Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To follow up Sam Durdin in the PD trial run on the D&T board, I selection with my round two pick a bid bodied mid from the Geelong Falcons - Jackson Nelson.
I did think about guys like McKenzie, Keitel & Garlett but thought he in combination with Cripps would form a pretty good midfield duo for a number of years to come.

This is Chris25's write up of him, which sums him up very well.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/young-talent-time-2014.1050546/page-16#post-34063921

Last edited:

HBF

Is Nelson a Holman-type who is 187 cms and hard at the ball?

Even looks a little like Nick. :)

From what i've seen he doesn't have the nastiness streak in him like Holman.
What I like about him, and this is what I wrote in the D&T thread is that he just busts his gut to get to every contest.
I saw him play against Eastern a couple of months ago and he was damn impressive.
Just racked up touches all day and played essentially between the arcs all day.
His kicking is sound, and he can kick pretty well on his non-dominant footy.

Just a shame he copped a heavy bump against WA just before half time.

you passed on 'Harvey' Keitel. A cult figure in the making and not just cos he's a KPF. :p

Harvey+Keitel.jpg

#inhbfwetrust

To follow up Sam Durdin in the PD trial run on the D&T board, I selection with my round two pick a bid bodied mid from the Geelong Falcons - Jackson Nelson.
I did think about guys like McKenzie, Keitel & Garlett but thought he in combination with Cripps would form a pretty good midfield duo for a number of years to come.

This is Chris25's write up of him, which sums him up very well.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/young-talent-time-2014.1050546/page-16#post-34063921

Holding judgment on your recruiting career until after all your selections.

Interestingly, with my preferred selections in this thread a few weeks back I had Laverde with our 1st pick and McKenzie with our 2nd. Both those players went directly after your picks :cry::cry:

I had Viojo as my 3rd for his footskills and Hone as our 4th to replace Gartlett as a small forward. Interesting to see where the boys go in the trial PD.

Holding judgment on your recruiting career until after all your selections.

Interestingly, with my preferred selections in this thread a few weeks back I had Laverde with our 1st pick and McKenzie with our 2nd. Both those players went directly after your picks :cry::cry:

I had Viojo as my 3rd for his footskills and Hone as our 4th to replace Gartlett as a small forward. Interesting to see where the boys go in the trial PD.

I did consider structuring my recruiting process like that, but the fact of the matter is I simply haven't seen McKenzie play enough footy, and just can't base my selection on one VM trial match. Durdin IMO is just too good to pass up at 5, even though he had poor champs.

I did consider structuring my recruiting process like that, but the fact of the matter is I simply haven't seen McKenzie play enough footy, and just can't base my selection on one VM trial match. Durdin IMO is just too good to pass up at 5, even though he had poor champs.

Yes well I hope the Carlton's recruiters are watching him closely. He could be the next genuine power forward behind McCartin. Still raw as he played basketball last year. 10 TAC cup goals followed up by 16 at in School football. Get down the the Northern Knights HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes well I hope the Carlton's recruiters are watching him closely. He could be the next genuine power forward behind McCartin. Still raw as he played basketball last year. 10 TAC cup goals followed up by 16 at in School football. Get down the the Northern Knights HBF.

The Knights are on my hit list as are the Jets.

The way the rest of the year is shaping up for Carlton I dare say our pick is going to be in the 6-8 range anyway, so La Varde is a big chance to be selected by myself when the fair dinkum PD comes around.

Just done a Ladder Predictor again. Lets assume that the GCS finds some form again and can beat St. Kilda, Carlton and the Eagles in rd 23 they would (theoretically) end up finishing 10th x3 games clear of Richmond (so could drop 1-2 of those games too and not change their position). Say Carlton also finish 14th ahead of Melbourne, who lose Frawley and are awarded a Band 1 compo pick.

