Bad News for Aussie Jones and Footy in Bendigo?

Remove this Banner Ad

If they received support from the local league as North Ballarat do, they would be going OK. The VFL cannot afford to lose any stand alone teams with the amount of AFL reserves sides set to grow (St Kilda split with Sandringham at the end of this year, I believe), we are in danger of being overwhelmed by stronger and more popular opposition, which will erode the power base of established former VFA clubs.

If the Bendigo Gold are to fold, then they need to be replaced by a country team that actually has the support of the community and the league.

Exactly.

The Bendigo league screwed the Gold. No-one else.

The problem with the Gold is NOT the Bendigo league.

The problem was two-fold.

1. Did not have their own base/social venue to generate significant revenue.

2. Did not have the upfront cash to chase some well know players early, to create early interest and success (which helps cash flow).

The problem with the Gold is NOT the Bendigo league.

The problem was two-fold.

1. Did not have their own base/social venue to generate significant revenue.

2. Did not have the upfront cash to chase some well know players early, to create early interest and success (which helps cash flow).

It was not helped by the fact the best players in the league were either not allowed to (by their clubs) or didn't want to be involved in the side. Maybe, just maybe, had that been different, it would have been more competitive.

Disappointing stuff. As a Gold listed player I wrote my thoughts here ...

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...s-perspective-of-what-the-club-means/?cs=2854
People should have a look at how the Coburg boys feel about their club. They absolutely love it. Having spoken to a couple of them they state after half a season they would never play for another VFL club. Bendigo could generate the same feeling and obviously generates it for some people. Real shame but reality is tough sometimes.

what happens to the players at Bendigo Gold, play at another VFL club or local footy?

it's their choice, they can basically go wherever they want. Apparently Coburg are interested in a couple, and I have no doubt we might take one or two back since we did have the alignment

I reckon Bendigo should have merged with Coburg.
Coburg have one of the best home grounds and Bendigo had the worst. Bendigo didn't have a sponsor by the end of the year. Coburg does. Even their home ground has a sponsor. But what do they have in common. Both teams sit around the bottom of the ladder.
image.jpg

2014 Don't mind Casey Scorpons. I'm surprised they dropped 11 spots in one year
image.jpg

I reckon Bendigo should have merged with Coburg.

So... you want a club that's 50% based in Melbourne, and 50% based in Bendigo?

Now before people start bringing up other examples, North Ballarat's alignment with the Roos has been about players and nothing else, while when the Bombers were aligned with Bendigo, they had Essendon's colours, Essendon's song, even their logo was the same. In other words, one side had more clout than the other, and all parties were happy with it.

What Fizzler has suggested is a club that has been around for a quite a while, and has strong ties to the local community, merging with a newer club 150km up the road. Where would their head office be? How would they split home games?

So... you want a club that's 50% based in Melbourne, and 50% based in Bendigo?

Now before people start bringing up other examples, North Ballarat's alignment with the Roos has been about players and nothing else, while when the Bombers were aligned with Bendigo, they had Essendon's colours, Essendon's song, even their logo was the same. In other words, one side had more clout than the other, and all parties were happy with it.

What Fizzler has suggested is a club that has been around for a quite a while, and has strong ties to the local community, merging with a newer club 150km up the road. Where would their head office be? How would they split home games?
The team would be called Coburg Gold or something and they'd play most games at Coburg and then play a few in bendigo each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance that one of the stronger Bendigo FL clubs could be admitted to the VFL? That model seems to have worked brilliantly with North Ballarat.

Don't know much about the Bendigo clubs but just going off results maybe South Bendigo or Sandhurst would be candidates?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back