The Official Ben10 Coleman Medal 2015 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nailing my dick to the floor Zondorfishes style on this one.

We will see 60 - 70 of Benathon's trademark 40m banana set shot off one foot then celebrating by staring balefully at approaching team mates as if selecting which is to die that day, before reluctantly accepting a brief headpat, flashing a winning smile, then jogging back to the square.

Bookmark it.

A few interesting Ben10 related things happened this week. On the Couch they were talking about the All Australian team and how it will be full of first time All Australians. Stupid Gerard Healy then proceeded to name them including about 6 (admittedly probably deserved) Swans players. Jaw dropingly, Mike Sheahan chimes in with: "and here's one from left field, I think Ben Cunnington has had a really good season at North Melbourne". Awkward pause... No-one knows what to say. The usually excellent Jason Dunstall then says "I haven't seen enough of them." And then they moved on to a new topic.

Interestingly Dunstall was on North commentating duties and as we know almost fell off his chair at the nonchalant way Cunners kicked that banana goal. Hopefully he may have finally discovered Cunnington's rather unique, slow motion, 'take the piss' style that we all know and love. At the very least I think Cunnington will be at the forefront of Dunstall's mind for the next few weeks so I hope his form continues on an upwards trajectory.

I realise that we North fans collectively play the victim card a lot (I think it stems from some very real victimisation we suffered in Gold Coast War years). Yes we dramatically overplay the idea that the AFL hates us and the media don't mention us and the MRP is out to get us blah blah blah... But with Cunnington it's very real and it's just so unfair. He is a young star that get's literally no airplay time. The fact that I got so excited about one single 5 second mention in a whole weeks worth of AFL related tv shows proves this point.

What I don't get is that he's quite a 'flashy' player and usually the media LOVES flashy players. I don't mean that he's flashy in the Cyril Rioli sense with heaps of pace and dash and dazzle. He's Ben Cunnington flashy. He reminds me of Roger Federer in his hey day, so graceful it looks like he's not even trying, even though we know he's giving his all. I believe that he's made grunt inside midfielder work an art form. First he dismantles the ball from a pack sometimes employing a signature fend off, then seemingly time slows down as he glides through the traffic, a lot of the time he holds the ball out with one outstretched hand as if to say "go on, try to get it, yeah that's what I thought". Then comes the handball, you (along with everyone else in the stadium) have no idea where he'll send it because he sees things other players don't. And he does all this with a blank, nonchalant almost bored expression on his face as, if he's doing his ironing or something.

If he does get a mention by a commentator it's only something like "we know Cunnington is a tough nut". (Is this appearance induced?) And yes he is definitely among the toughest of nuts and we love it. But he's so much more than this and one day I pray that the wider footy world start giving him the credit he deserves. I think you need blonde dreads or something to get this though...

A few interesting Ben10 related things happened this week. On the Couch they were talking about the All Australian team and how it will be full of first time All Australians. Stupid Gerard Healy then proceeded to name them including about 6 (admittedly probably deserved) Swans players. Jaw dropingly, Mike Sheahan chimes in with: "and here's one from left field, I think Ben Cunnington has had a really good season at North Melbourne". Awkward pause... No-one knows what to say. The usually excellent Jason Dunstall then says "I haven't seen enough of them." And then they moved on to a new topic.

Interestingly Dunstall was on North commentating duties and as we know almost fell off his chair at the nonchalant way Cunners kicked that banana goal. Hopefully he may have finally discovered Cunnington's rather unique, slow motion, 'take the piss' style that we all know and love. At the very least I think Cunnington will be at the forefront of Dunstall's mind for the next few weeks so I hope his form continues on an upwards trajectory.

I realise that we North fans collectively play the victim card a lot (I think it stems from some very real victimisation we suffered in Gold Coast War years). Yes we dramatically overplay the idea that the AFL hates us and the media don't mention us and the MRP is out to get us blah blah blah... But with Cunnington it's very real and it's just so unfair. He is a young star that get's literally no airplay time. The fact that I got so excited about one single 5 second mention in a whole weeks worth of AFL related tv shows proves this point.

