Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be an absolute determination from the coaches not to play Lyons in the centre square.

It reeks a little of the Craig/Walker dynamic.

Lyons can do some things well, other things not so much. The coaches seem to be trying to make a point with him - not let him just play to his strengths but to overcome his perceived flaws.

I reckon coaches box themselves in with this attitude. If Lyons plays in the guts tomorrow and gets a ton of clearances = Sando you idiot, we could have had that all along. So he won't. No one likes being shown up. Same if Walker kicked goals for Neil without doing all the other stuff Neil valued so highly. That's cheating! So we stick with forwards who tackle but can't kick a goal to save their life.

I reckon we are cutting off our nose to spite our face.
I dont think there is enough time for him to run back to the middle after a goal.

Fair enough. But what if it really does help?

Remember that Walker tackle from that Sydney game in 2012. Ran 50 metres into the middle of the ground to chase down Jetta and put enough pressure on him to squib the kick. Walkers pressure has been fantastic and I think he is a very complete player. Could that have been achieved without Craig forcing him to unfairly pay his dues - who knows.

Well, his highest tackles per game average was achieved...

drumroll

....during his 2009 debut season.

What a waste of time all that was.

Well, Craig's idiocy ended up costing him his job. Let's hope Sando grows in the role and learns, rather than shrink and cling desperately to failing ideals.

Their is a bit of difference between Walker and Lyons. If I had to pick between Thommo and Lyons, Thommo wins hands down 100% of the time. For the record Lyons has played in the centre several times and has done sweet FA in the last two games as we got smashed out the centre. He isn't the answer. Some players are great at SANFL level but simply cant make the grade in the same position at AFL level. Brett Ebert is a classic case. Won a Magary medal out the centre for the Magpies but couldn't get a game in the centre for the Power. Matty Thomas and Brad Symes are more examples of AFL players dominating SANFL. Remember SANFL based AFL listed players have superior fitness bases than their opposition and the game moves a lot slower than AFL level. Lyons has a knack for goal kicking. Perhaps his role is forward pocket/half forward.

Their is a bit of difference between Walker and Lyons. If I had to pick between Thommo and Lyons, Thommo wins hands down 100% of the time.
There is no reason for you to have to pick between them but that's nice.

For the record Lyons has played in the centre several times and has done sweet FA in the last two games as we got smashed out the centre.
For the record, no he hasn't.

He isn't the answer. Some players are great at SANFL level but simply cant make the grade in the same position at AFL level. Brett Ebert is a classic case. Won a Magary medal out the centre for the Magpies but couldn't get a game in the centre for the Power. Matty Thomas and Brad Symes are more examples of AFL players dominating SANFL. Remember SANFL based AFL listed players have superior fitness bases than their opposition and the game moves a lot slower than AFL level. Lyons has a knack for goal kicking. Perhaps his role is forward pocket/half forward.
Yeah, there's probably a few examples of players who did ok at SANFL/VFL/WAFL level and went on to do well at AFL level too.

Well, Craig's idiocy ended up costing him his job. Let's hope Sando grows in the role and learns, rather than shrink and cling desperately to failing ideals.

Always said that a lot of what cost Craig his job was well within his control, and that Sando is heading right down the same path.

I hope the difference is that Sanderson has experienced a sharp drop, whereas Craig had a team at the peak of it's powers for two full seasons before gradually trailing off. This might just force Sanderson to reassess his position on a few things quick smart, whereas Craig knew that what he was doing clearly worked, but just didn't adapt to the stock that he had to work with*.

* Edit: or the ever changing AFL landscape for that matter.

Sando does not appear to be as stubborn as Craig & aware of his weaknesses. Just a question of whether he & noble are cluey enough to get better quality assistants around him & improve fitness team.

If he was aware of his weaknesses you'd think he'd stop making the same mistakes.
Can't do it all - need a good team. We have numerous assistants but lack quality with different background & ideas. Head coach should be settling direction & manage team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was aware of his weaknesses you'd think he'd stop making the same mistakes.

I also don't believe he was allowed to bottom out and just play the kids to allow them to gain that match day experience. I firmly believe he was given intrusions to stay competitive at all cost and he's not willing to take that risk with certain players. That's why we continue to recruit certain players who fit a particular demographic.

If you believe the rumours - tomorrow is a farewell game. If he doesn't retire, bringing him back is just perplexing.

Bringing in an out of form senior player who you appear to have (or should have) ruled a line through for a game in which finals are likely to still be on the line is perplexing enough, I'll be furious if its for a farewell game.

Bringing in an out of form senior player who you appear to have (or should have) ruled a line through for a game in which finals are likely to still be on the line is perplexing enough, I'll be furious if its for a farewell game.

Why?

The probability is very low that we will play finals and a 200 gamer deserves a farewell game.

Why?

The probability is very low that we will play finals and a 200 gamer deserves a farewell game.

It's a crock that a player deserves a farewell game, especially at the AFC where we bleat about always putting our best 22 on the park. If Reilly gets delisted, he can comfort himself with all of the 2015 money that he didn't actually deserve.

It's a crock that a player deserves a farewell game, especially at the AFC where we bleat about always putting our best 22 on the park. If Reilly gets delisted, he can comfort himself with all of the 2015 money that he didn't actually deserve.

I hope you never said a negative word about the way Tippett or Gunston left as you are basically suggesting the AFL is just a business now and any emotion has been removed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back