Draft order from my predicted ladder would be something like

#1. St. Kilda
#2. Giants
#3. Lions
#4. Melbourne
#5. Melbourne (Compo)
#6. Carlton
#7. Bulldogs
#8. Eagles
#9. Richmond
#10. GCS
#11. Adelaide
#12. Collingwood
#13. North
#14. Port
#15. Freo
#16. Geelong
#17. GCS (Geelong compo)
#18. Hawthorn
#19. Sydney
#20. Essendon
#21. GWS (Compo)
#22. St. Kilda
#23. Giants
#24. Lions
#25. Melbourne
#26. Carlton
#27. Bulldogs
#28. Eagles
#29. Richmond
#30. GCS

So under this scenario the GCS would end up with #10 and #17, Carlton with #6.

So my question is would a 5 spot improvement in the GCS 1st selection (from #10 to #6) be worth the #18 compo pick ??? Would an exchange of second rd picks also be required to even out the trade, so Carlton get #10, #17 and #30 for #6 and #26. If the top 15ish players is fairly even, and the talls fairly even too outside of the top handful (Wright/McCartin/Durdin), and the GCS still need to trim back their list, then will this be a suitable option for both sides allowing Carlton to target quantity to improve our list while the GCS can target a player in the top 10 they may lose access to with their original pick ???

EDIT. Fixed up some picks.

Last edited:
Just done a Ladder Predictor again. Lets assume that the GCS finds some form again and can beat St. Kilda, Carlton and the Eagles in rd 23 they would (theoretically) end up finishing 10th x3 games clear of Richmond (so could drop 1-2 of those games too and not change their position). Say Carlton also finish 14th ahead of Melbourne, who lose Frawley and are awarded a Band 1 compo pick.

Draft order from my predicted ladder would be something like

#1. St. Kilda
#2. Giants
#3. Lions
#4. Melbourne
#5. Melbourne (Compo)
#6. Carlton
#7. Bulldogs
#8. Eagles
#9. Richmond
#10. GCS
#11. Adelaide
#12. Collingwood
#13. North
#14. Port
#15. Freo
#16. Geelong
#17. GCS (Geelong compo)
#18. Hawthorn
#19. Sydney
#20. Essendon
#21. GWS (Compo)
#22. St. Kilda
#23. Giants
#24. Lions
#25. Melbourne
#26. Carlton
#27. Bulldogs
#28. Eagles
#29. Richmond
#30. GCS

So under this scenario the GCS would end up with #10 and #17, Carlton with #6.

So my question is would a 5 spot improvement in the GCS 1st selection (from #10 to #6) be worth the #18 compo pick ??? Would an exchange of second rd picks also be required to even out the trade, so Carlton get #10, #17 and #30 for #6 and #26. If the top 15ish players is fairly even, and the talls fairly even too outside of the top handful (Wright/McCartin/Durdin), and the GCS still need to trim back their list, then will this be a suitable option for both sides allowing Carlton to target quantity to improve our list while the GCS can target a player in the top 10 they may lose access to with their original pick ???

EDIT. Fixed up some picks.

Melbourne compo :mad:

In what world is frawley worth pick 5..... regardless if a team is willing to pay 6-800k for him..... this FA thing needs to be looked at. He has done nothing to warrant that sort of compo like Ablett or even Daisy, who although isnt a brownlow medalist was regarded as the best player in the comp not to long ago.

If anything Frawley gets them an end of 1st round. Shits me to tears this.

Hughes did to get Hartlett. Cue shitfight

Watched the Jets play Dragons today. A few boys from my local club play for jets, so took my son to watch.

Laverde played more midfield than forward, didn't do a lot as a mid. He has a strong body and absorbed tackles well. Had a few highlight moments as a forward, kicks the ball well.

Ellis impressed me in the midfield, has a laser left boot and very composed with the ball.

These were the main 2 I kept watching.

Watched the Jets play Dragons today. A few boys from my local club play for jets, so took my son to watch.

Laverde played more midfield than forward, didn't do a lot as a mid. He has a strong body and absorbed tackles well. Had a few highlight moments as a forward, kicks the ball well.

Ellis impressed me in the midfield, has a laser left boot and very composed with the ball.

These were the main 2 I kept watching.
Ellis? I haven't heard of him, is he a bottom ager or a player for late in the draft to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back