What I don't get is that he's quite a 'flashy' player and usually the media LOVES flashy players. I don't mean that he's flashy in the Cyril Rioli sense with heaps of pace and dash and dazzle. He's Ben Cunnington flashy. He reminds me of Roger Federer in his hey day, so graceful it looks like he's not even trying, even though we know he's giving his all. I believe that he's made grunt inside midfielder work an art form. First he dismantles the ball from a pack sometimes employing a signature fend off, then seemingly time slows down as he glides through the traffic, a lot of the time he holds the ball out with one outstretched hand as if to say "go on, try to get it, yeah that's what I thought". Then comes the handball, you (along with everyone else in the stadium) have no idea where he'll send it because he sees things other players don't. And he does all this with a blank, nonchalant almost bored expression on his face as, if he's doing his ironing or something.

If he does get a mention by a commentator it's only something like "we know Cunnington is a tough nut". (Is this appearance induced?) And yes he is definitely among the toughest of nuts and we love it. But he's so much more than this and one day I pray that the wider footy world start giving him the credit he deserves. I think you need blonde dreads or something to get this though...

It will come mate.
When we are genuinely top 4 he will probably be our best player (him or Atley in my opinion) & if we are to become a contender within the next 18 months some of our players will get noticed. More & more.

Load up for the brown low next year.
Brownlow/Coleman/Norm Smith trifecta?

Co

correct on all points!

Ben10HoldingSharkHeJustWrestledFromTheSurgingWatersOfTheSouthernOcean.jpg

And then he goes and kicks four in the last quarter.

(Tremendous post btw, captured him perfectly)

I don't give a s**t about early recognition, they will pay attention when we lift the cup up. Some do but I don't.

I do like to see Jack and Ben, go forward and kick goals. We need our midfield to generate goals consistently to be a dangerous team.

Ben is dangerous because he is a solid mark, hard to tackle one-on-one and a good kick. Looking at Petrie, Black, Brown, Adams and Cunnington... if i had to pick one to shoot from 30m out dead in front to save my life it would be Cunnington, Brown... then I would be searching for a shot gun to blow my head off myself.

Not a lot of faith in the other options. Dish should have kicked 5, ended up with 2 and dropped another 3 or 4 very gettable marks.

:thumbsu:You could try and come up with more superlatives, but really why bother. They would simply pale in comparison to the sublime, smashing the nail on the head eloquence of Augustine & his hands down post of the year brilliance.

12 stars :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant thread - will have longevity.

I love Cunners, and am amazingly, inexpressibly grateful that we selected him in his draft year. He was in all the phantom drafts at that spot and at the time I wondered why we just went with the general consensus and picked him. I could not be happier that we did. He is one of those rare, rare footballers who marches to his own beat. I think he would be already intimidating for opposition players because they, like us and probably all of his team mates (as you alluded to Augustine) genuinely have NO idea what he is going to do sometimes. Plus he regularly exhibits sublime skill that is just about unmatched in this era or any other.

I don't care if no-one notices him and never wins a major individual award. Couldn't give a rats. I'm just so grateful that I get to watch him play football 20 odd times a year. I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league, and I mean anyone. I hope he feels the same about us.

I missed most of Wayne Carey's career because I lived overseas from 1995-2004, but I'm not going anywhere this time. I think we're all very privileged to watch him play and whether others cotton on or they don't, I could care less.

:thumbsu:You could try and come up with more superlatives, but really why bother. They would simply pale in comparison to the sublime, smashing the nail on the head eloquence of Augustine & his hands down post of the year brilliance.

12 stars :thumbsu:

Cunners does that to us, Grogg. He turns you into an eloquent, prose-writing, football officianado, like very few others are able to do.

Agree with your assessment - it was a brilliant post.

Cunnington's banana goal:

indiana-jones-gun-beats-sword-o.gif

Love the post. And I love Cunners. But ...

He has had an up and down season like the rest of the team. And he has drifted out of too many games to be a serious All Australian consideration. When he starts changing the momentum of matches on a weekly basis - and we all know he has the upside potential - he'll be an All Australian lock. And I for one, can't wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back