Strategy The actual positive thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point this season is a write off apart from finding out which players are going to be part of our future and which ones aren't.

It's time to throw the magnets around and by that, I mean play players in their positions they are naturally accustomed to.

I'm actually quite bullish about next year at this stage believe it or not.

I think our future backline is almost sorted and it actually looks pretty good in my books. Just need someone to step up into a back Flank role who is not named Sheezel, Fisher or Scott. Hopefully we'll get a good look at Hardeman in that HBF role later this year.

This is how I see it currently.

Bergman/ ArcherLogueK or W Dawson
???CombenGoater

Our midfield with another 12 months of experience and conditioning under their belt will improve. There's a fair bit of talent there as we know. It just needs time.

ScottWardlawMcKercher
XerriLDUSheezel

Also rotating through are Powell, Phillips, Simpkin, Lazzaro? and Smillie?

As for the forward line, who knows? At the moment it likely includes the following. I think Fisher needs to be sent forward. He's a good set shot and has reasonable forward craft.

Fisher???Duursma
CurtisLarkeyFord

With a game plan that sees us playing at AFL standard and higher expectations, this is a team that can start to take us forward and drag us out of this mire. It's also a team that finally puts the likes of McDonald, Corr, Stephens, CCJ and Tucker behind us.

Hopefully between now and the end of the year, another 1 or 2 names put their hand up out of those not listed.

Last edited:
Great post Better Loosen Up!

The major difference between 2022 and 2024, is the faint light at the end of the tunnel.

The feeling I get with this group, is that they'll skip being midtable, and that once Sheezel, Comben, Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher, Curtis, Ford, Goater, Powell, Hardeman, George, and W. Dawson hit that 50 game mark, we'll rise up the ladder and never look back.

Not a place for snark. Not a place to joke ‘we’re positively shite’.

Just a thread for genuine positives, for a supporter base that bloody needs to read something other than ‘[insert player/coach name] = [spud/leaving at end of year]”.

May be a short threat, granted. But have at it.

Only 16 more loses to go.

The only positive I saw yesterday was that Paul Curtis has another string to his bow.

Strong little *er could actually be a midfielder if he can build that tank.
Agree re Curtis. A real positive so far this year. He and Comben are the improvements/developments we hoped to see at the start of the year.

So for our 2027 premiership, who is locked in (assuming no exits/successful returns from injury).

Almost certainly, even if some are necessarily early calls:
  • Sheez
  • Larkey
  • Wardlaw
  • Curtis
  • Comben
  • Logue
  • LDU
  • McKercher
  • Dursma
  • Scott?

more likely than not, but still more of a wait and see than the above in my view:
- X

Hopeful
  • dawson
  • ford
  • goater
Need then to come on in leaps and bounds to be missing links
- finbar

Thoughts? Our biggest problem at the moment is that beyond the above the standard is extremely ‘sub’, and the above need to play together for 2-3 more years to really gel. And then we have to find 8 or so more quality players, most urgently a quality back, tall rangy wingman, a marking CHF, and a crumbling forward with pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The footy club needs to go all out and bring a fair dinkum on field role model to the club next year. Pay whatever it costs to bring a Pendlebury or Callan Ward type to be an on-field general and coach for a couple of years. The leaders we have don't know how to lead so we need to find someone from outside ala Barry Davis in 1973. The kids need some inspiration and Zurrharr, Corr, McDonald and co. aren't it.

Freo have picks 9,10 and 14. What are people's thoughts on trading pick 1 for 9, 10 and 14. Would Freo do that? Would NM do that?

No way. If you are trading pick 1 for picks there has to be at least one top 5 pick in there as a minimum. Pick 3 would be better.

Would need to be something similar to what we were offering the Eagles last year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a place for snark. Not a place to joke ‘we’re positively shite’.

Just a thread for genuine positives, for a supporter base that bloody needs to read something other than ‘[insert player/coach name] = [spud/leaving at end of year]”.

May be a short threat, granted. But have at it.

Already have two of these threads. Do we really need another one? Here's a link to one of them below.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back