Kallis retires from all forms of international cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

It's sad, but to quote a wise old saying, it's better to have people say about you, "Why are you retiring?" instead of "Why the hell are you still playing?" Kallis will be remembered as one of the all time great all rounders: his numbers in all forms of the game are nothing short of incredible.

Was really looking forward to seeing him go around one more time in the World Cup. If he comes out here and has a great Big Bash, you just never know.

Starting following cricket intensely as a 9-year-old during the summer of 2000/2001 with Australia's home 5-Test series against the Windies. From the players I grew up watching, I think now only Vettori and Chanderpaul remain :(

Champion.

Made the right call though, form was very scratchy of late.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/kallis-...l-cricket/tabid/91/newsid/139247/default.aspx

"The 38-year-old Kallis retired from Tests and Twenty20s in December but remained available for one-day internationals in the hope of making the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand in February at the age of 39. But he conceded on Wednesday that wouldn't happen, and said he came to his decision to give up all internationals after the recent ODI series in Sri Lanka, where he scored 0, 1 and 4 and didn't bowl. "I realised in Sri Lanka that my dream of playing in a World Cup was a bridge too far. I just knew on that tour that I was done," Kallis said in a statement released by Cricket South Africa."

It's quite sad to see a legend of the game go out like that. It would have been nice to see him in the WC. Reminds me when Ricky retired before the Ashes series. Well Done Kallis, an amazing career!!!

Not sure it can be disputed he is the greatest all rounder.

For me but he is arguably the best batsman outside of bradman as well. No other all rounders batted at 3 or 4 their whole career. Take him over Tendluka every day of the week.

Great player and we are lucky we watched him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, he was an amazing player, but surely Sobers has got him covered in the all-rounder stakes.
Having not seen Sobers, what was his fielding like? (Please use post-2000 comparisons)

Having not seen Sobers, what was his fielding like? (Please use post-2000 comparisons)

But this is the problem with comparing across time zones. Coaching, nutrition, fitness, skills, techniques, how and when to train - everything changes so comparing standards is so difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back