where did u get your anatomy degree from? Getting knocked out from a punch like that has nothing to do with a lack of blood flow to the brain.

Where did u get your anatomy degree from? Getting knocked out from a punch like that has nothing to do with a lack of blood flow to the brain.

Pretty sure arterial compression/lack of blood flow causes a KO, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: On doing some reading, it turns out that the "button" or "sweet spot" is a bit of a myth. KO of this type is caused by head rotation constricting a neck artery. Still related to lack of blood flow, though.

Last edited:
It wasn't even a proper punch! Hit the guy with his wrist, and then opens his hand. Yeah huge impact there! disgusting king hit???? hahaha. What the **** is wrong with you people? It's pretty hilarious to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back